PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

Dave Lowry
16th March 2003, 21:38
News from Japan, indeed! You correspondents from the Land of the Squid Pizza are falling down in keeping us informed of breaking news from those shores that will cause much rending of garments and general lamentation among the beer-swilling populace both foreign and domestic.

Announced yesterday that Kirin and Asahi breweries are increasing the prices on happoshu, roughly the Japanese equivalent of Olde English Malt Liquor, to account for rising taxes on this beverage. The price of a 350 ml can is going up 10 yen; the 500 ml of this mother’s milk takes a bounce of 16 yen.

Yet another sad commentary on the decline of Japanese civilisation.

Cordially,

P Goldsbury
17th March 2003, 00:34
Originally posted by Dave Lowry
Announced yesterday that Kirin and Asahi breweries are increasing the prices on happoshu, roughly the Japanese equivalent of Olde English Malt Liquor, to account for rising taxes on this beverage. The price of a 350 ml can is going up 10 yen; the 500 ml of this mother’s milk takes a bounce of 16 yen.

Yet another sad commentary on the decline of Japanese civilisation.

Cordially,

Hello Dave,

I can think of other, less flattering, descriptions of the stuff.

Whenever I look at new brands of happoshu in my local sakaya, Murakami-san always steers me away, with the remark that it is "anmari oishiku nai" and she sells the stuff. Actually, it is a good sales technique, because I always end up buying Asahi 'Fujii-san', which is much better--and more expensive.

Best regards,

Jeff Hamacher
17th March 2003, 07:10
... just avoid that "carbonated booze" crap and splash out for real beer. reminds of that line from Pulp Fiction where Tarantino, in his cameo role, talks about actually wanting to taste what's in his cup. on the other hand, i can't even begin to conscience the official decision behind raising taxes on happoushu while keeping taxes on cigarettes exactly where they are. thank you, Japan Tobacco, and your lovely government-sponsored franchise on the death industry!

Exorcist_Fist
17th March 2003, 07:36
Go for the wines. I got a lovely german white for 2000 yen the other day.

P Goldsbury
17th March 2003, 11:19
Originally posted by Silent Dan

Agreed, but it hurts to have to pay so much for the really good stuff.

Best,

PAG.

Chuck.Gordon
17th March 2003, 18:38
Originally posted by Silent Dan

Heya,

If we buy EXPENSIVE German wine, we pay about 7-9 Euro (8-10 USD), and on the average, we pay about 2 Euro per bottle of really good German wine.

But ... we're IN Germany. Of course, I can also buy really good Chianti or French reds for anywhere from 2-5 Euro, too.

Bought some nice dry Reisling sekt the other week. Paid 1.99 USD.

Amazing. And don't get me started on how cheap and good the BEER is.

Chuck

Exorcist_Fist
17th March 2003, 21:23
yeah, I lived in Trier, along the mosel. I got hooked on Riesling. You could find an awesome wine there for under 1USD. Sux. Here and in the States they don't even separate them as Trocken and Suess.

Troll Basher
18th March 2003, 09:33
Once you have had REAL beer (i.e. German or English/Irish) Japanese beer taste like crap.......and happoshu is among the worst Japanese beer.

The only people that drink wine are "girly-men";) or "Frogs"...........actually I guess those are the same thing.....;)