PDA

View Full Version : Mugai Ryu Iaido Waza

ghp
8th September 2000, 06:59
I originally posted this message on Sword Forum International's "Japanese Sword Arts" page. Then I thought, "D'oh!" So, here it is again. Sorry if you are reading it a second time.

Cautionary note. I studied Mugai Ryu for only a couple of years from 1970. I learned the first 5 waza, but never learned the meanings of the names; nor, do I think my American teacher knew the meanings. I am not an expert in Mugai Ryu – I barely remember the first five waza. The majority of my observations below are speculative at best and are probably incorrect; however, a couple of “educated” guesses might hit close to home (e.g., Suigetsu and Ryo Sha).

I put this loose “translation” foreward in hopes that it might help others who are studying Mugai Ryu. If any reader knows the proper meanings to what I have written, PLEASE contact me so that I can make corrections. As it stands now, please consider this a work in progress.

Thank you,
Guy Power
======

Culled from various issues of Kendo Nippon magazine

MUGAI RYU WAZA

Seiza no bu. Kneeling Section

Go-Yo (Five Needs)

1. Shin. Truth, reality. When combined with “shomen” [front of dojo] it is called “ma-shomen” and means “right in front.” Probably a reference to "true, real" front as that is where the direction of attack is focused.

2. Ren. Connected. The literal meaning of ‘ren’ is “ream, set, party, company, gang, clique” – all groupings. The same kanji, using another pronunciation, means “stand in a row, be connected with, put in a row, accompanied by.” I think the “be connected with” is appropriate as the kata piviots 180 degrees to the left, “connecting” front to rear.

3. Hidari. Left, where the direction of attack is focused. I learned it as "Sa" which is same kanji, but using the Chinese pronunciation.

4. Migi. Right, where the direction of attack is focused. I learned it as "Yu" -- Chinese pronunciation.

5. Sha. Discard, throw away. The same kanji is alternately pronounced as “sute.” Some techniques are “sute-mi” – sacrifice techniques, meaning literally “discard the body.” Perhaps this waza is so called because one must attack the enemy’s leg with the secont cut, thereby presenting a head and upper torso opening to your enemy.

Go-Ko (Five Items)

1. Suigetsu. Water and Moon (or more poetically, “moon reflected in water”). Suigetsu is an old term for the solar plexus; it probably serves as a mnemonic for the highlighted waza. This kata begins with a horizontal cut to the shoulder, followed by a flat thrust to the solar plexus. Suigetsu also has a deeper “esoteric” meaning – which I do not know.

2. In Chu Yoh. In = Yin (yin-yang principle of balanced opposites); Chu = Center; Yoh = Yang. In (say “eeeen”) has a variety of meanings: negative; reproduction organs; secret; shadow – and more. Yoh can mean: positive; male; sunshine – and more. This name, In-chu-yoh, might mean “between shadow and light” – but I am only making a feeble guess. The waza doesn’t help – it is ukenagashi (deflection), followed by kesagiri to the left. Unless …. Being under the blade (ukenagashi) you are in the “shadow”, and when cutting the kesagiri you are in the sunlight. And you – you are in the middle, between both techniques. Again, this is only me thinking out loud.

3. Yoh Chu In. Same kanji as number 2 above, but in a different order. Unfortunately, the waza provides *me* no clue as to what the name might mean. Waza: strike to the enemy’s foreward leg; straight cut to the head or torso.

4. Hibiki Kaeshi. Echo Returning. ?? Waza: horizontal cut (your left leg is foreward); supported thrust (the back of your sword rests in your left palm, cutting edge skyward); straight cut to the head or torso.

5. Hazumi. Ha = break; Zu = diagram; Mi = flavor (3 kanji compound). I don’t have the Kendo Nippon issue that has this article. And I don’t have a clue! Interestingly enough, there is also a single kanji with the pronunciation “hazumi” – this single kanji means “energy; inertia; spring; bound; chance.” I wonder if the three kanji Ha Zu Mi are some sort of “cover” for energy, etc.? Probably not. Like “Shu Ha Ri,” there is probably an established meaning known to the initiates only.

Tachi Waza no bu (Standing Techniques Section)

Hashiri Kakeri. Begin Running (or begin fleeing)

1. Maegoshi. Forward Hips

2. Muso Gaeshi. Inspiration Returning. "Muso" is a kanji compound comprising "dream" and "consciousness" -- a kind of inspiration. Although Nelson's Chinese Character Dictionary defines "muso" as 'vision,' I prefer "inspiration."

3. Mawari Keri. Begin Rotation (or begin detour). Do not confuse this name for the karate “mawashi-geri” roundhouse kick; the keri kanji for “kick” is different.

4. Migi no Teki. Enemy to the right

5. Shiho. Four Directions

Go-ou. Five Responses

1. Mune Tsukushi. Chest Exhausted. Mune can also mean “mind; heart; feelings.” Sounds like you are worn out.

2. En Yo. Circular Secret. En means “circle” and “yen” – money. Yo also means “essence.” Could the name imply a roundabout method of attack?

3. Ryo Sha. Two Wheels. This is an ancient “tameshigiri” cut and refers to cutting through both hip bones – so called because the pelvic bone is reminiscent of two wheels.

4. No Okuri. Sending Off to the Field.

5. Tama Hikari. Jewel Light.

Nai Den. Internal [secret] Transmissions

1. Sangyo Icchi. Three Lines of Cooperation. “Gyo” – which means “to go” – is also a counter for lines of text. “Sangyo” is also used to mean “letter” or “memorandum” as is seen in two examples within the Nelson’s Kanji Dictionary. Therefore, I do not think it is a great leap of faith to say this name could mean “Letter of Cooperation.”

2. Jinmon. Deity Gate.

3. Banpo Ki-itsu Toh. 10,000 Methods Return from One Sword. This sounds more like a maxim instead of a kata. However, I’m sure there’s a reason for it. Could it be better rendered as "A Sword of 10,000 Methods Converge Into One" ??
=========

Remember, if you KNOW the answers, PUH-LEEZE contact me.

Regards,
Guy

Mokushin
8th September 2000, 14:38
Guy,

Thanks for the post! That's very interesting. One thing that struck me immediately were the kata (waza) listed in the Hashiri Kakeri set. The names are identical to those of the Keishi-ryu. The only one that appears to be different is "Mawarinuki." [BTW- For those that don't know, the Keishi-ryu (Keishicho-ryu) is a school created for the police during the Meiji era and includes iaijutsu and kenjutsu]

Keishi-ryu Iai:
1. Maegoshi (Asayama Ichiden-ryu)
2. Musogaeshi (Shindo Munen-ryu)
3. Mawarinuki (Tamiya-ryu)
4. Migi no teki (Kyoshin Meichi-ryu)
5. Shiho (Tatsumi-ryu)

I wonder if there's any connection, or if the names were simply borrowed for the Keishi-ryu kata? If that's true, it seems strange that the set wouldn't include a Mugai-ryu kata.

Sincerely,

ghp
8th September 2000, 19:09
Ian,

I wonder if there's any connection, or if the names were simply borrowed for the Keishi-ryu kata? If that's true, it seems strange that the set wouldn't include a Mugai-ryu kata.

I'm not sure -- and I didn't make the connection. I've a copy of the Keishicho waza that were printed in the 1935 Kenjutsu Kyohan Shoukai (Tokyo: Rikugun Toyama Gakko), but it's been too long since last I looked at it. Incidentally, the "Kyohan" also contained a rank-comparrison chart for Butokukai, Keishicho, and some (3 or 4) koryu. I took the trouble to list the comparrisons when Dr. Friday was a fourm guest... I suppose it was lost. Well ... maybe (MAYBE) some time next week I can crank out an Excell spreadsheet -- IF there's any interest.

By the way, are you attending Bob Elder's "US Toyama Ryu Taikai" in Orlando? I don't know where Hulbert AF is (my atlas doesn't even show Homestead AFB -- so I have no hope of pinpointing your location without your help). :)

Regards,
Guy

Brian Dunham
11th September 2000, 01:14
Mr Power,

I would be very interested in this information, as I practice Keishi Ryu.

Joseph Svinth
11th September 2000, 06:22
Guy --

Hurlburt Field is part of the Eglin AFB complex, and has its own home page at http://www.hurlburt.af.mil . Be advised, however, that if you click on that URL, they'll have to kill you; seems the 50 aircraft assigned to the station include AC-130U-Spectre/Spookys, MC-130P-Shadows, MH53I and J-PaveLows, MH60G-PaveHawks, and the like.

Anyway, the base is located near Fort Walton Beach, Florida, which in turn is between Pensacola and Panama City (on the Panhandle, near the 'Bama border, for those of you without maps to hand). The city URL is http://www.fwb.org ; the Chamber of Commerce is http://www.fortwaltonbeachfl.org/TOC/table_of_contents.html

Sounds like typical officer country -- 12 championship golf courses, tennis courts, beaches (the tourist board calls it the Emerald Coast), and a public library having just 43,000 volumes.

[Edited by Joseph Svinth on 09-11-2000 at 03:28 AM]

George Kohler
11th September 2000, 07:03
He, he, he...

Guy,

You should know where Hurlbert Field is. Especially Eglin AFB :)

Mokushin
12th September 2000, 00:49
Guy et. all,

"Anyway, the base is located near Fort Walton Beach, Florida, which in turn is between Pensacola and Panama City (on the Panhandle, near the 'Bama border, for those of you without maps to hand). The city URL is http://www.fwb.org ; the Chamber of Commerce is http://www.fortwaltonbeachfl.org/TOC/table_of_contents.html

Sounds like typical officer country -- 12 championship golf courses, tennis courts, beaches (the tourist board calls
it the Emerald Coast), and a public library having just 43,000 volumes."

Some would say that any AB is "officer Country," but we won't go there....:bandit:

Well, now that you know where Hulburt is... I'm a 1W031 (Weatherman) with only a few weeks left in. Looking forward to getting back to the world and training full time (budo). Sorry to disappoint some of you guys who thought I might be with the 720th or 16th.... Sorry, not that high speed.;)

Anyone who's reading this and DOES go to the taikai. I'm interested in hearing a report. Sounds like excellent training.

Anyone have any ideas about the Keishicho-ryu connection?

Sincerely,

Joseph Svinth
12th September 2000, 08:28
Steven Seagal was just a cook; Ian's just a weatherman. :)

ghp
15th September 2000, 07:26
Brian,

Send me your e-mail. I made an exel document of page 366 (Kenjutsu Kyohan Shoukai, 1935) which gives a generic comparrison between various arts. "Keishicho's various dojo" is listed. It's highest rank is Ikkyu (1st kyu) which compares to 9~10th dan in the Butokukai and Toyama Academy.

Pages 499~510 give verbal descriptions of the "Keishicho Ryu Kata." I'll have to mail that to you -- it's in Japanese and I am not going to translate it, but I'll send it to you. These are really "kumitachi." Actually, these 10 forms are the "grandparents" of today's modern Kendo Kata: Keishicho Ryu > Dai Nippon Teikoku Kenjutsu Kata > Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Kata. I might have forgotten an "ancestor" or two.

Back to the Kenjutsu Kyohan Shoukai... there are 10 kata, broken down by Uchitachi (attacker -- generally the senior of the two) and Shitachi (defender).

"Keishicho Ryu was established in Meiji Gannen (1868) by kendo shihan Sakakibara Kenkichi, Kajigawa Yoshimasa, Tokuno Kaishiro. Developed from other existing ryuha techniques and trained for police-related work (p.499)."

1. Hasso. (Uchi[tachi] is gedan; Shi[tachi] is right side jodan) (From Jiki Shin Kage Ryu).
[I'll not translate the rest!!]

2. Henka [Variation]. (Uchi is jodan; Shi is chudan (seigan) (From Kurama Ryu).

3. Yatten Giri [8 Heaven Cut or Cutting Heaven Into 8 Pieces.] (Uchi is chudan; Shi is chudan) (From Tsusumi Hozan Ryu).

4. Maki Otoshi [Roll Down??] (Uchi is jodan; Shi is Ichimonji) (From Risshin Ryu).
[note: might be "Tatsu Shin" -- "Standing Heart"]

5. Gedan no Tsuki [Lower Thrust]. (Uchi is chudan; Shi is gedan) (From Hokushin Itto Ryu).

6. A-kyou. [just a guess... A-bi-kyo-kan is listed in Nelson's as "2 of Buddhism's hells." Maybe A_Kyo_ is an abbreviation???]
[Provenance not cited.]
[no description of kamae; doesn't explain from which ryuha it was culled. Does go into long explanation of shitachi/uchitach movements, though.]

7. Ichi Ni (no) Tachi [First and Second Strike]. [Provenance not cited.]
[Same as #6 -- no explanation. Later in text it appears both move towards each other in seigan no kamae.]

8. Uchi Otoshi [Striking Down].
[Provenance not cited.]
[Later in text shitachi is moving forward, raising the sword so that the blade-edge is on a diagonal; uchitachi is in wakigamae].

9. Hachiku [Splitting Bamboo].
[Provenance not cited.]
[Later in text, shitachi steps out in jodan; uchitachi steps forward from jodan, coming to seigan].

10. Kurai Tsumu [Tight Situation]. [Provenance not cited.]
[Looks like both are in seigan???]

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Guy

ghp
15th September 2000, 07:29
Joe & George,

Obviously you two are making me believe that Hurlbert AF is somehow related to the Swamp Phase of Ranger School.

Honest -- by that time I was trying to put imaginary quarters in cypress trees, thinking they were soda machines!!

Really, all I remember about that time is Santa Rosa Island and that one-eyed alligator at the Camp.

Regards,
Guy