PDA

View Full Version : Boodoughcan Seminar in Chiba...............

Troll Basher
10th March 2003, 04:22
For those of you that are on this board and attended what did you think of the "Boodoughcan Seminar"?

Steve Delaney
10th March 2003, 08:08
It was enjoyable only because we could actually socialize with the other participants of the seminar. The interpreters were great as always, but the Budokan staff were completely anal. Someone needed to set them straight that what we did this year at the seminar is exactly what we have been doing since we attended our first seminar.

I think the administrators tried to clamp down on us unruly foreigners after some gobshite made a nuisance of himself in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The Budokan staff members' attitude towards most of us was condescending at the best of times. Remember the threat "If you don't attend the lectures on Sunday morning, you won't be allowed to attend the farewell party!" It sounds like they were talking to a bunch of kiddies at the local yochien, not to a bunch of dedicated budoka.

Another thing that irked me was that we weren't free to choose what Taiken Budo we wanted to do. We were simply herded like cattle into two groups and told that we could only do the budo that we were assigned to do in that group.

The Araki Ryu lecture, demonstration and experience portion was as every other kobudo school that has performed at the seminars in previous years, very good.

The fact that the staff wouldn't let us socialize with one another after hours tainted the whole enjoyment of the seminar. The whole thing about the staff closing off both the lobby and the cafeteria area after 10:30pm was so out of order, it was ridiculous.

They better have a nicer attitude and a better format of organization
for the next seminar.

One last thing, gratitude should be expressed to Alex Bennet, Derek Steel, Michael Komoto and Sean for smoothing over everything with the anal retentive administration. I'm sure that they put up with a lot of complaints from both sides and had to act diplomatically.

P Goldsbury
10th March 2003, 10:03
Steve,

I attended the 3rd International Budo Seminar way back in 1991. Apart from meeting Meik Skoss and Diane, Phil Relnick and other interesting participants, I remember rather arid lectures, some short on historical/factual accuracy, with rather hit & miss translation.

The International Budo Seminar conforms to the Japanese concept of a university kenshukai, with the difference that the participants help to create the impression that it is a 'true' Japanese international gathering.

A kenshukai is the academic equivalent of an organized group tour. You go somewhere out of your normal routine and then all you do is follow the schedule, listen (or not, as the case may be) to long lectures given by those in authority, carry out instructions given by others in authority, participate in group activities, eat, take a bath (a high point of the day) and sleep. Displays of individualism are resolutely frowned upon. However, in all Japanese kenshukai I have attended, drinking after hours is no problem: everyone comes prepared--and the organizers know that the participants know they know... As the Japanese say, ?Ô?MŒá‚ÅŠF“n‚ê‚΋°‚!‚È‚¢?B

The Nippon Budokan thinks it is a repository of traditional Japanese and kenshukai are a traditional expression of such culture, so I would be very surprised if any changes were being contemplated.

Best regards,

Troll Basher
10th March 2003, 10:39
Peter,

Excellent post and a 100% accurate assessment.

Even though the Budokan claims to want feedback so they can improve the seminar every year in reality they do not.
This can be seen by the fact that little if anything has changed over the last 15 years. In fact since I started going it has gotten progressively worse and the rules progressively more childish.
This year when being asked to keep the noise level down on every occasion we were “shhhhhhhed” by one of the “trustees” of our “Budo Prison”. “shhhhhing” is something my kindergarten teacher used to do when she wantes us to be quiet.
This method of asking others to be quiet is OK for 5 year olds but hardly appropriate for people attending what was supposed to be a serious martial event which has become infamous for it’s after training beer sessions. (If they don’t want us to party in the lobby they should remove the beer from the beer machines in the lobby)
On Sunday evening I had had enough of such treatment and expressed my extreme displeasure at being “handled” in this manner much to the shock of the Japanese/American “trustee”, who in my opinion is a total dipxxxt, and was doing most of the “shhhhhing”.

My overall impression of this year’s seminar was I though it was crap.
I did make some new friends, which is my main purpose for going. However,
the Budokan instructors that instruct in my particular discipline are less than knowledgeable. This fact was driven home by the lack of interest by participants during the free training and they few yudansha that did wonder over to train briefly came away almost laughing at the Japanese instructors.

Since I have been to more than half of the seminars held over the last 15 years and seen the level of instruction and lectures progressively get worse I am not attending anymore after this.

P Goldsbury
10th March 2003, 12:52
Hello Robert,

I have seen how the feed-back mechanism operates in my own university and I am not optimistic that the Budokan is any more enlightened.

As you well know, the after-training beer sessions are part and parcel of the martial arts here and the 1991 seminar was notable for the participation of two instructors who graduated from Takudai: Hirokazu Kanazawa (karate) and Masatake Fujita (aikido). So these instructors held 'open house' in their rooms after 'lights-out' and some very interesting discussions continued well into the mornings. The Budokan / Budo Kenshu Centre staff never interfered.

I always receive information about the seminar, but it is in March and sometines clashes with entrance examinations meetings etc here. I once mentioned this difficulty to Mr Fujita, who replied (to his credit), "No problem. Once is enough." I have sometimes considered attending, despite all the odds, just to meet other E-budoka in Japan, but the trials of altering teaching schedules, travelling up from the “cŽÉ, and coping with the Budokan/Kenshu Centre staff have usually proved too much of an obstacle.

I have received summaries of the proceedings over the years and have increasing reservations about the quality of the material presented. You know, the older Budo University staff just present a residue of their knowledge, which would be fine if they tried to tailor their presentation to the needs of the audience, but I wonder how much a presentation at the seminar counts on the ‹Æ?Ñ of the younger lecturers. There is a half-hearted air about the whole thing and a general attitude that foreign budoka cannot be expected to have real knowledge about the arts they practise, especially when compared with the Japanese, who are thought to have such knowledge as part of their genetic make-up.

In my earlier post I thought to add a final question about whether the seminar serves a real function. Would you encourage young yudansha to attend the seminar, despite all the shortcomings of the centre personnel, in the hope that they will glean some good insights about Japanese budo?

Best,

PAG

Troll Basher
10th March 2003, 13:00
Originally posted by P Goldsbury

In my earlier post I thought to add a final question about whether the seminar serves a real function. Would you encourage young yudansha to attend the seminar, despite all the shortcomings of the centre personnel, in the hope that they will glean some good insights about Japanese budo?

To answer in a word "no". I think those seminars impart far less knowledge than what the Budokan thinks they do.

CKohalyk
11th March 2003, 02:17
I was there this past weekend and in the end I enjoyed myself.

Of course with the new guy we took a ten-year step backward in terms of how much control they tried to exert on us. The lack of free dojo time in the evenings (we just went in there anyway) and the "if you don't go to the morning lectures you can't attend the farewell party" was complete BS. It also sucked that there was no iaido this year.

As far as the lectures are concerned, these always suck and they are not the reason why I go there in the first place. Alex came up with the idea of having a Kansai version of the seminar at Nichibunken, with foreigners as the lecturers. That might be interesting.

Araki Ryu could've been better IMHO.

All in all I got to see the people I see only once a year, trained a bit, shot an arrow or two, made a couple of new friends, and had a good time.

Although this was the worst one I have ever been to, I still had a good time, and I will probably go next year.

I would definitely recommend new yudansha to attend the seminar, not for the lectures, but for the training time and to make good contacts.

For all of those coming down for the Kyoto Taikai, I will see you then! For the others, I will see you again next year!

Chad Kohalyk

PS. Jeff, good luck in Ottawa.

Steve Delaney
11th March 2003, 03:21
Chad,

Yeah I'll be coming next year too, if it's possible. Not all of the teachers were unknowledgeable. The Jukendo, Judo, Kyudo and Naginata teachers were top notch. (Don't know about the Karate instructor yet, I haven't tried that Budo Taiken yet.)

The staff just needs to drink lots of prune juice and relax.

If Alex comes through with a seminar at the Nichibunkan, I'll definately go. It's further than the Budai, but what the hey. Just as long as accomodation is cheap and food is cheaper, everything sounds just great.

Russ,

The instructors were cool, we even had some of the Budai students attending the party, but it's just the staff who were "a bunch of donut punching wadpackers" as you so eloquently put it. That's all that was wrong bud. everything else was quite good.

Jeff Hamacher
14th March 2003, 03:40
the social component was yet again the highlight of this year's Seminar. it was good to get in some jo time with students from groups outside my own, too, but i generally go for the "summer camp" atmosphere with some budo on the side.

contrary to Peter's experience of a few years ago, the interpreting for all the presentations was generally very good, and i think that at least one of the lectures took a stab at precious Japanese notions of budo and character development, i.e. "just 'cuz you train in judo doesn't mean yer gonna grow up any faster". for the last few Seminars, i've been less interested in the actual content than using the lectures as Japanese listening and interpreting practice. if i pick up a few golden kernels of truth along the way, great.

the new staff at the Centre and their authoritarian crackdown were obviously the source of the animosity, spurred on by one individual's drunken silliness the first night. on the other hand, i've been in exactly the same position as the non-Japanese staff were and it's no picnic. the Japanese organizers want the participants to cower at every official directive (as they expect fellow Japanese to), the participants want the organizers to go to hell, and the foreign staff get left in the middle.

most of the issues that cropped up could have been met with compromise approaches announced well in advance (e.g. block off one section of the cafeteria as they did on Sunday night for after-hours partying, with clear instructions to clean up and re-set everything before breakfast starts). barring use of the dojo for evening free training was just foolish.

i suppose the biggest drag about (probably) not going next year will be missing the chance to hang out with you great folk ... but then, if none of you go next year, what difference does it make?:D take care and i'll look forward to catching up with as many of you as i can before i make the big trip "home".

gmellis
8th May 2003, 02:32
Jeff,
I have been out of both the social and e-budo circles for well over 4 months what with pre- and post-baby obligations and such, so I am completely ignorant of developments in the local gai-san e-budo community. By "making the big trip home," is that to mean you are moving back to kick-ass Canada? Are you guys still meeting up for beers her in the Tokes? If so, I'd like to touch base before you ship out. Cheers.
Greg Ellis
Scourge to Cute Puppies and All Cute Things Everywhere

Striking Hand
8th May 2003, 02:38
Greg.

We haven't heard anything from Jeff in a long time, all attempts to contact him have failed so far.

The Tokyo E-Budo scene seems to have died completely.
Tony(Kimpatsu) doesn't seem to be psoting at the moment on E-Budo.

The others appear also to be quiet, don't know if there are any happenings going on behind the scenes though.

If your little bundle of joy has arrived, congrats on it.
I am sure you will have your hands quiet full with it. ;)

My description of a Baby:
"Tube with a megaphone on one end that only shuts up when you put food into it and no sense of responsibility on the other".

Good to see you back.

Mekugi
8th May 2003, 03:10
Possible explanations:

1) Golden Week was upon us...that means RUSH RUSH at work.

2) Work

3) Work

4-100) Work

Spring gets the business. Go figure....

-Russ

Originally posted by Striking Hand
Greg.

We haven't heard anything from Jeff in a long time, all attempts to contact him have failed so far.

The Tokyo E-Budo scene seems to have died completely.
Tony(Kimpatsu) doesn't seem to be psoting at the moment on E-Budo.

The others appear also to be quiet, don't know if there are any happenings going on behind the scenes though.

If your little bundle of joy has arrived, congrats on it.
I am sure you will have your hands quiet full with it. ;)

My description of a Baby:
"Tube with a megaphone on one end that only shuts up when you put food into it and no sense of responsibility on the other".

Good to see you back.

Daniel Lee
8th May 2003, 04:17
Guys,

:toast: Maybe June or July might be a good time for a next one? Thoughts?

Striking Hand
8th May 2003, 04:19
Daniel.

June or July is cool by me.

We can stay in touch either via E-Budo or via KFO.

Seeya.

Daniel Lee
8th May 2003, 04:41
Thanks Peter!

Russ, are you in town in June or July? Would be good to get together with all you guys. I'll also check with Greg soon too.

Best,

Mekugi
8th May 2003, 04:47
Goooood question....

I want to be in town then, However I am apperantly a slave chained to my desk. This looks like a job for dayplanner man....

let me get back to you.

-Russ

Originally posted by Daniel Lee
Thanks Peter!

Russ, are you in town in June or July? Would be good to get together with all you guys. I'll also check with Greg soon too.

Best,

George Kohler
8th May 2003, 06:04
John Lindsey and I will be in Saitama/Tokyo area on June 1. I will be there for 15 days, while John will be there for a month. Anything going on then?

Mekugi
8th May 2003, 06:53
Ok this is getting complicated.

Who has what days off? I generally have every Sunday and the 2nd and 4th monday off. If I go up on a Saturday I need to visit the Fukugawa area for training in the evening, so anything later on a Saturday is good for me. If you can come to central Tokyo the chances of a Saturday are even greater. Saitama is kind of like where I am in Nagoya....nowehere but close to somewhere (if'n you know what I mean).

Also, for you worldy travelers: GET RAIL PASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regular rail pass will save you MAJOR cash and give you chances to travel freely when not in keiko. Plus, you get up early enough can get on the Shinki and go just about anywhere and come back before you have keiko that same day. Amazing stuff that.

Originally posted by George Kohler
John Lindsey and I will be in Saitama/Tokyo area on June 1. I will be there for 15 days, while John will be there for a month. Anything going on then?

Striking Hand
8th May 2003, 07:01
Russ.

Here is my weekly schedule:

Weekdays:
pretty booked.

Saturday:
1.) 06:00 ~08:00 park training
2.) Kwoon 15:30 ~ 17:30 or thereabouts, depending on location I got a long or a short trip afterwards.

Sundays:
1.) 06:00 ~ 08:00 Park training.
2.) Possiblility of an afternoon seminar in tokorozawa exists, we get training schedule at beginning of month.

Other than that I am pretty free, unless Family gets in the way.

Travel-time from home to shinjuku/shibuya +/- 25 minutes.

Cheers.

Daniel Lee
8th May 2003, 07:31
I'm pretty much booked weekdays too. I can be in Shinjuku/Shibuya at around 8:30 or 9:00pm on Saturday, or afternoon/evening on Sunday.

With our e-budo host John Lindsey, and George in town, how would one of the following be?

Saturday 7th June

Sunday 8th June

Saturday 14th June

Striking Hand
8th May 2003, 07:35
I would prefer afternoon of 8th/June.

But Staturday evenings can also work same time as Daniel 20:30~21:00.

This gives me time to relax a bit after workout and the possible 45 min. bicycle ride from the alternate location.
:D

Cheers.

renfield_kuroda
8th May 2003, 07:40
Weekends works for me, too. I'm yet to manage to attend one of these e-budo festivities...though I think I've bumped into some of y'all at various events.

And for global travellers, I have a couple spare futons if you don't mind sharing a room with my swords and stinky dogi. Conveniently located in Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku. Walking distance to Roppongi! Short bus ride to Shibuya!

Regards,
renfield kuroda

P.S. If anyone wants to try Mugairyu Iaihyodo lemme know!

Striking Hand
8th May 2003, 07:44
Originally posted by renfield_kuroda
Conveniently located in Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku. Walking distance to Roppongi! Short bus ride to Shibuya!

Somebody got too much money I see.
;)

Only time I venture into the center of town is to either see a client or visit my Embassy in Azabu.

Seeya.

Mekugi
8th May 2003, 08:34
June 8th is a good thing for me....

-Russ

Daniel Lee
8th May 2003, 08:44
Sunday 8th June is also good for me. Maybe we can wait for our State-side punters now to give the yay or nay on our choice of dates?

Renfield I am SOO envious of your prime real estate too! :D

Mekugi
8th May 2003, 08:44
Here we are:

E-Nomikai (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/calendar.php?s=&action=getinfo&eventid=51)

gmellis
8th May 2003, 09:18
Damn! All I do is post a couple questions in the morning about Jeff and the now-defunct E-budo Tokyo chapter and look what it turns into, a good excuse for dragging big western asses onto little bar stools and clamping mouths to frosty mugs.......sweet! The 8th is good for me, assuming nothing comes up. While we may not be able to settle on a time or day quite yet until the 'Merkans chime in, maybe we can discuss venues, like say, Daniel Lee's apartment! Any candidates? Maybe the Chubbly-ners in Shinjuku or something in Roppongi?

Striking Hand
8th May 2003, 09:22
I am all for the Chubbly-ners in Shinjuku.

Greg.
I will bring the sausages.
;)

Adam Young
8th May 2003, 15:36
Man, these "discussion meetings" had better be still happening when I arrive in August. I have ben reading about these for a while, but have been prevented from inflicting myself on others due to a minor matter of geographic dislocation. Anyway, you need more Canadian representation.

If they are not, Greg, I am holding you personally responsible. And you too Daniel (for no other reason beyond that I know you). ;)

Daniel Lee
8th May 2003, 16:48
Sounds good Adam. Don't know what all this 'sausage' innuendo between Greg and Peter is about though. :p

George Kohler
8th May 2003, 20:52
I just sent John Lindsey an e-mail about this thread. He will most likely know what days we will have off from training.

Striking Hand
8th May 2003, 22:13
Daniel.

No innuendo.

I just got access to some good german sausages close by to where I live.

Place where I shop keeps winning competitions overseas.
:D :D

John Lindsey
9th May 2003, 00:48
Monday and Thursday nights are our nights off.

Daniel Lee
9th May 2003, 02:00
Thanks for clearing that one up Peter!

Since I don't think many of us could make a mon/thurs night, how would lunch on Sunday, 8th June be for everyone? With John and George heading off to training that night there mightn't be much happening in the brew department, but would be fun to all meet up. How would a Sunday, 8th June lunch be gentlemen?

Striking Hand
9th May 2003, 02:01
Daniel.

Lunch sounds fine. Normally we start at 13:00 but we could move it forward.

Daniel Lee
9th May 2003, 02:07
You are one fast cat Peter! I've got my fingers crossed the majority of us can make it - should be good. :)

Striking Hand
9th May 2003, 02:32
Daniel.

Easy to be fast with a Fiber connection for the LAN at home while you are babysitting your sickish son.

Nothing serious, he is playing alongside me.

:D ;)

Mekugi
9th May 2003, 02:33
CHUBLINERS is nice, but....

we are going to have John and George in town. I am sure they get enough of the pub scene on their end. How does it sound to go Izakaya this time? I mean, here in Japan we all have to deal with the squid and raw fish all the time and a change of pace is nice (hence the big chubby). I vote for taking John and George for a nice natto and egg salad with sardines.;)

Whatchayallthinkin?

Mekugi
9th May 2003, 02:41
I talked to Steve D. Last night, I am pretty sure he can make it (I dunno, Steve you following this thread?)

He knows the train system rather well and can possibly help with schedules from Saitama...

-Russ

Daniel Lee
9th May 2003, 02:54
You couldn't have a better day for a sickie Peter - looks like it's really clearing up outside! :)

Hi Russ,

I wouldn't mind going native either. John and George's dojo is a bus ride away from Koshigaya, so they can probably just travel down on the Tobu Isezaki-line to Kita Senju, and catch the Chiyoda Line, or go to Nishi Nippori and jump on the Yamanote-line.

That'd be great if Saitama Steve could make it too - should be a top get-together!

Striking Hand
9th May 2003, 05:18
If we go native for lunch I would recommend "Shitamachi" around monzennaka-cho or similar.

From Kita-senju they could take Hibiya-line to Kayabacho and ride 1 station on Tozai-line.
Toei Odeo line also stops there now.

Some good and cheap Food there, worked there for a few years.
Plus some nice shrines too.

Let me know what you think.

gmellis
9th May 2003, 05:28
First off, the "sausage" comment doesn't REALLY mean sausages you eat like Peter Striking-Palm suggested, well then again..... By "bring the sausages," he meant he's going to bring our gay Shinjuku 2-chome friends along to give everybody free lap dances and blow jobs, right Peter? :p
As for going native, I suppose it's a decent enough idea, but instead of an izakaya I suggest a "native" El Torito in Shinjuku or a native "Sizzler All-You-Can-Eat Buffet" in Harajuku ;) . Now that's authentic Japanese food at its best!

If we're "going native," does that mean we also have to get punch perms, don nylon bell-bottom pants, glossy brown penny loafers and Superfly shirts, then go buy race track newspapers to complete the transformation? Or are we talking more of the Shibuya call-girl direction. I'm pretty flexible and can go both ways......um..yea.

George Kohler
9th May 2003, 05:39
Sorry for being off topic.

Russ, you need to clean out your PM mailbox. BTW, go ahead and forward those e-mails to gkohler9@earthlink.net

George Kohler
9th May 2003, 05:45
Originally posted by gmellis
First off, the "sausage" comment doesn't REALLY mean sausages you eat like Peter Striking-Palm suggested, well then again..... By "bring the sausages," he meant he's going to bring our gay Shinjuku 2-chome friends along to give everybody free lap dances and blow jobs, right Peter? :p

I'm not sure if I want to hang out with you guys now :)

Striking Hand
9th May 2003, 05:57
Originally posted by gmellis
By "bring the sausages," he meant he's going to bring our gay Shinjuku 2-chome friends along to give everybody free lap dances and blow jobs, right Peter? :p

Don't know what you are talking about, all I remember are a couple of cute and willing high-school girls that partook in a round of "Russian Roulete Sex".

:D :D

Daniel Lee
9th May 2003, 06:01
Whoh Greg,

Now I won't mind most restaurants (gotta get out there to Harajuku sometime!) for this here get-together, but I won't be having anyone 'bringing my sausages', if you know what I mean. LOL!

George, is lunch an option for you guys? I'll keep an eye on Greg if he worries you. Hopefully we'll all sort out the details before this thread rolls down-hill much more. :D

gmellis
9th May 2003, 07:01
Keep an eye on me, he sais, the guy that introduced me to Shinjuku 2-chome, known in those parts as "the back breaker." THAT'S a good one. Aaaaaanyway, I still vote for Tex-Mex. If Mr. Lindsey and friends are going to come ALL the way from Merka, they should dine on something a LITTLE more exotic than mirin, shoyu, tsuyu, vinegar with some overboiled vegetables and raw meats added for flavoring. Hard workouts demand REAL food, the kind that says "Ohhhh, I think I ate too much, I gotta lay down or I'm gonna throw up."

Striking Hand
9th May 2003, 07:07
Greg.

I guess you ain't been to the area I suggested.

I can take you there to some places that still serve stomach churning food for people used to Japanese cuisine.
;)
How about grass-hoppers for your O-nigiri and similar.

Steve Delaney
9th May 2003, 16:45
Originally posted by Mekugi
I talked to Steve D. Last night, I am pretty sure he can make it (I dunno, Steve you following this thread?)

He knows the train system rather well and can possibly help with schedules from Saitama...

-Russ

Russ,

Yeah I can make it. No probs.

Tell me where in Saitama you fellas are staying and I can get the info.

Cheers

gmellis
12th May 2003, 05:51
By the way, what HAS happened to Jeff anyway? And what was the "big trip back to Canada"? Anyone know anything?

Striking Hand
12th May 2003, 05:57
Greg.

As far as I know he went back to Canada to finish his university studies, with plans od returning later on.

He was set to leave Japan some time either last or this month.
We were supposed to have had a get-together before he left, but nothing was heard from him and Tony couldn't contact him either.

I am not even sure if he is still in japan at this moment.

Cheers.

renfield_kuroda
12th May 2003, 08:52
Most definitely do NOT have too much money! I live in the ass-crack corner right by Furukawabashi in a typically small '2LDK'.
Dude at my company (a real expat, not a local like me) has a HOUSE around the corner from me that's bigger than my whole apartment building.

It certainly ain't cheap but both the wife and I can get to work quickly enough, and now thanks to Mori, we can watch movies at the all-reserved-seats-cup-holders-thx-sound Virgin Theatre up the street in Roppongi Hills!

Regards,
renfield kuroda

Somebody got too much money I see.
;)

Only time I venture into the center of town is to either see a client or visit my Embassy in Azabu.

Seeya.

Striking Hand
12th May 2003, 08:58
It certainly ain't cheap but both the wife and I can get to work quickly enough, and now thanks to Mori, we can watch movies at the all-reserved-seats-cup-holders-thx-sound Virgin Theatre up the street in Roppongi Hills!

I was just teasing you.

The area I live in is not the cheapest either, but both the Wife and I can get to work without any transfers.

Cheers.

Mekugi
13th May 2003, 02:44
Now thinking about it, and earlier hour would be better for me as well, (not exactly lunch) but I have to think of the train schedules and the Shinki to get back to my part of the island. I need to check the train schedules (and hope they don't change) to be sure what is up. Anyway, that doesn't mean you all can't keep partying if I go early (although I would not recommend it...;))

-R

Whoh Greg,

Now I won't mind most restaurants (gotta get out there to Harajuku sometime!) for this here get-together, but I won't be having anyone 'bringing my sausages', if you know what I mean. LOL!

George, is lunch an option for you guys? I'll keep an eye on Greg if he worries you. Hopefully we'll all sort out the details before this thread rolls down-hill much more. :D

renfield_kuroda
13th May 2003, 04:44
But someday, when my wife's company IPOs and we're drowning in money, I will build a HUGE house in the middle of Azabu, with a giant dojo in the backyard (and double-pained glass windows, and insulated walls, and real front doors...)

Ah, to dream my little dream...

Regards,
renfield kuroda

I was just teasing you.

The area I live in is not the cheapest either, but both the Wife and I can get to work without any transfers.

Cheers.

Mekugi
13th May 2003, 05:01
Tell me when that happens and I'll sublet your basement (that's a joke, everyone knows houses in Japan don't have basements). BTW what kind of work does your wife do???
My betrothed is a travel agent....raking in the cash there (hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

-R

But someday, when my wife's company IPOs and we're drowning in money, I will build a HUGE house in the middle of Azabu, with a giant dojo in the backyard (and double-pained glass windows, and insulated walls, and real front doors...)

Ah, to dream my little dream...

Regards,
renfield kuroda

Troll Basher
14th May 2003, 13:20
I would prefer afternoon of 8th/June.

But Staturday evenings can also work same time as Daniel 20:30~21:00.

This gives me time to relax a bit after workout and the possible 45 min. bicycle ride from the alternate location.

Cheers.

Peter,

What's up with the new name?
So is this thing set for 8-June 13:00?
Chubliner's in Shinjuku?

Greg,

I thought you had fallen off the planet.

Keep me posted on the day/time.......

Striking Hand
14th May 2003, 13:35
Originally posted by Troll Basher

What's up with the new name?

Got that one for some time already.

Goes with the new IMA style I am studying. ;)

So is this thing set for 8-June 13:00?
Chubliner's in Shinjuku?

Still waiting for final confirmation on that one.

Cheers.

renfield_kuroda
15th May 2003, 01:22
You can have the room in the basement next to the maid's quarters, behind the bowling alley.

My wife works for Tokyo's-Oldest-Startup, which by some miracle of accounting has neither made money nor gone bankrupt in like 17 years...

Regards,
renfield kuroda

Tell me when that happens and I'll sublet your basement (that's a joke, everyone knows houses in Japan don't have basements). BTW what kind of work does your wife do???
My betrothed is a travel agent....raking in the cash there (hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

Daniel Lee
15th May 2003, 02:56
Gentlemen,

Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to take a raincheck for the 8th of June due to work commitments. I hope you can all manage my share of beverages in my place. :p

Apologies for any inconvenience, but hope to meet you all soon!

Mekugi
15th May 2003, 04:12
SUUURE Daniel,
It's because you don't love me anymore, isn't it.

Are you available SAT night? I'll be hitting a bar called "The Quiet Lady" in Fukugawa,more than likely.

Would love to see ya and shoot the malarky....(even if you don't love me....)

Gentlemen,

Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to take a raincheck for the 8th of June due to work commitments. I hope you can all manage my share of beverages in my place. :p

Apologies for any inconvenience, but hope to meet you all soon!

George Kohler
15th May 2003, 04:27
(even if you don't love me....)

Is it the water?

First I heard Shinjuku 2-chome. Today, Greg offered to buy Daniel a "pokey." And now this? :)

Steve Delaney
15th May 2003, 04:41
Ahhh yes, the Quiet Lady. Now that place was great. It was quiet, it was classy, the landlady was wonderfully friendly and the collection of whiskies and liquors was great.

You going to get anymore of that Indian Gin Russ? That stuff was damn nice, not to mention the 20 year old whiskey that I was sipping on. :toast: :beer:

Daniel Lee
15th May 2003, 04:58
Russ,

The boss now has me in the office until the following Saturday (14th) :look: You coming on the 8th?

George,

It's not just the water. Look at the products that are sold to folks over here: ;)

Mekugi
15th May 2003, 10:19
I'll be down on the 7th and the 8th...I promise to leave my box of pecker at home (this time)...

Russ,

The boss now has me in the office until the following Saturday (14th) :look: You coming on the 8th?

George,

It's not just the water. Look at the products that are sold to folks over here: ;)

Mekugi
15th May 2003, 10:31
INDEED Steve, we hafta hit that place when I am in town...looking forward to it. Amazing what you find tucked away in the neighborhoods huh!! I invite all and sundry to come check it out (well there is a seating capacity of 7 I think...)

(BTW...do you have any pecker to spare??? I am leaving my box at home for the benifit of Mister Lee).

-R

Originally posted by Saitama Steve
Ahhh yes, the Quiet Lady. Now that place was great. It was quiet, it was classy, the landlady was wonderfully friendly and the collection of whiskies and liquors was great.

You going to get anymore of that Indian Gin Russ? That stuff was damn nice, not to mention the 20 year old whiskey that I was sipping on. :toast: :beer:

Mekugi
15th May 2003, 10:34
I think this answers George's questions (for real this is posted on the sides of trains headed for the "Park Espana"). Tell me I am not the only one that see's something "queer" about this picture....

Daniel Lee
15th May 2003, 14:17
You ARE seeing things Russ! That's a picture of someone getting set for a water fight, squirting water through his palms 'mizu-teppou' style. At least I think it is. LOL :p

Steve Delaney
15th May 2003, 16:36
Is that a water pistol in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

I'm buggered if I'm ever going to have a dip at that park. That's not the kind of hose you want to see used at that kind of establishment.

Steve Delaney
15th May 2003, 16:40
Russ,

I think Quiet Lady only has room for six, not seven. It was a pretty dinky little place. Quaint, but small.

BTW,

YOU CAN GET YOUR PECKER SOMEWHERE ELSE BOYO!!!

Mekugi
16th May 2003, 01:22
That's what the missus sez too. She also thinks that my mind is bent....which it is. That, however, has nothing to do with it....

-Russ

You ARE seeing things Russ! That's a picture of someone getting set for a water fight, squirting water through his palms 'mizu-teppou' style. At least I think it is. LOL :p

Mekugi
16th May 2003, 01:29
Indeed, thinking about it maybe six is a crowd since we were leaning on the back wall sitting at the bar. Either way the place is big enough for us two so that is good enough fer me.

We will totally have to hook up there dude, I want to drag Usuki S. and some of the other folk out there so maybe a full hous!

Yours in drunken, disorderly conduct...

-R

Originally posted by Saitama Steve
Russ,

I think Quiet Lady only has room for six, not seven. It was a pretty dinky little place. Quaint, but small.

BTW,

YOU CAN GET YOUR PECKER SOMEWHERE ELSE BOYO!!!