PDA

View Full Version : definition, just a few questions

redgriffin
9th April 2003, 11:49
just a few questions, i've been asked to research by my sensai

Q 1
What is a sensei and what are all of his responsibilities?

Q 2
What are the responsibilities of a student?

Q 3
What is giri? (not just a translation)

any input to theese questions would be very helpful

Andy Watson
9th April 2003, 14:03
First things first, please sign with your full name. It can be done automatically in the profile set-up.

I don't want to answer the questions for you so I will give you a few pointers. I am sure your teacher would the answers to come from within you rather than what someone has written.

1. A sensei literally means "one who has gone before" therefore meaning someone more experienced than you which indicates the same role as teacher, coach, guide and counsellor in the art. What would you expect from someone who fulfilled the above roles?

2. If you were teaching someone out of your own kindness and generosity, what would YOU expect from your students.

3. Giri means duty or obligation. I think you can construe the relevance here if you answer the above two questions. Hint: giri goes both up and down.

Hope that helps.

Mike Williams
9th April 2003, 15:14
Uuuh, why would you be asked to research these questions in the first place?

Cheers,

Mike

redgriffin
9th April 2003, 20:52
ok thanks for replying.
my name is all fixed.

please feel free to answer the questions in full, including your own intruptions and understandings. my sensai asked me to use any and all resource's i can get, including online forums.

why? ummmm...i'll have to ask him. in the e-mail he send me asking me to do this it also said to not discuss this at all untill i had completed my findings.

so please post more. i have much to learn.

joe yang
10th April 2003, 02:55
Sounds like a small research assignment, as a teaching tool. Some instructors use this very well. Good luck Ben.

Benjamin Peters
11th April 2003, 07:28
Q 1
Sensei is translated in two parts (as) 1. ahead/before and 2. birth: born ahead. It refers to a life model of one person who is master of a student. The student strives to live a certain warrior's path under such a life model. His responsibilities include instruction through technique (if martial art related) and instruction through action and life lessons. His role is to ensure the social and martial maturity of the under-study.

Q 2
The student's responsibilities range, but include sincere learning through dedicated action. Introspection is also imperitive to find the lessons in everyday life. Serving and enduring are therefore two keys to this learning. Outwardly, the student must manifest committment to the tasks put before him and manifest sincere and a humble attitude.

Q 3
Can mean many things depending on what the character(s) are. It is a concept (or action). But perhaps the definition you seek is integrity/committment/sincerity in one's duty . From that 'translation' you can glean what you need.

Originally posted by redgriffin
just a few questions, i've been asked to research by my sensai

Q 1

Q 2

Q 3

any input to theese questions would be very helpful

redgriffin
12th April 2003, 13:42
thanks for the replys.
another question...

what are a Kaiso's (head sensai, master of the style) responsibilities?

What are the duties and obligations to his/her students and fellow teachers?