PDA

View Full Version : left foot forward yoko-ichi monji

renfield_kuroda
11th March 2003, 23:56
Question on mechanics:
In Mugairyu Iaihyodo we have 3 kata with yoko-ichi monji (horizontal cut, heart level) done with the LEFT foot forward.
Sa -- seated in seiza, rise up, turn 90 degrees to the left and cut stepping the left foot out to cut the opponent attacking from the left.
Sha -- seated in seiza, rise up, step left foot out and cut.
Mawari-gakari -- taking 3-5 running steps, with the right foot out "brake", pivot 90 degrees, and cut the opponent on the left while stepping the left foot out.

My yoko-ichi monji is barely acceptable stepping with the right foot out, which makes sayabiki and driving the cut with the hips much easier. Left foot forward it's slow, weak, and small.
Keeping in mind that this cut should be powerful and fast (deadly cut into the artery in the armpit and/or through the heart), what are the mechanics involved?
I've identified the fact that I don't have enough sayabiki (my poor koiguchi!), and to compensate I end up leaning forwards (not good), but twisting the left hip back and then stepping forward with the left foot feels as bad as I'm sure I look.

Any insights/advice? Does your style have similar movements?

Regards,
renfield kuroda

Kennesten
12th March 2003, 08:18
There is a similar movement in Toyama Ryu battojutsu, and also very difficult -- drawing nukiage with the left foot forward. I'm also working on this =) : so far, the ways of generating power seem to be 1) changing the timing of the draw from normal, starting earlier with the right foot, or 2) to overrotate the hips or allow the right step to rotate the hips naturally before the left step (as in the standing kata you mentioned). I think the second method may help with the standing kata more than the seiza -- I'll be interested to hear what more experienced people say.

Good luck!

Nicholas Lauridsen

Charles Mahan
12th March 2003, 15:32
Saya biki. Lots of it. Doesn't hurt to allow the left hip to turn just a little to gain that extra half inch or so. But when all is said and done. Crank that left hand around.

You should see my koiguchi :D Took me forever to really get a hold on saya-biki. Much better now, but man the damage I did early on :D

pgsmith
12th March 2003, 17:55
Hi Ren,
Sayabiki while moving on the left foot is something that I have been working on lately. One of the things I have discovered is that the timing is crucial. While our techniques are done from standing, I imagine the same thing would apply. If sayabiki occurs as the left foot is beginning it's forward movement, proper sayabiki will be easier to attain and the cut will have added power from the completion of the forward step. My opinion only based on trying to picture what you are doing in my head, so take it for what it's worth. Hope it helps though!

Cheers,

hyaku
12th March 2003, 23:55
My sixth fundamental form is a draw with the left foot forward. This can be done rising from tatehiza or standing and stepping.

Drawing a 3.8. I never thought it was possible at first. But like with anything else, practice, practice, practice. One major difference is of course I draw to cut kiri age. Another one is the narrow positioning of the feet that makes any draw difficult.. my stances are wide and long

Kiritsuke if needed is done by stepping onto the right foot.

The Ryu has taught me lots of unorthodox drawing methods. Hardest yet has been sitting on a chair the wrong way round to simulate drawing on horseback techniques.

A word of warning is I dont advise anyone to actualy practice these things with a shinken. I only use shinken but swop to a longer four shaku Saya-tsuki-bokken until its safe to do otherwise. Not just the problem a damaging your self but damage to the saya until you can do these things naturaly.

Yoko monji I do using either feet by doing suburi around the dojo more than a few times to warm up.

Hyakutake Colin

Kageryu

renfield_kuroda
13th March 2003, 00:37
Thanks all for the replies. Spent all practice last night doing nothing but yoko ichi-monji left foot forward, with Ando-sensei schooling me at regular intervals. Like everyone says it's all about:
* sayabiki. I stood in front of a wall with my tsukagashira almost touching the wall, stepping BACK with my left foot and practiced drawing with lefthand sayabiki, keeping the right hand in place (until I drew a bit too much and took a nice chunk out of the wall!)
* hips forward. Tried to keep from leaning forward and drawing (pulling) with the right hand; sayabiki, rotating the left hip back, then as soon as the kissaki clears the koiguchi, moving the left hip and foot forward and letting that move the right arm forward, keeping the hips under the upperbody

That being said, I still can't DO it with any proficiency!

Thanks again all.
Regards,
renfield kuroda

Charles Mahan
13th March 2003, 19:05
Originally posted by renfield_kuroda

That being said, I still can't DO it with any proficiency!

It's nothing a few thousand iterations won't fix :)