PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Posing A Jodan No Kamae

OYAMA
18th March 2003, 22:03
Another photo from the past...

José Furtado:nw:

Kikbaq
28th October 2005, 05:56
Thats a great pic, I wonder what budo ryu he represents.

kabutoki
28th October 2005, 23:25
Hmm...maybe Shashin toru ryű.

Karsten

Earl Hartman
11th May 2006, 00:40
Snerk.

How about "Kabuki Kenjutsu Ryu"?

kabutoki
11th May 2006, 01:34
Hi Earl,
thanks to you I just learned a new word. I knew snitch and fink but snerk is also very nice. Sounds like somebody having a cold...
Why did it take you months to post this? :)

Karsten

M. Mauricius
14th June 2006, 15:03
Snerk.

Hi Earl.

The one who may say the name of the Ryu just wiewing its Jodan kamae is a very able sword's pratician. Is it possible to do it or you all are just trying, not seriously?

I only may see it's - probably - a form of counter-attack Jodan, for the weight moved back, and for the extremly lateral position that seems to avoid an enemy's cut.

A position that you must assume after (and only!) an enemy's attack has putted you in serious difficulty.

In facts, seems to be a Jodan kamae unreal, exagerated.

Attacking from that uncalibrated position it will left not more than the five-per-cent of probability to perform the winning Kiryotoshi on wich the katana has been rised up for.

But if I see uncorrect... tell me, please, I'm here to learn.

M

M. Mauricius
14th June 2006, 15:06
Snerk.

Sorry, tryin' to correct my english language I've finished to post twice.

M

Earl Hartman
21st June 2006, 18:54
Mirko:

I was just being funny (or trying to be). All I meant was that this is obviously a posed picture meant ot create an artistic impression. It would be a mistake to try to read any actual martial application into it, I think. Karsten is right. He's just posing for the picture.

Karsten:

The word "snerk" just means to chuckle or laugh, especially in agreeement with a joke made at someone's expense. I don't think it's a proper English word, though.

It took me months to post because I've ignored e-budo for about a year. I only started posting again because it came to my attention that someone had posted to the "Myth of Zen in the Art of Archery" thread, which I thought was dead, and I felt a need to respond. So I looked around a little.

Neil Yamamoto
21st June 2006, 20:45
While as an old timer here on e-budo, I'm glad to see Earl back posting and reading, even if it's only a drive by posting.

Earl, FYI, buy a bottle of Lismore Scotch. It's not completely clear where it's from, but it's a very good budget scotch. Best with a splash of water or maybe a few flakes of ice.

Earl Hartman
21st June 2006, 23:13
Neil:

I've had Lismore. It's not too bad.

I went to a bar mitzvah the other day put on by some pretty well-to-do people. Let us just say that the guy knew his single malts.

And I am now officially a convert to the cask strength stuff. Amazingly good.

But downright dangerous. Who knew something that strong could go down so smoothly? Fortunatley, I'm pretty broke, so there's little danger I wil be able to indulge.

Looked at your booze quiz. I guess I really don't know my stuff. I was pretty stumped by most of it.

Also, is it my imagination, or has the single-malt market gone completely crazy? A bottle of Oban used to be affordable; it's above $60 now. What the hell happened?

M. Mauricius
24th June 2006, 18:02
QUOTE = Earl Hartman

... He's just posing for the picture.

Earl:

I'm not quite shure of that. Not quite.

Lots of swords' practicians they usually think it's necessary to perform suggesting kamae, assuming in that way erroneous positions.

...I did it for a long time!

However, even if it sounds good to riceve an answer from a "more-than-1.000-post" practician who is writing in Palo Alto (a mythic place that I've knew just reading about the Crosby and McGuinn's age) ...I didn't want to wake up you just for answer to my opinions; thank you.

M

Earl Hartman
26th June 2006, 22:18
It is, of course, quite conceivable that it is a kamae from a legitimate school. I just doubt it, that's all, judging from the feeling of the photo. To me it looks like a pose. But there are a lot of sword schools out there, and I am not an expert.

I have seen a similar sort of picture on a souvenir post card for foreign tourists, taken sometime in the Meiji period. It shows a man shooting a bow. Unfortunately, anyone who knows even the slightest bit about kyudo can tell the whole thing is a complete fake; the photographer obviously just grabbed someone off the street, gave him a bow and arrows and said "Here, pose like you're an archery master." The guy clearly has no clue whatosever. This kind of looks like that to me.

But, hey, it's just my opinion, after all. Your signature says that you practice Ono-ha Itto Ryu, so my guess is that you might know more about this than I. FWIW, it doesn't look like any jodan-no kamae that I have ever seen.

M. Mauricius
3rd July 2006, 15:07
QUOTE = Earl Hartman

... But, hey, it's just my opinion, after all. ...

Hi, Earl.

Your opinion is, exactly, what I've tried to well understand, beeing the opinion of someone that is more expert than me.

My narrow period of sword's practice, in facts, only has teached me who is the real enemy I've to fight with: my erroneous convinctions. Shure, you don't know how hard it is.

About the photo's experience you've told of... it talks enough.

Thank you.

M

P.S. There has been, also, a great R'n'B tune singin' "You don't know how hard it is"! By the Tamla's Vast majority. ...Whow!