PDA

View Full Version : mother stabs her young child

Cody
22nd April 2003, 08:26
Suicidal mother fatally stabs young daughter

MATSUYAMA -- A woman was arrested here Monday for the brutal slaying of her 10-year-old daughter, police said.

Kozue Sugino has admitted to repeatedly knifing her daughter, Saaya, a fifth grader.

"I was going to kill myself, too, but couldn't bring myself to do it," Sugino told the police.

Saaya's associates were shocked. "She was a good kid who cared a lot for others," her homeroom teacher Kazuyoshi Tanaka said.

But a neighbor suggested there may have been sinister signs of a breakdown in the relationship between Saaya and her mother. "Saaya seemed to be scared of her mother," the neighbor said. "But, she was a good girl."

Police said just before 8 a.m. Monday Sugino repeatedly stabbed Saaya with a kitchen knife, bringing her to within an inch of her life. She then called the police and admitted stabbing her child.

Paramedics arrived on the scene and rushed Saaya to a nearby hospital, but she died through a massive loss of blood. Her mother was initially arrested for attempted murder, but the charge was upgraded to murder upon the child's death.

Sugino and Saaya shared their home with Sugino's mother and another daughter. The grandmother was out of the home at the time of the killing, while the 13-year-old elder daughter had already left for school. (Mainichi Shimbun, April 21, 2003)