PDA

View Full Version : Modern Arnis. How good is it for CQC?

stanley neptune
14th March 2003, 15:51
Has anyone ever done Modern Arnis? There are some pretty renowned instructors in the New England area. I was wondering how good it is as a system of self defense. The Filipino and Southeast Asian arts are catching on in New England and Modern Arnis seems to have the advantage of an early foothold on this area.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Stanley Neptune

Jock Armstrong
24th March 2003, 08:49
I`ve never studied Modern Arnis as such- the system I learned was Doce Pares. CQC- very good if you use a straight baton [cop or security]. Lots of good sriking and locking tech using the stick. Good unarmed responses to stick and knife attack.

Worth the doing.

Sochin
24th March 2003, 15:14
Ahhh, the debate between the art and the fight continues...

As a karate student, I studied FMA to develope a defense that I could consider realistic. As a practiced beginner, I went against a seasoned professional player and won two out of three knife passes by using his training against him.

Sure, the FMA can give you good weapons control but the 'attitude' may not be the cqc attitude that stops the guy now!

It also failed in its focus on sparring, a failing of modern karate training too...the use of sparring, which is not fighting, as the next best thing, whereas I saw sparring leading to bad fighting habits.

After you get enough weapon control to feel secure, strip down the art to what makes sense, x and thrust repeatedly or whatever.

Oh, how did I beat the guy? FMA teaches cut your way in so I 'let' him have my empty hand and while he was whitltling it, I planted my trainer over his heart.

pugilist
24th March 2003, 20:42
Um, I'm certainly no expert, but I know there are many different styles of FMA, so I dont think it would be correct to say _all_ FMA do this or that.

pugilist
24th March 2003, 20:45
Originally posted by Sochin

Sure, the FMA can give you good weapons control but the 'attitude' may not be the cqc attitude that stops the guy now!

Can you elaborate a bit on this one? What is missing in "attitude"?

Sochin
24th March 2003, 22:09
Cool, I tend to generalize sometime, I admit. Correct me anytime!

Attitude:

sparring attitude is give and take, look for openings and try to take advantage, defend your gates and give your shot.

cqc attitude is immediate overwhelming attack before the sticks touch, very barbarian, no rules. Act this way at even a Dog Brother's gathering and you will be disassociated for life!

Now, my impression of modern arnis and its sparring attitude is due to the arnis I've practiced and witnessed, only. But I feel the same way about all the martial arts I practice. If I had six weeks before my son went to jail, I'd give him six weeks of cqc, not arnis or karate or...

Kaith Rustaz
25th March 2003, 01:15
I'm not fully qualified to answer this..having only been studing Arnis for just under 2 years..however,

I think the 'boxing' comparison may fit. A give and take, probe, look for the week spot, close in and wham! approach. Having not done any CQC stuff myself, its hard to compare.

A couple resources:
http://martialtalk.com has an active Modern Arnis forum with several current and former military members posting.

http://wmarnis.com World Modern Arnis Alliance - Tim Hartman has done some work with military (I think, please don't hold me on it if Im mistaken), and does have a large network of schools worldwide. I believe there are several current and ex-military as well as several LEOs involved in the organization.

http://kellyworden.com Kelly Worden - Does training at a military base in the NW US near Tacoma Washington. Several of his immediate students are also current or ex-military AFAIK. They also have a small but active forum.

Peace.

tmanifold
25th March 2003, 03:05
Kali and arnis are good arts from which to draw tools from. CQC is just that Close Quarters Combat. It does not mean any specific art. Modern arnis is an ART. CQC is more of a practical, simple and no nonsense way to fight in Close quarters. It has (or should not have ayway) no of the cultural baggage or artistic flavor of an art. Now it is also missing the benefits of culture or art but there you go.

tmanifold
28th March 2003, 21:42
Sambo wasn't "the art taught to the Russian Spetznaz". It was however practiced within the Russian army and many Spetznaz trained in it. One person who did teach the Spetnaz was Vlad Vasilev whom Arthur has studied under he can give more info on that.

Sambo is quite good for CQC just as "dirty judo" is. Judo was the root of the FAS method and Comabat Sambo was used quite well by the russians. I do not like the emphasis on going to the ground but there are some excellent ankle and knee breaks in the system.

ZanShin2003
30th June 2003, 08:31
Hi,

Just wanting to mention something on the CQC of Modern Arnis. Strangely, the CQC will depend on who you go to for instruction in Modern Arnis. It seems that every major force within the system goes about things differently on teaching. Some will focus more on sparring, stick, etc, while others will focus on more tactical applications.

However, one of the best trainers in CQC in modern arnis that I had the privaledge to train under was Datu Kelly Worden. He can take the application of the stick and transfer it to empty hand very effectively in Close quater (also while including elements of JKD, Sambo, Wing Chun)

Anyways, thats my 2 cents on it. Modern Arnis has seemed to go in many different directions, that not all training methods will be the same. Just my experience.

Colin Tranborg