PDA

View Full Version : koryu demonstration in Worcester, MA...

Meik Skoss
24th April 2003, 21:29
FYI,

There will be a demonstration and presentation of the classical martial arts and taiko drumming on Sunday, 4 May, at the art museum in Worcester, Massachusetts, starting at 1:00 p.m. This is in conjunction with the muesum's new exhibit, "Samurai Spirit." The taiko group is from Boston, I believe, and that's all I know about them, but I've been told they're pretty good and it should be an interesting performance.

The demonstrated will be by the Shutokukan Dojo and New York Yagyukai, and include Yagyu Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu/Yagyu Seigo-ryu battojutsu, Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu and Shinto-ryu kenjutsu. If time permits, we may also do a demonstration of Jubei no jo, the techniques for tetsujo, a weapon unique to the Yagyu-ryu that created by Yagyu Jubei Mitsutoshi. The budo demonstration will be followed by a brief Q&A session, then a short intermission, and then it'll be time for the taiko. ("Those native drums, those drums, they're driving me MAD!!" -- but at least that's better than "the tintinabulation of the bells," no?)

Anyway, if you're in the area and interested, we look forward to seeing you at this thing. Maybe there'll be time for brewskis and badinage afterward?

Diane Skoss
24th April 2003, 23:25
Hi all,

I don't believe the auditorium will be set up for a formal Q&A session. The format will be more lecture/demonstration, by a small group of us from the Shutokukuan and NY Yagyukai.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Dan Harden
28th April 2003, 13:49
Such a delightful little state is our Massachusetts. The finest collection of Japanese weaponry outside of Japan including many national treasures, in Worcester we have America’s most extensive collection of European armors, all sorts of colleges and medical and research work that has seen teachers of the likes of Takenouchi ryu, Sho-sho ryu, TSKSR, and Daito ryu washed up on our shores. Sometimes for many years and in one case- it is now home.
Now we get to see a display of Koryu arts by two premier researchers who have returned home.
Not bad for a lil ol state.

BTW Meik, having just seen the real Taiko drummers here in Mass. again a few months ago and having seen the local lads and lasses at the Blackship festival in Newport a few years back- I can say there is no comparison. The locals put on a nice effort though.

I will get the word out to a few schools I know in Boston, Cambridge and Rhode Island. They would be upset if they missed you and Diane.
We will have a small group there but would not think to burden you with questions.

Cheers
Dan

Diane Skoss
28th April 2003, 14:27
Ah! Grasshopper! There will be no formal Q&A session in the auditorium. That doesn't mean we aren't available before/after the performance. Meik likes nothing better than to talk about martial arts, so please please don't hesitate to come say "hey" to us.

I've not a clue as to the setup at the auditorium (nor even its name/location--gee, great PR person I am [statement dripping with sarcasm]), so can't advise you how best to proceed, but I'm sure we'll be able to figure things out if you want to get together. We'll be hanging around to watch the drumming and should be spottable (like the owls?) after the performance.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Meik Skoss
28th April 2003, 16:06
Dunno how long the taiko performance will be, but if folks want to do so, I'm sure we will be up for a bit of post-embu bibulation and badinage. I am also very much looking forward to viewing the arms and armor exhibits at the museum. I've read about them before, and they're supposed to be very good. See you there!

Margaret Lo
28th April 2003, 18:08
Wish I could make it there. Brings to mind those lucky years when my significant other worked at Boston MFA right next to that gorgeous sword collection and I got to see it every week almost.

If you make it into Boston, may I suggest:
Helmond in East Cambridge (Lechmere) for Afghani food.
Dong Kanh - Harrison street near the corner of Kneeland street in Chinatown. Best Vietnamese restaurant I have been able to find.
Dali's - Tapas in Somerville, corner of North Beacon & Washington(?)

M

Dan Harden
2nd May 2003, 00:51
Diane
You and Meik will be exhibiting delighting those in attendance at the Tuckerman hall at 1 p.m.
Tuckerman hall is not close to the Museum so do not ask for directions to it from helpful bystanders. Instead ask for directions to the Armory off Lincoln square (next door).
Tuckerman hall is clearly marked and right next door.
From all major routes take Rt. 290, to Lincoln street exit, Take a right at the lights and your next left at first light. You will be facing Tuckerman hall.
You can get to Rt. 290 from the Mass pike exit 10 in Auburn Mass.

Check your private Email
Cheers
Dan

M.W. Jones
3rd May 2003, 15:26
Meik and Dianne,

Correction on directions?
I fear that Dan's directions to the Worcester Art Museum/Tuckerman Hall are a little skewed. Easy to do as a native used to the terrain. I recommend checking Mapquest for directions to 55 Salisbury Street,Wocester Ma, the Art Museum. Lincoln St is not really labeleled until you get off 290e at your Rt. 9 exit number 17. Left (Belmont St)off the ramp (light}less than 100 ft another light, continue thru it then take slight right before the next light at the bottom of the hill. This will be labeled Lincoln St MA70 North. Follow down this short ramp down to slight left onto Concord St( light) which melds into Salisbury St(light- Worcester Vocational School on your left and right, Old brick National Guard Armory just ahead on right thru light) Continue around corner seeing Tuckerman Hall on left, cream brick and stone, light, Art Museum on left. Take next left and left into Museum lot or seek parking on this street beside the Museum. Welcome.

The Higgins Armory Museum is across town, maybe Dan can take you before hand. It's pretty spectacular.

Looking foward to meeting you both very much.

Yours in Budo
Matt Jones

Dan Harden
5th May 2003, 05:11
See new thread

Dan