PDA

View Full Version : L-6 and Hira Zukuri

James Williams
1st May 2003, 15:57
Nathan,

As far as I know Howard Clark has only made one Hira zukuri blade in L-6 and I have it. This blade still has niku and was not designed specifically for soft targets. This is evidenced in the cutting video on the www.bugei.com site where the sword is cutting both large targets and bamboo. Big Tony is also cutting with an L-6 however the shape is shinogi zukuri. Both blades were also used to cut even larger diameter bamboo however this cutting is not shown on this particular video clip.

It is the strength of the L-6 that are forged by Howard, with a bainite micro structure, that allows for using ancient shapes that would normally, as in bo hi, compromise the overall strength of the blade. I also have an L-6 that is u no kubi kissaki that has the same exceptional strength. This allows for a lighter faster blade that is still much stronger than those forged in the traditional manner.

The increased strength, and hardness, of these blades make them stiffer and they do feel different when cutting. If you get them crossed up a bit in larger targets they resist bending and will fight you a little bit. Once you get used to the different feel it is not a problem. The up side is that you can really mess up a cut in big and or hard stuff and come out with a straight blade. It is virtually impossible to put a permanent bend in one using it for it's intended purpose as a sword.

I would however be careful using them against blades forged with classical steel in blade on blade practice. While this practice is dangerous, and can damage any blade, the L-6 is particularly hard on other swords. The mune etc. are much harder and evidence a “stickiness” that can really grab the edge of the opposing sword and this can damage the edge severely. If your particular sword style uses blocks with shinogi and mune L-6 is as good as it gets.

I will have the particular swords in question at the San Antonio Sword Show later this month and I believe that Tony is also bringing his. If anyone is interested in checking these blades out this will be an opportunity. We will also be cutting as part of the program so this aspect can also be checked out.

Hope to see you there,

James