PDA

View Full Version : Iaido Dojos in Orange County

kume
14th April 2003, 00:45
Hi All,

I've been studying Mugai Ryu Iaido and some Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido in Toronto, Canada. I will be relocating to California for a job in Irvine. I am very eager to continue studying iaido. If anyone has any information re. iaido dojos in Orange County, it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you.
kume

DCPan
14th April 2003, 20:43
Southern California Iaido Association
210 N. Hoover St.
Los Angeles, CA

kume
14th April 2003, 23:00
Please forgive my ignorance of California geography, however, I was under the impression that it would be quite a commute from Irvine to LA; please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks,
kume

DCPan
14th April 2003, 23:22
Originally posted by kume
Please forgive my ignorance of California geography, however, I was under the impression that it would be quite a commute from Irvine to LA; please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks,
kume

Well, my intent was actually for you to call the guy and find out if there's anything "closer" to you.

For example, Gene Kodama sensei of Norwalk Dojo practice iai. I believe she is MSR though.

Besides, when I was down there, I used to drive 45min to 75min (one-way) to Kendo Practice....

:D

kume
14th April 2003, 23:51
Thanks for your reply. I have actually emailed Dennis and will follow-up with a phone call. How long would the commute to LA be on the average evening? On the wknd?

Cheers,
kume

DCPan
15th April 2003, 00:10
Originally posted by kume
How long would the commute to LA be on the average evening? On the wknd?

Cheers,
kume

Well, LA is kind of a big place. You should try Yahoo Mapquest. I haven't been in LA since the early 90's, so my impressions of driving conditions are hardly up-to-date.

Which style are you looking for anyway? You do Mugai Ryu and MJER, but with the Kendo Renmei, you will find primarily MSR.

Perhaps you'd want to talk to the Suio-Ryu folks?

kume
15th April 2003, 00:29
At this point I'm looking for any traditional style. I'd probably lean towards MJER if it were nearby; however, the quality of the dojo, its principles, students, sensei, etc. are equally important to me than the style. I'm not familiar with MSR. I was in contact with someone from suio-ryu today; he said I would enjoy this ryu.

While I enjoy training with partners using a bokken, I want to focus on kata and studying with an iaito (which I recently purchased). From my research it appears as though some styles/dojos use iaito, while others rarely or never do (they're mostly combatitive).

Cheers,
kume

Tetsuo
15th April 2003, 07:40
www.suioryu-usa.org

Ralutin
18th April 2003, 08:03
Hi Kume,

We practice seitei-iai and Muso Shinden Ryu iaido at Norwalk kendo dojo and Chuo kendo dojo in East L.A. You can find more information and practice schedules on our website: http://groups.msn.com/scia

Incidentally, I attended and graduated from UC Irvine and lived in Irvine for a few years after graduation. The commute to Norwalk from Irvine on Monday night (~8 p.m.) for iaido practice isn't bad at all: about 30 minutes with fairly light traffic. I did that commute for about a year or so. I also know a couple of people from the Suio Ryu study group as I started practicing iaido with them about ten years ago. Excellent group of iaidoka and you will learn a great deal from them as I have.

I encourage you to come by and observe our practice one of these Monday nights at Norwalk. and if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Dennis Ralutin
Southern California Iaido Association

kume
20th April 2003, 17:37
Thank you for the information Dennis. Upon my relocation to Irvine in 1-2 months, I will visit all of these dojos!

Cheers,
kume