PDA

View Full Version : Jukido???

JS3
6th September 2000, 04:12
Greetings,
Does anyone have any information on this ryu.
I've read that:
"Jukido Jujitsu; is a Japanese style of Jujitsu."
( http://www.ikja.com/main.htm )
Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Neil Hawkins
7th September 2000, 03:30
Joe,

I personally have never heard of Jukido Jujitsu, from looking at the site it is certainly a new amalgamated style and is not traditional. They claim to have taken most of their techniques from Sanzyuryu Jujitsu, which they claim is traditional but I haven't heard of that either, but I'll try to look it up.

Maybe someone here has heard of Shihan Paul Arel and can fill us in on him and his style. He has a fairly impressive resume but nothing that can be substantiated easily.

The impression I get though is not very positive, it feels like the many BS systems we see, I'd be interested in knowing more.

Regards

Neil

MarkF
8th September 2000, 10:16
Early summer of 1999, I found a website in which the style was called aikijudo, but today, I cannot find it. Perhaps it joined this "honbu" in Conneticut?

Actually, aikijudo is not unheard of, as I have since asked around. A few people seemed to know what I was speaking of, but one said it sounded more like jukido.

The style I saw was put together by a shodokan (Tomiki) ryu stylist, but with a more realistic bent. I don't pretend that it was real, but the idea seemed plausible since Kenji Tomiki was a 7-dan in Kodokan Judo before learning his other craft of aikibudo.

Shiai in this aikijudo was similar to judo, but had a thirty second break every ninety seconds.

As an aside, Neil, here is something which may wet your whistle a bit. During the "Great Aiki Wars" of last year and very early this year, I was called the "aikijudo guy" since I stuck my opinion in a subjct in which, as was posted to me personally all the way over in gendai, "that I could stand on the sidelines and give my opinion as the aikijudo guy, but that I shouldn't give any opinion as I was only judoka and did not know anyhting about aikijujutsu. Maybe, but it did start one of the best all round discussions then, including sumo, pro-wrestling, puroresu, how S. Takeda beat every judoka who challenged him because "Sosaburo" Tokimune Takeda said so.

This is how these things get started, but your BS meter is working overtime:D

Mark

memnoch
3rd July 2002, 06:49
I took classes with this style for about a year in 2001. it is a solid system for people looking for a good Jujitsu program.

It is worth looking into and taking classes with this system.

Jeff Hamacher
3rd July 2002, 08:02
Originally posted by Neil Hawkins
>> I personally have never heard of Jukido Jujitsu, from looking at the site it is certainly a new amalgamated style and is not traditional. They claim to have taken most of their techniques from Sanzyuryu Jujitsu, which they claim is traditional but I haven't heard of that either ... <<

i wouldn't waste your time trying to research Sanzyuryu, Neil. their organization has been the subject of some E-Budo discussion (a thread search will turn it up quickly enough), and some of their historical claims include the foundation of the ryuha in 7th century japan. i don't think so. if the Jukido organization traces their heritage to Sanzyuryu, i wouldn't hold out much hope for verifiable claims of historical origin there, either.

the practical aspects of Jukido may be very sound, indeed, and since i don't have any experience with it i can't really comment. still, if it's true that Jukido doesn't represent traditional japanese jujutsu training, then they should probably set aside those claims and announce themselves as a modern school of martial arts.

Yamantaka
3rd July 2002, 10:36
Originally posted by MarkF
As an aside, Neil, here is something which may wet your whistle a bit. During the "Great Aiki Wars" of last year and very early this year, I was called the "aikijudo guy" since I stuck my opinion in a subjct in which, as was posted to me personally all the way over in gendai, "that I could stand on the sidelines and give my opinion as the aikijudo guy, but that I shouldn't give any opinion as I was only judoka and did not know anyhting about aikijujutsu. Maybe, but it did start one of the best all round discussions then, including sumo, pro-wrestling, puroresu, how S. Takeda beat every judoka who challenged him because "Sosaburo" Tokimune Takeda said so.
Mark

YAMANTAKA : Don't feel so bad, Mark San! the same thing has happened many times with yours truly ("You ain't an aikidoka, so you are a heretic speaking here!"). It's called an argument "ad hominem" : you don't discuss the real topic but you try to disqualify the other one.
If you are an ignorant, it will be easy to show your ignorance to everybody, taking you point by point. But No! You are unable to debate the points and so you'll disconsider the other guy.
Don't worry! It will always be thus. Those that can't discuss will always revert to personal attacks and say things like :
"You aren't ONE OF US, so KEEP OUT!" (So I won't have to prove it...
As someone else said : "Medicine is too important to be left in the hands of doctors...")
"My martial art can't be discussed with words..." ("Because you don't know how to explain it...")
"You don't understand what you are talking about..." (Prove it!)
And so on...
From one heretic to the other...;)
Best regards

MarkF
3rd July 2002, 10:57
Thank you, Ubaldo. Someone did some serious searching to find this thread (Sept. 2000)?

I actually was going to post, until I saw the date that there were other threads or posts on "jukido." This may have been the one I remembered. It did remind me of being called "the aikijudo guy" but don't worry, I'm not quite delusional yet to take it that seriously. Some good discussions came out of that "aiki war."

But again, thanks for your concern, amigo.

Mark

memnoch
3rd July 2002, 18:28
When training with the group I was with, I just nodded my hed when it came for the historical stuff and the "tradition" just like I did for the TKD school I was trained at.

I do not like the idea of turning my back on someone to execute a throw, but other than that, my BS meter was not tickeled with the techniues.

I though they were solid and workable, and the explination of the techniues wes very good.

If I did not find a Diato ryu school, I'd be training their again.

4th July 2002, 01:23
Mark & Ubaldo....

Ah..the old Aiki warts...I mean wars. I appreciated every incursion by those "soto' among us. Some of e-budo's finest moments....... You guys keep up the incursions because the adamant protestations by those "inside the walls" illuminated their own irrational and limited reasoning. Oh, but I forgot again, you couldn't possibly understand. Yuk Yuk Yuk!

Tobs

Jeff Hamacher
4th July 2002, 06:47
Originally posted by memnoch
>> If I did not find a Diato [sic] ryu school, I'd be training their again. <<

just out of curiosity, with which school of Daito-ryu are you training? and if someone hasn't already gotten after you about it, please sign your real, full name at the end of your posts.

PRehse
4th July 2002, 06:59
Originally posted by MarkF The style I saw was put together by a shodokan (Tomiki) ryu stylist, but with a more realistic bent. I don't pretend that it was real, but the idea seemed plausible since Kenji Tomiki was a 7-dan in Kodokan Judo before learning his other craft of aikibudo.

Just for historical accuracy Kenji Tomiki earned his Judo 5th Dan within a year of becoming Ueshiba M.'s student (1926). His Judo 7th Dan was awarded in the 50s and the 8th Dan in 1971.