PDA

View Full Version : Ki Aikido and Aikido internet yellow pages

Okami
8th September 2000, 22:34
Hello,

like I wrote in the subject I was curious if there are yellow pages or similar where you can find Aikido dojos (NO FRAUDS please) worldwide (in my case-Croatia).

And is there anybody who can explain me the differnce between Ki Aikido and other Aikido systems and what system they prefer.Thanks.

Especially helpfull would be someone who nows about a good Aikido dojo in Croatia!

Thank you very much in advance.

kenkyusha
9th September 2000, 12:58
Hello,

One suggestion would be Jun Akiyama's excellent website, http://www.aikiweb.com .

Be well,
Jigme

Okami
9th September 2000, 21:42
Thanks.

Any other comments?

Joseph Svinth
10th September 2000, 01:13
1. Go to Google or equivalent browser. For connections to a variety of good browsers, try http://www.searchlores.org/main.htm .

2. Type "aikido Croatia" into the search box.

3. Hit return.

On Google, this brought up 689 sites, of which at least three quickly refer you to clubs in Zaghreb, Zadar, and Bonaca Split.

Alternatively you go to the AikiWeb site http://www.aikiweb.com/search . Querying "Croatia" reveals five clubs with websites or e-mail addresses.

As to how good individual clubs and their instructors are, well, I don't do aikido and haven't been to Croatia so can't say. Sorry. :(

[Edited by Joseph Svinth on 09-09-2000 at 07:19 PM]

Okami
10th September 2000, 23:12
Thank you very much , Mr. Svinth!

To all the Aikido practicioners (?):

I´ve got so much websites and so much different organizations that I´m more and more confused!

Anyone who can explain the differences between the organizations?

And every website is (or organization) is stating that they are the best (in one way or another)...So...

;)

<b>Thank you for your time</b>

astudent
11th September 2000, 00:04
i would visit :look: the dojos that interest you for whatever reason, name, location, etc. each dojo may practice a different style but that's not to say one is "better" then any other. visit each dojo and ask them questions and get your own impression of what they are like. then go back and start training :D

Okami
11th September 2000, 00:23
Originally posted by astudent
i would visit :look: the dojos that interest you for whatever reason, name, location, etc. each dojo may practice a different style but that's not to say one is "better" then any other. visit each dojo and ask them questions and get your own impression of what they are like. then go back and start training :D

First: Thank you for the answer.

Rest :) :

I will do that for sure!I will surely not start training without visiting all the dojos and to see their training ...

I have MA experience but NO grappling system experience.So I really cannot tell if the Aikido dojo X is better than dojo Y (techniques).I will have to count on my sixth sense ;) .

I´m still interrested in the differences between the organizations.I don´t want to read posts like: "X rulez";"Y is the only legitimate" etc.I´d like to read more objective post (if someone have the time and will to write anything).

Ah,I´m getting boring.Bye.

:D

Joseph Svinth
11th September 2000, 05:37
For information about the various styles and how they got to be that way, try Stan Pranin's encyclopedia at Aikido Journal.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/reference/encyclopedia/index.htm

MarkF
11th September 2000, 08:56
Also, Mr. Rebic,
Along with visiting as many dojo as possible, ask about taking and introductory class in the dojo, in all you are considering.

Most good dojo offer this, and, along with your visits, this can help you make a decision.

As aikikdo styles these days can be different from each other from dojo to dojo so even finding the style you want along with the dojo may be difficult.

My suggestion would be to speak with the teachers after taking said class. Ask about his style, from whom he learned or studied, and whose teachings he follows. Since at least one style has competition (shodokan ryu, or Tomiki Kenji style), this may also be something about which to ask. Some Tomiki stylists do not have competition (shiai) so here again it is from dojo to dojo.

Lastly, try to find the right teacher instead of style. This is probably more important than your wish to study aikido, as a teacher can make or break your decision. Location, fees (including testing/grading fees, mat fees, etc.), how often it meets and how often you can meet as well, and also contracts of minimum length, etc., are all important.

I don't meant to scare you, but if it is anything similar there as it is here, these are all considerations you must take.

Good Luck!:wave:

BTW: You are probably thinking of the Ki Society aikido, but the different syles today are mind boggling. Aikido Journal in the above post will get you more and better answers to your questions.

Mark

Yamantaka
11th September 2000, 12:22
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Okami
[B]
I´ve got so much websites and so much different organizations that I´m more and more confused!
Anyone who can explain the differences between the organizations?
And every website is (or organization) is stating that they are the best (in one way or another)...So...
;)"

YAMANTAKA : Ah...! The Great Question...
Which is the best (the correct one, the official, the traditional) school of painting ? The Figurative, The Expressionist, The Cubist?
Which is the correct form of sculpture ?
Which is the "correct" form of writing, what is the "traditional" style?
In art, there are no "frozen" ways and each one thinks his approach is the best one. You'll have to look and decide for yourself.

Okami
11th September 2000, 21:13
Thank you all!You´re just great...

I will try to use all the suggestions you´ve gave me and I will read as much as I can in the Aikido Journal!

:)

<b>THANK YOU!</b>

George Ledyard
13th September 2000, 14:43
Try http://www.aikidofaq.com/guide/index.html

It is Kjartan Clausen's site (Norway I believe) and has a very nice world dojo listing.

Okami
15th September 2000, 22:47
Originally posted by George Ledyard
Try http://www.aikidofaq.com/guide/index.html

It is Kjartan Clausen's site (Norway I believe) and has a very nice world dojo listing.

Thank you,George!I have done enough i-net research now I must go to the <b>very</b> few dojos in Zagreb and decide....

Bye.

I´ll let you know when I´m a real <i>Aikidoka</i> :) ...