PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Learning

Kielos Shenvina
1st April 2003, 03:41
I was wondering a few things actually. I don't think you are located anywhere near me as I am in Chicago, Illinois (USA). I am not sure of your location (UK?). Anyways, I was wondering what types of fighting styles your Dojo teaches. I personally have been searching for ways to learn the forgotten or ancient styles that are not very common. I also am looking for a master or trainer to teach me how to use the Samurai Katana to quite an expert level. I was just wondering if whom ever I am speaking to or someone at the Dojo could help me with this or give me advice on where I could get help. It would be apreciated. Also I am looking for a blacksmith who could create me a sword that is sharp yet strong. One that I can feel one with. Thank You.

-Brian Grayson
(Kielos Shenvina)

This is a message I sent to someone (Scott) at the Masamune Dojo located in Birmingham, UK. I was told to come here by him and ask these questions. If anyone can help me with this it would be apreciated. Thank You.

Mitch Saret
1st April 2003, 06:11
Brian,

I am not in Chicago anymore, grew up on the north side, and I don't know of any swordsmiths or Iaido dojo there. I have seen the quality of Bugei blades and it is quite excellent. They can make a katana to your specs for anywhere from 5 to 7 thousand dollars. Their ads are in several magazines and I know they have a website, so chek them out.

If you don't mind travelling 2 hours for a class I know of a dojo in Champaign/Urban that does good Iaido. It's called Budo Renmei and they also have a website.

Kielos Shenvina
3rd April 2003, 02:41
Mitch,

Could you share these websites with me that would be apreciated. Also I am located (to be exact) in the Schaumburg area. The suburbs of chicago, because I too grew up in the north side for my very young child life, but then relocated to Schaumburg. It still is probably quite far though. These katanas you speak of, are they of good quality? I tend to have rough battles when I use my katana and I need one that can take the hits without breaking on anothers blade (I always expect some dents, but should I)? Also would you say that Iaido sounds like it is the best for me? I am not that familiar with it (as I still am learning much in this new world I have found). Thank you.
-Brian Grayson

Also if anyone else has tips for me, location information, or more sword information please let me know. Thank you.

Mitch Saret
3rd April 2003, 21:37
Brian,

My wife just shipped 11 cartons of costumes to Schaumberg HS, go see the show if you can! I am a north sider myself, Bryn Mawr and Kimball area.

I am looking up the website addys as I type, so it will be a minute. The dojo in Champaign seems to have an outdated link to their website, but here is the head guys e-mail DGrady3919@aol.com

As for the sword guys....www.bugei.com their full name is Bugei Trading Company.

The quality is excellent, although I don't know how much you would want to beat up a 7 grand sword. But they are used for test cutiing and all that. When they make the swords they use traditional techniques with one major exception....modern technology is used in the manufacture of the steel and construction of the blade. Metalugically speaking Bugei baldes are far superior to the ones you can get from Japan, but only because the Japanese swordsmiths are limited to ancient methodology.

Kielos Shenvina
3rd April 2003, 23:48
Mitch,

To Schaumburg HS huh? I am assuming by HS you mean High School but correct me if I am wrong. I would love to go see the show, please let me know when it is and the subject it is on. I was looking at the bugei swords also. They have a very impressive website and the items I looked at that weren't custom looked quite nice. The quality is, of course, what I am looking for. From what you tell me and I see it is very good. I am willing to make the drive out to Champaign for the dojo. I will e-mail the head later on tonight when I have more time. Is that the dojo that you attend or do you attend a different one? I am just curious. Also, what styles do you use? And do you have any tips I could possibly gain from your knowledge? I always love to learn as much as I can along the way. Thanks for all the information that you have provided so far. You have been very friendly and very helpful. I am very grateful. Thanks again.
-Brian Grayson

Mitch Saret
4th April 2003, 21:07
Brian,
The show is Les Miserables for next week at the high school.

I have not attended that paticular dojo in Champaign, but know one of the instructors who has been helping me, sporadically, with Iaido.

I teach Okinawan Kempo, but have just gone under a new instructor, so we will be calling ourselves Shoto-Jitsu. My highest is 4th Dan and I have a student that is close to getting her third dan. That would be the highest I could legitamatly take her unless I earned more rank. If she is going to be with me that long I want to be able to promote her accordingly, and I refuse to promote myself, though I have often been told no one would question me. I have been doing this for 28 years now in a variety of arts. I also do Okinawan Kobudo, and my first art was judo.

If you ever feel like driving 3 hours come and visit. But I can tell you, from experience, that once you get on I 90 heading to I 294, by the Ikea stor and all that, it is a two hour drive to Champaign.