PDA

View Full Version : Glucosomine

Gloi
25th April 2003, 17:42
I want to take a glucosomine/msm type supplement for my creaky old joints but all the ones I have looked at in the shops have a warning "not suitable for people with shellfish allergy". I have a pretty dramatic shellfish allergy so I wondered firstly what was in the stuff to merit the warning and secondly if there were any brands people knew of in the UK which don't contain this that would be suitable to take.
Hoping someone can help..
Alison Fiddler

elder999
25th April 2003, 18:56
Glucosamine is derived from seafood-shellfish. An alternative is chondroitin.

Menker
25th April 2003, 19:17
Glucosamine is usually isolated from chitin — a major component of the exoskeleton of shellfish. Although it is made from the shells of lobsters, shrimps and crabs, sometimes small amounts of meat can cling to the shell during processing. It is this possible small amount of meat that can potentially cause an allergic reaction in some people.

There are some shellfish-free glucosamine preparations out there, but they are more expensive. One is called Regenasure™. I don't know if it is sold in the UK.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on E-Budo. ;)

Gloi
25th April 2003, 20:46
Thanks for that. I'll have to have a look around in the health shops to see if anyone stocks Regenasure or an equivalent.
Do you know what chondroitin is manufactured from?
Cheers!
Alison Fiddler

elder999
25th April 2003, 20:55
Chondroitin is generally derived from bovine or other mammal cartilage and connective tissue in the U.S. However, there are shark-cartilage derived chondroitin sulfates on the market,and,due to
mad-cow disease I don't know what's available in the U.K., so some product research on your part is in order.

...and,not unlike our esteemed librarian friend Mr. Menker, I am a doctor.....just not a medical one, so don't construe my advice as medical advice either.:p