PDA

View Full Version : Hokushin Shinô-ryu

Mokushin
7th September 2000, 06:25
OK, some of you might have seen this coming.

Does anyone have any information on Hokushin Shinô-ryu Iaido? It's supposedly a popular ryu in Japan and connected to the "Zenkoku Iaido Renmei" (ZNIR??) but no one seems to have heard of them. It just strikes me as odd that none of the koryu folks here have ever heard of the ryu.

The school was founded by Shinoda Oh'ho Masatsune in 1924. Shinoda is said to have been a menkyo kaiden in both Hokushin Itto-ryu and "Shinto-ryu" (founded by a certain Hibino Fu). Add to the mix the fact that this school seems heavily influenced by Hayashizaki teachings. This seems rather perplexing to me, given the schools roots. Has anyone out there ever heard of this school, it's founder, Hibino Fu or know anything about Kimura Hekiho Masakazu, the current headmaster?

Thanks,

Ian

Tim Atkinson
10th September 2000, 04:00
This was the first sword ryu that I studied. I know there was a school in Christchurch New Zealand, as that is where I first started. There is was a school in Perth Western Australia when I lived there (though I did not train with them, I had found a kenjutsu ryu) and I know that the Australian hombu (?) in in Adeliade South Australia. Here is a is a link that may help.

http://www.txc.net.au/~hokushin/

Hope this will help you find further information.

Joanne Miller
13th September 2000, 14:40
Actually I have never heard of Hokushin Shinou Ryu Iai before but last year August in Japan (on a Sunday if I remembered correctly) there was a Budo Embu (Demostration) at Aisu no Sato and there was a Hokushin Shinou Ryu contingent (~10 people ?) from Ise.

They preformed alongside Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, Bizen? Shinkage Ryu , Yagyu Shinkage Ryu , Hoki Ryu , Shingyoto Ryu , Owari Kan Ryu & something Aisu Kageno Ryu and others.

I can't remember much but I think I saw them preforming one of their waza where they rolled their sword over & behind the opposite shoulder before finishing it off with a cut. I could have mixed up with some other styles I saw , I am not sure.

Anyway it was the first time I actually heard about this style of Iai. Beyond that I only learn more about this group from the Hokushin Shinou Ryu site as mentioned

Cheers,