PDA

View Full Version : Konjo and shinai spanking

John Lindsey
26th April 2003, 01:48
See complete article at:
http://www.corpun.com/jpsc7706.htm

Konjo is a disciplinary process intended to instill in young boys a sense of strong spirit. The leading practitioner is Mr. Yuzo Watanabe, director of the Watanabe School in Nirasaki, a small town about two hours northwest of Tokyo. Says Watanabe of the value of his controversial program, "When they find life difficult, the students will not complain. With a strong spirit they will overcome any obstacle."

The Watanabe School operates on a single, ever-present principle: a long bamboo sword called a shinai. When a student answers a question incorrectly, or when he steps out of line in any way, the response is a swift hit on the backside. For many in Japan, the practice makes sense: the Watanabe School is filled with the sons of the nation's wealthiest industrialists.

John Lindsey
26th April 2003, 01:49
According to the Watanabe method, corporal discipline is a necessary educational tool. Swift and demanding punishment teaches "inner power" and strength. Judging from the smiles and mischievous glances, it appears to do no harm. The boys accept the rules of the game: "not getting caught" is as much a challenge here as anywhere.

Mr. Watanabe also accepts the rules. He admits that the hitting and the severe discipline can be "inhuman and foolish." He believes, though, that inner strength and responsibility are not easily taught and that a boy must learn early to accept the authority of a teacher. "This school is the best way to lead the boys," says Watanabe. "And this is something only understood between each boy and myself."

Cody
26th April 2003, 03:12
You will probably think I am a nutcase for thinking this... but I agree to some extend.

Lots of schools and parents have abolished corporal punishments, are the youth better behaved these days?

I remember fear when I was in elementary school, when paddling is a fact of life. But when I went to grade 4, the government passed the legistration against cp. I remember feeling relieved at the time I saw the announcement on the news, and I got away with a lot of things in school. Looking back now, I wish things were different.

I think it's fair to say that wanting to mischieve and test the boundaries is part of growing up. So is playing the dare-devil and risk getting paddled. Knowing there are rules and consequences to my behavior as a child, made me feel safe and secure. Being able to take direct, immediate and dreadful consequence for mistakes I made is also satisfying ... it's almost macho. I was not afraid to make mistake, because at the end I know I will pay for it, and it's all fair. I feel sorry for kids of permissive parents, they don't know what they are missing (:D) Honestly, I think there is nothing more scary than to push the limits and find out there is nothing to stop you.

Now, that said, now that I am grown... I am sure we don't need a shinai in the dojo >_< Any vote? :p

-Cody

koma
28th April 2003, 11:41
[quote:
. I feel sorry for kids of permissive parents, they don't know what they are missing (:D) Honestly, I think there is nothing more scary than to push the limits and find out there is nothing to stop you.

How very, very, true!

L-Fitzgerald
29th April 2003, 11:22
the mark.... in the closing days of WWII Lord Kido, and other high ranking Japanese leaders formulated a plan to shift responsibility for the war away from the Imperial Throne and blame the Militarist leaders of that day. And then have Japan go to ground so to speak for approximately 100 years. Not unlike the passivity demonstrated during the opening years of the Meiji Restoration while Japan became a modernized country strong enough to stand up to the western powers, take control over its own affairs, and then dominate Asia....

The Japanese right has not forgotten, but then neither have the Chinese or Koreans for that matter........ yet, many Japanese still hold back with regard to their true feelings about Gaijin, especially Tenki teki Amerikaijins.....

L Fitzgerald