PDA

View Full Version : Daito ryu & Bukiwaza/Emonodori

PaoloV
25th November 2002, 18:55
I understand some branches of Daito Ryu include weapons training and some don't. For those of you that belong to the latter and train in weapons, are most of you getting it from a Japanese art such as kenjutsu, iaido, or jodo? Or from a non-Japanese art such as eskrima/arnis?

Thanks,
Paolo

Nuutti Kotivuori
27th November 2002, 12:42
I answer here because no-one else has answered this yet for some reason. I know only superficially what is done - someone who is actually doing this stuff could elaborate.

It is my understanding that in many places Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu is trained adjunctly with Ono-ha Itto-ryu kenjutsu. However Ono-ha Itto-ryu trained "within" Daito-ryu aikijujutsu is not the same as the mainline Ono-ha Itto-ryu, but a separate line.

Ono-ha Itto-ryu has a multitude of traditional japanese weapons that are taught. Unarmed defense against these weapons is however taught in Daito-ryu aikijujutsu as well.

I am not aware of any groups who would have something else as weapons training than Ono-ha Itto-ryu.

But please, do not take this as how things exactly are, since I'm just an outside observer with very limited experience.

PaoloV
27th November 2002, 16:27
I myself only recently joined our Daito Ryu group.

I understand the Daito Ryu people under Kondo Katsuyuki's branch and some other branches practice Ono-ha Itto Ryu kenjutsu. But not all Daito Ryu branches. Our group is one of those that do not do Ono-ha Itto Ryu. When we do cover a weapon in class (so far, I've seen rope work and a tiny bit of knife), it's usually from someone's background outside of Daito Ryu.

Just wondering if any other Daito Ryu people have studied or concurrently study a non-Japanese weapon art and if so how that weapon study affected their own Daito Ryu movements. Some folks in our group do a little Filipino kali on the side.

Paolo

Dan Harden
27th November 2002, 19:34
I have found that the linear movements in a classical sword art I do went hand in hand with Daito ryu. But I remain distinctly unimpressed with Japanese knife work (I have seen) as opposed to the more modern forms and would stay away from it. Movements with a knife based on joint swivels, evasions, entering and trapping work well within a DR framework as well.
If you are talking Daito ryu...Daito ryu is not all the same, neither are the people who do or have done it. Adding sword work or not may do little if anything to enhance an adepts abilities. Some of the best in the world do not do sword. Most if not all of the best freestyle fighters in the world have never studied sword.
I happen to love it and have found _tremendous_ relevancy. How YOU may be able to "see and understand" weapons use in a body art (or not) may have more bearing than any other single factor. In other words -not everyone "gets it" regardless of what they do and who they do it with. Any time spent in a dojo with myriad people will prove that out.

Your mileage may vary- ask your teacher
Good luck and have fun
Dan

BigJon
27th November 2002, 19:44
Out of curiosity, does Daito ryu traditionally have it's OWN weapons kata within it anywhere?

Jon Gillespie

Arman
27th November 2002, 21:32
Listed in the oldest densho that we have from Sokaku Takeda are a set of kata called Nito ryu (two sword tech.) - I, however, have not seen these kata, nor do I know much about it. Regardless, DR is almost exclusively a jujutsu/aikijujutsu art form, even if some of the curriculum has a foundation in Ono-ha itto ryu.

Best regards,

Arman Partamian
Daito ryu Study Group (mainline)
Maryland

BigJon
27th November 2002, 21:43
Thanks for the reply! So if I ever see any DR practitioners with spear it must be Ono ha then.
Jon Gillespie

Nathan Scott
1st December 2002, 22:45
[Post deleted by user]

O'Neill
30th April 2003, 17:35
Do any of the DR branches still teach the spear and other weapons, it would be sad to see the buki waza of Sokaku Takeda fade away. That would be a discredit to the leaders of the DR community.

Nathan Scott
26th June 2003, 23:04
[Post deleted by user]

jdostie
26th July 2006, 03:17
I have only just started Daito Ryu training in the last week, but when our sensei gave us a brief introduction, I believe he indicated that the very basis of the system is the sword - or daito. Even the unarmed techniques if I understood correctly don't fall too far from those roots.

Is that different from your understanding?

jdostie
15th August 2006, 18:49
I misunderstood. The name Daito Ryu has nothing to do with the sword. However, the movements, etc. are linked to the use of the sword. In other words, the principles of movement work the same weather holding a weapon or not. Our teacher tells us to think of the weapons as extensions, and he has shown us how some of the movements look both with and without a weapon.

I think that is the basis - if I (hopefully) now understand correctly.