PDA

View Full Version : Kodachi-jutsu or a short-sword training of some kind

Nathan
11th September 2000, 05:54
I live in toronto, Canada, and though i have searched i have not been able to find a dojo that trains in the art of Kodachi-jutsu. I would really love to train with a kodachi, right now i am taking karate and i have taken Tae Kwon Do and Kendo but so far none have truly satisfied me. plz if you know of any dojo's in my area that teaches Kodachi let me know. thanks

carl mcclafferty
11th September 2000, 11:09
Nathan:
I know that Kendo has Wakizashi kata in their iai, you wanted something different than kata? I am not in the ninpo group, but know Hatsumi Sensei did a bunch of things with a wakizashi when he was out in Tucson with Prather (early 90s). You might ask the Bujinkan or Jinenkan people.

Carl McClafferty

Dan Harden
11th September 2000, 12:34
Nathan

Look Up Kim Taylor. He teaches Iai and has Niten Ichi Ryu as well.
It is sort of an official / un-official school
Well ask him, not me.
He is straight up about what he knows and honest. By all accounts a good guy.
Oh...Niten Ichi Ryu is the school that Musashi founded. They do two sword work.
What you probably want is more in line with Takenouchi ryu the few kata in Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu or Itto ryu. I do not know what the Niten Ichi Ryu looks like but since Kim is in your neck of the woods look him up.

If you are looking for serious knife use. As in the; "close in," "take it to the bone" type work. You would be better off staying away from the classical Japanese stuff and finding a good close quarter combatives teacher, or the Indonesian style stuff.

Dan
here is kims main page address
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/iai.fallswordfest.html

[Edited by Dan Harden on 09-11-2000 at 06:38 AM]

Tony Peters
11th September 2000, 19:23
Takeuchi Ryu does indeed do a great deal of Shortsword work however to my knowledge there are but two people outside Japan who can teach it. One in Seattle area (from what I've heard) and the other is here in Hawaii (that I know for sure). A big portion of the kata's that I've seen so far are short sword related though the Takeuchi Ryu shortsword is smaller than what others use. Wayne Muramoto is the person to ask about this.

Dan Harden
12th September 2000, 03:02
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Peters
[B]Takeuchi Ryu does indeed do a great deal of Shortsword work however to my knowledge there are but two people outside Japan who can teach it.
More appropriatly put, you could say there are but TWO who are "authorized" to teach it.
There are people in the states who have training in certain Koryu, who practice in small groups, in out of the way places. Offering no rank or false pretense. They are what they are. It is what it is. Unfortunetly, in other cases, they may offer false rank. Which is rather disgusting.
The instruction may be terrible to pretty good and will in all cases not contain the full syllibus nor the all important (in my opinion) realtionship to the ryu. So, one may even correctly ask "Why bother then?"

Dan

hyaku
12th September 2000, 03:14
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan Harden
[B]Nathan

Look Up Kim Taylor. He teaches Iai and has Niten Ichi Ryu as well.
It is sort of an official / un-official school
Well ask him, not me.
He is straight up about what he knows and honest. By all accounts a good guy.
Oh...Niten Ichi Ryu is the school that Musashi founded.

Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu has four sets of Kata. In order of advancement they are:

1 Single Long sword

2 Two sword

3 Two Sword

4 Short sword

Quite a lot of work to get through to 4. This is applies to other ryu as the Kodachi forms tend to be the hardest. Which is why we rarely see it.

A bit like, learn to do the basics with a single longsword before you try to use two or a short one!

Hyakutake Colin

Hyoho Niten Ichiryu

carl mcclafferty
12th September 2000, 03:29
Nathan:
all of the Koryu I know about TSKSR, SGR, etc and Gendai arts Ryuseiken, etc have the Wakizashi techniques as advanced waza. It did not sound as if you wanted to wait years, thought maybe the Bujinkan/Jinenkan guys could help sooner. This is no slight towards either, they just seem to be more flexible in their training schedule. Both Manaka and Hatsumi Sensei are accomplished martial artists.

Carl McClafferty

Nathan Scott
12th September 2000, 18:05
Hello Nathan,

You stole my name!!!

Welcome to e-budo,

Tony Peters
13th September 2000, 19:16
Originally posted by Dan Harden
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Peters
[B]Takeuchi Ryu does indeed do a great deal of Shortsword work however to my knowledge there are but two people outside Japan who can teach it.
More appropriatly put, you could say there are but TWO who are "authorized" to teach it.
There are people in the states who have training in certain Koryu, who practice in small groups, in out of the way places. Offering no rank or false pretense. They are what they are. It is what it is. Unfortunetly, in other cases, they may offer false rank. Which is rather disgusting.
The instruction may be terrible to pretty good and will in all cases not contain the full syllibus nor the all important (in my opinion) realtionship to the ryu. So, one may even correctly ask "Why bother then?"

Dan

When I said "Can" I did mean "those who were authorized to teach it." At the risk of bringing up an old thread; when one is is talking about Koryu arts is is better to have a teacher who is well trained and if at all possible authorized to teach what he knows. I was extreamly lucky to stumble into my two Koryu senseis Quentin Chambers for Jodo and Wayne Muramoto for Iaido/jujutsu. Because I certainly didn't go out looking for "koryu" sensei to train under I just found teachers who I enjoyed learning from who happened to be the real deal. The desire to study a Koryu art right now unfortuneatly involes either being in the right place or moving to a place where an instructor lives...most often there isn't one where you live. So you must either move to someplace that has one or move to Japan.

Nathan
17th September 2000, 01:15
Thanks everyone for posting your information and opinions for me. I just finished reading "A Book of Five Rings" and am now even more determined to learn Nito Ichi Ryu or a similar techinique. It jsut so happens that i will have an opportunity to travel to Japan for a while (probably a year) in about 2 years and i think i will take that opportunity to seek out "The real deal" as Peter would put it. Thanks again everyone and message me if you have any info on Nito Ichi Ryu plz

Kendoguy9
17th September 2000, 18:24
go here http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/8187/

they have every sword kata from the ryu posted and described. grab a bokuto and you can figure them out.

gambatte!!!