StanLee
8th April 2003, 13:27
Have a look at the products at this site

http://198.63.2.33/?CATID=7

I'm not sure if they are for real?:D

Stan

Meik Skoss
8th April 2003, 13:46
Veeeerrrrry dubersome. I think something is definitely fishy in the state of Denmark, or wherever. The Japanese for the "shinken" set reads Kendo Kata-yo, which implies a cset of mogito with nice mountings, but certainly not live blades. I could be wrong, but it's not something I'd want to spend *my* money buying. Of course, if it was *your* money...

Steven Malanosk
8th April 2003, 14:25
Hmmmmmmmmmm. My connection for similar types of inexpensive shinken, is literally 1/4 of the advertised price of these. The supposed list price that they claim to have marked down from is a bit far fetched, but otherwise they claim nothing more than a decent display peice.

fifthchamber
8th April 2003, 15:01
Hi all..
Mr Malanoski beat me to it but I would have mentioned that the site seems to make no claims for the quality of its blades in Tameshigiri practise...They do however mention the Shinken as being a "Premium display piece"...The pictures seem to show a blade with an acid-etched Hamon...To me anyway...So that may be dubious...But at those prices it should reassure the buyer that all they are getting is a 'Wall-hanger' blade...Nothing more.
On the other hand...The Ninja blade IS real and is also the only blade you should think of running around in forests with....So THATS also a safe buy!:rolleyes:
Not too bad a site I guess..Slightly misleading. But if you want to buy a hanger they go for a lot cheaper near me...(They're "hand-forged" too...:eek: ....).
Stick to Tozando...
Regards

fifthchamber
8th April 2003, 15:02
Repost....(Deleted).

Daniel san
8th April 2003, 15:06
Mr. Lee,
"If it sounds too good to be true...you should do it and tell the rest of us how it went."

It looks like a bunch of fantasy crap with a few notable gimmicks and fairly good prices. A "real" shinken for $169?

Good luck :D

StanLee
8th April 2003, 15:19
Daniel san, I could do the cheeky thing and recommend it to someone else:D and ask them how it was!:D

But I don't think I'd be tempted by them personally.

Stan

A. Bakken
8th April 2003, 18:12
The "Handmade Shinken Katana" crops up on eBay from time to time. By the looks of it, it's nothing more than cheap stainless steel crap. The "clashing swords"-image is taken from a Japanese iaito catalogue. If calling this poc "Handmade Shinken Katana" isn't misleading advertising, I wonder what is...

MKL
8th April 2003, 20:47
well, the picture is a scan of a page from an old Tozando catalogue advertising kendo-no-kata swords...

so they are no "stainless steel crap", but functional practise swords. Faraway from handmade shinkens though... :p

Charles Mahan
8th April 2003, 20:54
Ever wonder what a 29.95 katana looks like? :laugh:
http://198.63.2.33/index.php?ITEMID=SW-200

A. Bakken
8th April 2003, 20:58
I must have expressed myself fuzzily. The "Shinken Katana" (the subject of this thread) are quite likely stainless steel "decorative" items. The eBay auctions (and the ad linked at the top of this thread) use the picture from the Tozando catalogue, which advertises kendo-no-kata swords. I was referring to the aforementioned "decorative" sword (bluntly put, crap), and included the picture to document the picture "borrowing" (bluntly put, stealing). :karatekid

Originally posted by MKL
well, the picture is a scan of a page from an old Tozando catalogue advertising kendo-no-kata swords...

so they are no "stainless steel crap", but functional practise swords. Faraway from handmade shinkens though... :p

cincysamurai
10th April 2003, 18:22
A friend of mine bought this poc awhile back and it is junk. That blade is cheap, the tsuka is plastis and the fittings are aluminum. I f you have no eye for swords I guess it makes an ok wall mount but not really, the saya is abviously spray-painted.