PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate gift for a koryu instructor?

jquinn
18th April 2003, 21:05
An instructor I know is having will soon celebrate the twentieth anniversary of his dojo. Is there any gift that is considered appropriate or traditional for the students to give to their instructor in a koryu system?

Thank you

Meik Skoss
19th April 2003, 00:48
Yeah, there is. Something he or she would like, or find useful. It'd be extra nice if there were some sort of connection to whatever ryu the teacher belongs to.

Barring that, booze, weapons, tools, or flowers. Or maybe fluffy bunny slippers. (Seriously, it'd depend on the individual. But if he is like most of us, weapons or booze'd be good...)

Hope this helps,

Kennesten
21st April 2003, 07:39
Hello, jquinn. In Asian culture (or at least in Chinese and Korean for sure), it's usually taboo to give a knife or something that cuts as a gift (this also includes things like shaken, etc.). The symbolic implication of the gift is a severing of the relationship.
Sorry for the warning, but I just wanted to make sure the feeling of your gift remained true. Good luck -- I'm sure your instructor will love it!

Nicholas Lauridsen

mikeym
21st April 2003, 09:29
I'm curious, are there any other gifts that are taboo in Japanese culture? For example, I was told that in Vietnamese culture, white flowers and clocks are both related to death, so should never be given as gifts. Does this apply to Japanese culture as well?

- Mike

Rennis
21st April 2003, 12:46
Originally posted by Kennesten
Hello, jquinn. In Asian culture (or at least in Chinese and Korean for sure), it's usually taboo to give a knife or something that cuts as a gift (this also includes things like shaken, etc.). The symbolic implication of the gift is a severing of the relationship.
Sorry for the warning, but I just wanted to make sure the feeling of your gift remained true. Good luck -- I'm sure your instructor will love it!

Nicholas Lauridsen

I can't speak for back in the day, but today such taboo's don't really seem in place in Japan, especially when budo is involved. A friend of mine even recieved a tanto from a swordsmith friend of his for a wedding gift, one event you probably won't want to talk severing relationships at. Basically just use common sense and ask if you have a question about a specific item.

Best,
Rennis Buchner

Kennesten
22nd April 2003, 07:18
Thanks for updating/putting it into perspective, Rennis. That reminds me that there's the taboo on the number 4, the kanji for which has the same pronounciation as death (shi) -- but as you said, the superstition seems to have faded, and I see boxed sets of Japanese teacups, etc. in groups of four all the time. Might just be a mainland (i.e. Chinese/Korean) thing.

Nicholas Lauridsen