PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old youth "provoked" into stabbing a homeless man to death

Cody
22nd April 2003, 08:59
ƒz?[ƒ€ƒŒƒXŽ€–S?F
ŽhŽE‚µ‚½‚P‚T?΂ð?!”N‰@‘—’v?@“Œ‹ž‰Æ?Ù

?@“Œ‹ž“s?¢“c’J‹æ‚ÌŒö‰€‚Å‚QŒŽ?A’†Šw‚R”N?¶?i“–Žž?j‚Ì?!”N?i‚P‚T?j‚ªƒz?[ƒ€ƒŒƒX‚Ì’j?«?i‚T‚Q?j‚ðŽ€–S‚³‚¹‚½??ŠQ’vŽ€Ž–Œ?‚Å?A“Œ‹ž‰Æ?Ù‚Í‚Q‚P“ú?A?!”N‚ð?‰“™?!”N‰@‘—’v‚Æ‚·‚錈’è‚ð?o ‚µ‚½?B

?@Œˆ’è‚É‚æ‚é‚Æ?A?!”N‚Í‚QŒŽ‚T“ú–é?A“¯‹æ‚Ì‘å‘ ‰^“®Œö‰€‚Å?A’j?«‚ÉŒ¾‚¢‚ª‚©‚è‚ð‚‚¯‚ç‚ê‚ĉ£‚è?‡‚¢‚Æ‚È‚è?A ’j?«‚Ì?¶‹¹‚ðƒiƒCƒt‚ÅŽh‚µ‚ÄŽ€–S‚³‚¹‚½?B

?@“¯‰Æ?Ù‚Í?!”N‚Ì?sˆ×‚ɂ‚¢‚Ä?uƒiƒCƒt‚Å“Ë‚«Žh‚·?sˆ×‚Í–h‰q‚Ì’ö“x‚ð’´‚¦‚Ä‚¢‚é?v‚Æ‚µ‚È‚ª‚ç‚à?A?u”íŠQŽÒ‚É ‚à‘Š‰ž‚Ì—Ž‚¿“x‚ª‚ ‚é?B?!”N‚É”ñ?s—ð‚Í‚È‚!?Aˆâ‘°‘¤‚ÉŽÓ?ß‚·‚é‚Ȃǎނނׂ«Ž–?î‚à‚ ‚é?v‚Æ”»’f‚µ‚½?B?@?yˆä ?茛?z

?m–ˆ“ú?V•·‚SŒŽ‚Q‚Q“ú?n ( 2003-04-22-03:01 )

Make shift translation:

Tokyo - Feb 5th, at night, a homeless man (52) made false accuses against a middle school youth (15) in Okura Park, this soon turns into a fight. The youth fatally stabbed the man on the left side of his chest.

"To stab with a knife as defense is excessive." the Tokyo Domestic Relation Court announces. "However, the victim is also responsible to a certain degree. Considering the youth has no criminal record in the past, he must express condolence to the victim's family by actions such as offering apologies." The court rules.

P.S. I don't feel very good about the translation in the last part; if someone out there wants to correct me, feel free.

Cody
22nd April 2003, 12:14
Dear me, what have I done??

To translate that particular sentance more precisely:

ƒiƒCƒt‚Å“Ë‚«Žh‚·?sˆ×‚Í–h‰q‚Ì’ö“x‚ð’´‚¦‚Ä‚¢‚é

The act of stabbing with a knife has cross the line [beyond] self defense.

I apologize for the sloppy translation. I was hoping someone more educated will give a better translation. Please don't take my translation literally, I didn't translate word-by-word, I just gave a general summary of what was going on, and it's awfully inaccurate u_u

That said, I don't think the wording makes that much difference ... the court still pretty much automatically disregard knife use as an acceptable mean of self defense. (although the youth is pardoned in this case)

Don Cunningham
22nd April 2003, 13:22
The translation may not accurately reflect the sentiment, depending on context and connotation -- but if this does convey the fellow's meaning, it is further evidence of the grudging recognition of self-defense as morally legitimate provided one does not defend one's self too well. The comment dovetails nicely with the "Knife Incident" thread in the Members Lounge.
Phillippe,

Maybe you should have read this last bit...

The act of stabbing with a knife has cross the line [beyond] self defense....the court still pretty much automatically disregard knife use as an acceptable mean of self defense. (although the youth is pardoned in this case)

renfield_kuroda
23rd April 2003, 03:02
Originally posted by Cody
ƒz?[ƒ€ƒŒƒXŽ€–S?F
ŽhŽE‚µ‚½‚P‚T?΂ð?!”N‰@‘—’v?@“Œ‹ž‰Æ?Ù

?@“Œ‹ž“s?¢“c’J‹æ‚ÌŒö‰€‚Å‚QŒŽ?A’†Šw‚R”N?¶?i“–Žž?j‚Ì?!”N?i‚P‚T?j‚ªƒz?[ƒ€ƒŒƒX‚Ì’j?«?i‚T‚Q?j‚ðŽ€–S‚³‚¹‚½??ŠQ’vŽ€Ž–Œ?‚Å?A“Œ‹ž‰Æ?Ù‚Í‚Q‚P“ú?A?!”N‚ð?‰“™?!”N‰@‘—’v‚Æ‚·‚錈’è‚ð?o ‚µ‚½?B

?@Œˆ’è‚É‚æ‚é‚Æ?A?!”N‚Í‚QŒŽ‚T“ú–é?A“¯‹æ‚Ì‘å‘ ‰^“®Œö‰€‚Å?A’j?«‚ÉŒ¾‚¢‚ª‚©‚è‚ð‚‚¯‚ç‚ê‚ĉ£‚è?‡‚¢‚Æ‚È‚è?A ’j?«‚Ì?¶‹¹‚ðƒiƒCƒt‚ÅŽh‚µ‚ÄŽ€–S‚³‚¹‚½?B

?@“¯‰Æ?Ù‚Í?!”N‚Ì?sˆ×‚ɂ‚¢‚Ä?uƒiƒCƒt‚Å“Ë‚«Žh‚·?sˆ×‚Í–h‰q‚Ì’ö“x‚ð’´‚¦‚Ä‚¢‚é?v‚Æ‚µ‚È‚ª‚ç‚à?A?u”íŠQŽÒ‚É ‚à‘Š‰ž‚Ì—Ž‚¿“x‚ª‚ ‚é?B?!”N‚É”ñ?s—ð‚Í‚È‚!?Aˆâ‘°‘¤‚ÉŽÓ?ß‚·‚é‚Ȃǎނނׂ«Ž–?î‚à‚ ‚é?v‚Æ”»’f‚µ‚½?B?@?yˆä ?茛?z

Homeless Killed: 15 year-old sent to Juvenile Detention by Tokyo Family Court

In a Setagaya Ward park in Tokyo in February, a 3rd year junior high school student (at the time 15 years old) was found guilty of fatally stabbing a homeless man and was sent to juvenile detention by a decision of the Tokyo Family Court on the 21st.

According to the decision, on the night of Feb 5th, the youth got into an argument with the homeless man that came to blows, and the homeles man got stabbed in the left side of his chest and died from the injury.
The court declared that "stabbing the homeless man went beyond the bounds of self-defense" but that "the victim also has some responsibility. The youth had no previous criminal record and must properly apologize for his actions" in coming to their decision.

I think the key to remember here is:
* Unlike in the US, in Japan blame is almost ALWAYS split between victim and assailant. For example, it is practically unheard of to be in a car accident and be found to have zero fault. You could be stopped at a red light and slammed into by a drunk driver plowing down the road the wrong way and you still probably wouldn't be found to be 100% no fault.

* Take this report in the context that recently attacks on homeless by youths has skyrocketed. Used to call it 'wilding' in the 80s in Central Park. You ever walk by a homeless person who shouted at you? Happens all the time in Japan. Do you then get in an argument with him that comes to blows and finally end up stabbing him, or do you just walk away?
I'm yet to see a report of a homeless man attacking, unprovoked, a 15 year kid in the middle of the night in the middle of a park, but there are plenty of cases of packs of kids attacking and killing homeless, and often the reason give is "He said stuff" or "He smelled" or "We was bored."

Not to discredit Phil's or anyone elses argument about self-defense, but I tend to think this was a 'troubled youth' with a chip on his shoulder and a knife in his pocket, looking for trouble and finding it.

Regards,

renfield kuroda

Cody
23rd April 2003, 03:22
THank you kuroda san, you saved my life! ;__;