PDA

View Full Version : New Entrance Ceremony

Robert Liljeblad
11th March 2003, 09:27
Gassho all,

I’m getting the feeling that I ask questions that nobody like to answer. But thinking I will give it a last go, before I stop ;)

In the very first pages of the Kyu-Kamoku there is stated that Nyumonshiki (new entrance ceremony) shall be conducted. I do not think this is very common in Shibu not in Sweden any way. Have anybody seen an English translation of this?

Kesshu,

Gary Dolce
11th March 2003, 20:54
Gassho Robert,

I have not seen a translation of the entrance ceremony but would be interested in seeing one. In fact, I have never seen the ceremony. Is it used anywhere outside of Japan?

Someone once told me they thought we should adopt the entrance ceremony as a useful way to emphasize a sense of commitment in beginners. Since getting a realistic commitment from beginners is usually difficult, I am interested in hearing if the entrance ceremony really serves this purpose. Does anyone have any experience with this?

As I write this, I have a vague feeling this issue may have come up here in an early thread. Am I right, or is this just another sign of approaching senility? :)

Gary

Kimpatsu
11th March 2003, 23:29
Gassho.
I have never seen an entrance ceremony outside Japan, but all branches in Japan hold them to my knowledge. The Rakuto Doin holds them every three months; the Kokubunji Doin twice a year. They're pretty cool, and I'd like to see their performance more widespread. I think the closest the BSKF comes is the annual closing ceremony, just before Christmas.
Kesshu.

Steve Williams
11th March 2003, 23:29
I didn't think it was in use outside of Japan.

I remember John McCulloch telling me he was thinking of doing something along those lines when I spoke to him in Paris (World Taikai)...... I think it was John McCulloch who said it anyway...... too much alcohol that weekend ;) Don't quote me on that (until he replies anyway :D )

Tripitaka of AA
12th March 2003, 06:50
So is it a ceremony for New Entrants, or a celebration of a New Entrance?

Is it an Initiation Ceremony for all Kenshi who have joined since the last ceremony? What happens? DOes anyone get a kicking? :D

dan_norris
12th March 2003, 07:29
Gassho

I'd be interested in knowing how a new entrance ceremony was done. I never got one any of the times I was training in Japan. Maybe cause I was just there always during the summertimes. I did get my name in katakana up on the name board (nafudakake). Everytime, before I returned to America, the dojo would meet and go out to drink together and eat okonomiyaki. Kinda like a farewell party.

Robert Liljeblad
12th March 2003, 07:43
Hi all,

My thinking was in line with Gary, that this could be used to get a commitment from beginners. From a perspective I think things like this could be used to show that SK is different from other martial arts and not just more of the same.

I did know that it was used in Rakuto Doin.

To my knowledge the difference between Shibu and Doin is:
- Doin have there own Dojo (not public). Shibu could for instance be a university club.
- Doin sho, has a Sokai Rank. This is not required for Shibu sho.
- During Chinkon Gyo, Seiku, Seigan, Shinjo, Dokun and Raihaishi is recited in Doin.
- Doin is a part of Honzan and Shibu is part of Remmei or WSKO.

Is Nyumonshiki also preformed in Shibu? Could anyone describe how it is done? Is it to be found in Kyohan?

Lots of questions
;)

Kimpatsu
12th March 2003, 12:08
Gassho.
I hope that I can supply some answers to your questions, Robert.

Originally posted by Robert Persson
To my knowledge the difference between Shibu and Doin is:
- Doin have there own Dojo (not public). Shibu could for instance be a university club.
The difference between a doin and a dojo is that a doin is registered through the religious section of Shorinji Kempo. The Kokubunji Doin, for example, is a doin, but uses a public sports centre to practice, not privately-owned facilities.

During Chinkon Gyo, Seiku, Seigan, Shinjo, Dokun and Raihaishi is recited in Doin.
They do this in some shibu as well.

Doin is a part of Honzan and Shibu is part of Remmei or WSKO.
Ultimately, everything is a part of WSKO.

Is Nyumonshiki also preformed in Shibu? Could anyone describe how it is done?
Yes, and it is performed the same way as in Rakuto Doin. There are minor differences between branches, but they are no more than the personal interpretations of individual branch masters.

Is it to be found in Kyohan?
No, or at least, I've never found that.
HTH.
Kesshu.