PDA

View Full Version : Training - Start and Duration

Howard2k
13th March 2003, 03:56
How old where you when you started your Karate and how long have you been training?

(27, 1 year)

Kimura
13th March 2003, 04:27
Started Judo at eight years old, gave it up for karate(my judo teacher was psssst) at 13 years old.

My judo teacher told me I will be back once I stop trying to swatt mosquitos with my Hands(whatever that meant)I don't know but I did return.

I am going on 41 years of age.

Hector Gomez

j-lane
13th March 2003, 17:58
Took judo for about a year when I was 10.

No MA for a long time, then I caught the karate bug about 1 1/2 years ago at age 36. I'm practicing Shotokan, just passed 6th kyu exam. I'll be 38 years old next month. Never too old!

TommyK
13th March 2003, 20:28
Greetings,

Started studying Korean Karate (Ji Do Kwan) and Self Defense at 35, still at it at 52, and counting.

Regards,
TommyK

gmanry
14th March 2003, 13:52
I started in a hardschool of WTF TKD when I was 12 or 13 and did that for almost 15 years, but I then studied Kyokushin (mainline) with a Japanese friend in College (1990-1992) and transitioned to a Kyokushin offshoot in graduate school in 1993. I still practice some of the concepts and kata from that training.

Much of my training in Karate overlapped with training in Judo, as we had a master Sambo player and an French/Israeli Olympic level Judoka in our dojo. Unfortunately they were much under-utilized due to ego and jealousy at the instructor level, and I was too busy with my studies to be able to learn from them as much as I would have liked on the side. I could kick myself today for that.

I have been studying Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu now for almost 3.5 years and have opened a Shibu in Sheridan, WY. My instructor is back in Durham, NC. :( I try to see him once or twice a year and have weekly contact via IM and e-mail.

I am 33 years of age.

Sochin
14th March 2003, 15:53
Hmmm,
in 1972, I was 25 and paid for my first karate training. Before that it was just messing around in militia, college wrestling, etc.

I was out for a short time then back in a Shorin-ji Ryu club ever since.

I double and triple trained for ten years (arnis and bagua zhang) thru the nineties so if you count all my training years consecutive instead of concurrent it comes out to a little bit.

No wonder I limp!

Roy Davis
14th March 2003, 18:32
Started at my Wado dojo five years ago at the ripe old age of 33.

Roy Davis

Budoka 34
14th March 2003, 22:44
This time around, Karate 3 1/2years, Jiujutsu around 2yrs, Judo 3mths and some other mixed arts when I can.
Started back shortly after my marriage at 32. My wife is pretty tough!;)

:smilejapa

Richmond McClue
16th March 2003, 01:44
I started karate at age 18, in 1973. I have been at it for 30 years.:eek:

Goju Man
17th March 2003, 00:43
Started training karate about age nine, took a few years off while in the military, exept for a little tae kwon do, training ever since. Now at forty and still training.;)

dlm303
19th March 2003, 19:04
I started at Seido in NYC in February 2003 at age 33.

stencil
19th March 2003, 19:21
1.5 years at Shorei-Kan Goju Ryu of NYC (http://www.shoreikan-nyc.com). Loving every painful minute of it. :)

shotofan
29th March 2003, 22:25
I was 16 when I started training in Shotokan. Stopped when I was 18..
But got back in to at 21. Now I'm 7th kyu.. I'm 26 will be 27 in april...:p

Markaso
31st March 2003, 08:00
Started TKD when I was 23 and did that for about a year and a half then nothing for about 2 years. Then I moved to Japan and have been doing Go Jyu Ryu since. Going on 14 or so years

Markaso
31st March 2003, 15:58
Originally posted by Akshel
That sounds marvelous, impeccable dedication, any advice for the new generation? :D

Nothing earth shattering ......... Find something that will challenge you both physically as well as mentally and stick with it. Oh some where in all of that ..... you need to find a good teacher. I have been blessed to be able to find two. One was introduced to me when I started and the other I sort of found when I moved to my new digs ...... oops i almost forgot that I do have to give my TDK teacher some space too ........ he was good too. Guess I've been real lucky!:)

Markaso
31st March 2003, 23:50
True but go ask around and see what other people have to say and also see different styles ...... more than once. What I do when I travel is I call up a Dojo and ask for the local associations number and see what they have to offer. Some times it is hard to fing Go jyu Ryu but I do still like to go and watch other styles just to see them in action as well as the teacher. I would advise to see the head teacher teaching and also the person who might be teaching ( maybe the next higher rank) especially in the class you would be in.

Good luck! :)