PDA

View Full Version : Ki - health perspective

Bungle
21st April 2003, 19:51
hi, i'm a new poster really so go easy ;)

I read the rather large thread about ki and found it interesting and it seems many of you have different opinions on the matter. Really, it seems to me that some of you see it from the karate point of view and some from the chinese point of view; which to me seem like to different ways of looking at it..

Many civilizations in the world developed the theory that there is a ever present source of energy that makes up the universe and it is only our ego that filters this energy into the phenomenom we view as reality.

I was always under that impression, however, that in order to cultivate a greater flow of this energy through us, we needed to practice some form of energy cultivation. I assume some of you have viewed chi gong and know it specifically designed for energy cultivation where as kung fu forms on the whole present only combat technique (possibly done in a way to maximize energy use).

From this point of view i think some martial arts lack the cultivation methods. Still, some accidentally cultivate a greater flow through a better connection with the universe while doing various forms of meditation.

From a health perspective, chi gong clears energy blockages and opens you up to a greater flow of energy through your meridians. What i'm trying to say is that if chi gong is specifically desgined to correct energy flow then how could any other physical and mental exercise be anywhere near as efficient?

I mean to say. Through karate one can meditate while performing kata which will increase flow of energy because of the loss of ego. The energy part though is a secondary benefit and is slow compared to chi gong. Chi gong on the other hand cultivates energy first and any ego loss is the bonus. So if energy cultivation is your aim shouldn't you practice chi gong?

A loss of ego gives us a greater connection to the universe and clears blockages in our body manifested by the ego. That's what i understand.

This website is packed with information which i got most of my know how from: www.wahnam.com.
Thanks for your time

Gene Williams
21st April 2003, 20:06
Where is Kimpatsu when we need him? Bungle, please sign your posts with your full name. Forum rules, thanks. Gene

CEB
21st April 2003, 20:39
The other thread was closed before my questioned was answered so here it is again is the kanji for Ki as used in Budo the same as when used in byouki and genki?

25th April 2003, 23:01
hello Bungle (intereting name?)

Welcome aboard and you make some good observations, allow me to respond.

You said:
I assume some of you have viewed chi gong and know it specifically designed for energy cultivation where as kung fu forms on the whole present only combat technique (possibly done in a way to maximize energy use).

You are right in that Qigong specializes in ciltivation and usage of Qi (ki, Chi) for health purposes but it does not end there. In Taiji practices one uses teh same techniques and principles to cultivate it but it goes one step further which is to emitt it in a combative sence, i.e.- strike, Chin-na (tuite) etc.. I would say that Taiji specializes in this, most Kung fu styles have some aspects of it (a combination of internal and external) but for the most part in my travels I have yet come across any karate style that even addresses it in any sort of systematic may, let alone have actual techiques like Taiji does

You said:
From a health perspective, chi gong clears energy blockages and opens you up to a greater flow of energy through your meridians. What i'm trying to say is that if chi gong is specifically desgined to correct energy flow then how could any other physical and mental exercise be anywhere near as efficient?

Qigong specializes in Health, martial arts like Taiji share and overlap with strickly Qigong practices in similar activities. But I believe you are correct in saying that Qigong is more efficient because that is it's specialty. Although I would add that there are categories such, as Health Qigong , Medicinal, (curative) Qigong , and there is also Martial Qigong of all three the martial Qigong is the "FIRE" the one that is the most bountiful and generates the most and fastest. It was designed this way for it would take less time and practice to learn, for the purpose of teaching many (such in an army, or group etc...) sort of assemblyline mentality.

You said:
I mean to say. Through karate one can meditate while performing kata which will increase flow of energy because of the loss of ego.

I respectfully disagree with your remark here for I think that although ego can be a bad thing, profficiency at Qigong and the "loss of ego" are not mutually dependant. We all (myself included) need to be very careful when we use the word meditation in a martial context, because it is so widely used. Kata in general, is not a tool to meditate by, it is a tool to learn a diverse set of defensive/offensive skils, applications, motor function, mobility etc... one's state of mind has to be clear and one should be in a state of tranquility during kata practice (therefoer it can have elements that may be semantically similar to meditation). But I cannot see how some kind of energy which is not clearly define in this thread will ensure the loss of ego. I think if we were talking about philosophy, with a religious humanistic twist to it, the term would fit better than using it in the contect of cultivation of Ki. Case in point- a dreadful human being, who's ego has made his head the size of Mr. Potatoe head, and has the ability to generate lots of KI- I ma sure we have all come across people like this in the past.

You said:
So if energy cultivation is your aim shouldn't you practice chi gong?

Yes you are right, Qigong will do it. But so will the standard practices of "Standing pole" and silk reeling exercises unique to Chen Style Taiji Quan. Even the 2 forms of Taiji Quan all are based on generating Qi, and learning how to deliver it.

You said:
A loss of ego gives us a greater connection to the universe and clears blockages in our body manifested by the ego. That's what i understand.

I agree with you 100%, ego is one of the things that makes your life problematic, and invites negative experiences. After all one of the main tenets of all martial arts is "loss of ego" and "be humble". There is one dude that was recently banned from here that could have benefitted from you post.

So you sound to be quite involved in Qigong practices? If so what Kinds do you do?

BTW-that is a cool website.

Peace! V