PDA

View Full Version : New video and book!

Anders Pettersson
10th September 2000, 13:05
Gassho.

Shorinji Kempo Hombu has recently released a new video and a book (the first book of a series of three).

I had the fortune to receive a copy of this book and video from Arai-sensei when he visited Sweden in the beginning of September.

The book is the first in a series of three and contains Goho, the other two books will emphasize on Juho.
It has a short explanation of each technique (only in Japanese) and each technique is shown in a series of photographs from three different directions (10-24 pictures from each direction), each techniques name is also written in romaji (ordinary alphabet). There is also some pages on Shorinji Kempo history (in Japanese).

I think it gives quite a good explanation on each technique even if one don't read Japanese.
The book title is "Shorinji Kempo Goho, profound study with serial pictures". The price for the book is 2500 yen and ISBN is 4-583-03585-3.

The video, which is titled "?!—ÑŽ›Œ?–@‚»‚Ì‹Z–@‚Æ‹³‚¦" ("Shorinji Kempo sono gihou to oshie" which could be translated as "Shorinji Kempo its techniques and teachings") is a short introduction and I must admit that it was a lot better then I expected.
It is currently only available in NTSC format, but for us in Europe most video players today can manage both our PAL system and NTSC.

The video is 37 minutes long and gives an explanation of the different elements in Shorinji Kempo in a very good way. The first time I watched it was together with some new members and although they didn't understand the Japanese they thought it was informative anyway. For kenshi that knows the basic Japanese terms used in Shorinji Kempo I guess you understand quite a lot.
The price for the video is 3800 yen and ISBN is 4-583-04044-X.

I can really recommend this video as well.

You can order both the video and book from Hombu through your Shibu-cho (branch master).

Anders
<A href=?hhttp://www.shorinji-kempo.org/">www.shorinji-kempo.org</A>

timbarton
14th September 2000, 09:40
Gassho Anders - I am a new Kenshi in London UK (3 weeks now) and am really enjoying the beginnings of my training in Shorinji Kempo. I'm struggling a bit with the terminology and co-ordinating my arms / legs / head / body -&- brain - but I'll get there (hopefully!)

I enjoy the techniques but equally ( and maybe a little more so ) the philosphy behind the art, it just really suits where I am in my life right now.

I am the sort of person who likes to know as much as I can about a subject and have been browsing the web for as much information as I can find - thats how I found this site. I am pleased there are books & videos available.

Can I ask for your help please. I understand there was another book published & printed in English by the founder Doshin So called 'What is Shorinji Kempo'. I'd really like to get a copy but I cant find it anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction please??

Thanks very much

George Hyde
14th September 2000, 12:12
Hi Tim,

Welcome to e-budo and Shorinji Kempo.

The book you're looking for is somewhat of a Holy Grail in Shorinji Kempo. You may find some references to it in on-line bookstores but I've yet to find one with a copy available. Some time ago, a student of mine in the book trade managed to track down a copy, but it had by this time (having gone out of print in the 70's) become prohibitively expensive.

I managed to track down the UK office of the distributors but even they didn't hold out any hope of seeing a reprint. I've spoken to Mizuno Sensei about this and the general opinion from Hombu was that a reprint would be unlikely in favour of more up-to-date publications in the pipeline.

Generally, I'm afraid that the potential English speaking market for such publications just isn't large enough at present to warrant affordable availability of this particular gem.

Despite this, we're not giving up hope - stay tuned to this forum and the BSKF web site at http://www.bskf.org for any developments.

In closing, I should say that I myself have a copy at the moment. However, this is Mizuno Sensei's personal copy which I let out of my possession on pain of death.

Later,

Steve Williams
14th September 2000, 22:50
Hi Tim

The book in question is very rare, I have a copy which I picked up at a second hand bookshop just after I started training (many years ago).
It has a lot of info, although the pictures are a bit strange (staged, not "action" photos that you now see), well it is an old book.

I have seen this book for sale on e-bay (auction site) but it was listed at about £30 and eventually went for a lot more !! (the original price was £7-40 back in the early eighties).

BTW I will bring my copy to training to show you.

Steve Williams
15th September 2000, 00:15
Just been to ebay, they have a copy, bids to the end of the week, VERY EXPENSIVE $150 !!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=432354549

luar
15th September 2000, 03:23
Steve:

Yeah, I saw that book on EBay also. What I like to know is how much shoulf that book cost.

Also, I just got back from Portland, Oregon and there is a fantastic book store there called Powells (http://www.powells.com) which sells rare books. Search for Shorinji and you will find several books listed. Unfortunately, they are not in stock - no big surprise there. I called them up to see if they can order it for me but the best they can do is to notify you when they have it in stock.

Adios

George Hyde
15th September 2000, 13:51
Hi All,

I came across powells.com the other day and saw "Shorinji Kempo" by Ken Zen Ichinyo??? Surely a cock-up.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Later,

Steve Williams
15th September 2000, 19:37
Originally posted by luar
Steve:

Yeah, I saw that book on EBay also. What I like to know is how much shoulf that book cost.

Adios

If it is the same book I have (I think it is from the description, although it says it is hardcover wheras mine is softcover) then it originally sold for less than £10 (about $14 at todays rate !!).

Somebody is hoping to make a killing by clearing their attic !!

Steve Williams
15th September 2000, 19:46
Originally posted by George Hyde
Hi All,

I came across powells.com the other day and saw "Shorinji Kempo" by Ken Zen Ichinyo??? Surely a cock-up.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Later,

Just been to powells and put "Shorinji Kempo" in the search, came back with 3 titles: What is Shorinji Kempo by Doshin So (the book we were all talking about), Nippon Shorinji Kempo (dont know anything about this one, but our art used to be labled "Nippon Shorinji Kempo" in Japan, so maybe an old print??), and this "Shorinji Kempo" by Ken Zen and R Ichinyo.
I did hear from some Japanese friends a few months ago that there were a couple of light-hearted kempo books coming out, is this one of these, or is George right and this is a bad misprint?

Are there any Shorinji Kempo e-budo members who live in Japan and can shed any more light on this ???