PDA

View Full Version : Jeffrey Prather

Brakshow
2nd May 2003, 06:32
Hello,

Anyone heard of this guy? How about his school? I am thinking of starting classes there and have recently run into some fairly shady characters making some claims thay couldn't back up. He sounds like he is on the level, but I was hoping to get some supporting opinions. let me know what you think of this:

http://www.bujinkanusa.com/instructors.htm

And as long as I am here I may as well ask what you all can tell me about the art (Budo Taijutsu). Please compare and contrast with other arts, so far I have taken Shuri Ryu Karate at what turned out to be a McDojo, then took a little Tang Soo Do at an excellent school until I found out he wanted me to sign a contract. So I continue my search hoping this Bujinkan school is the one for me while trying to find information on it.

Thank you,

Brak

Oni
2nd May 2003, 08:44
Brak,

I have never actually trained with Mr. Prather, but he IS on the level. I would recommend checking out his school and seeing how you like it. This will also help answer some of your questions as to what the art is about.

From his website:

We offer a free week of classes with no obligation and we have no contracts.

Can't beat that...

tenchijin2
2nd May 2003, 14:06
You might try asking this question at www.kutaki.org.
THere are many Bujinkan shidoshi over there.

Brakshow
2nd May 2003, 15:43
Thank you both. I will be going to the school tonight to check it out. And I did post at the kutaki.org site.

Thanks!

Brak

shinbushi
2nd May 2003, 16:28
Jeff is a great guy and also ex Special Forces.
I highly recommend training with him.

ShinobiKage
3rd May 2003, 14:39
I've never actually trained with Mr. Prather either, but I do have to agree with Oni, he is legit. He has a video that covers use of taijutsu with modern equipment and weapons set up for modern special forces soldiers. I think it is worth the money. Hope this helps you out a little bit.

Kamiyama
5th May 2003, 08:35
A student had a few tapes of his.
I watched a tape he had.
I returned the tapes after watching 25 min of the first one...
My feelings on his tape... poor.

ok
kamiyama, ralph severe

Moko
7th May 2003, 21:11
Judging a person on a video tape is lunacy. That tape, If it's the same one I have, uses Alex Mordine as an uke. And Boy does he use Mordine. It is an old tape and Jeff's taijutsu has moved on since then. The tape is where he WAS when he made the tape.

My feelings on that advice...Poor.

Your best bet is to go to see him in person and judge for yourself.

Oni
7th May 2003, 21:45
Originally posted by Moko

Your best bet is to go to see him in person and judge for yourself.

This is ALWAYS the best piece advice in my opinion. Ask plenty of questions and ensure it is a place that YOU will want to train for YOUR reasons.

With a free week of classes I don't see how you can lose. Even if you decide it is not the place for you it should be an interesting experience.

When I first decided I wanted to train I checked out about a dozen different schools. I spoke to the instructors, tried out some classes, and did research on what I found. In the end my choice was very plain and I have never regretted it.

Kamiyama
8th May 2003, 04:32
A student had a few tapes of his.
I watched a tape he had.
I returned the tapes after watching 25 min of the first one...
My feelings on his tape... poor.
I would not say this is a way to judge someone's skill or teaching knowledge of any art.
I have over 2000 tapes from different martial artist.
Tapes can't tell you the complete story of anyone's skill.
Photos are even worst.
I agree with Oni and Moko.
But I will not trouble going back and watching JP's tapes again even if I agree.....Poor.

ok
kamiyama, ralph severe

Synik
8th May 2003, 05:39
You wanna see poor? You should see tapes of Ralph Severe demonstrating ukemi skills. It's like watching a turtle do koho tenkai.

Jeff's CQC videos (and I know which ones Ralph has, ones he prolly got from Mike Kelley) were done from a more military perspective, and if you take it in that context, it's pretty damn good. I would say that with Jeff's experience, he certainly brings alot of skill to the table that would be of interest to students training with him. Much unlike an exponent of the Carrollton New Texico Militia and Mini-Mart (now open 24 hours).

-Tony S.

Oni
8th May 2003, 06:18
"Tony S." doesn't quite cut it. You are required to post your full name here at E-Budo. I will not ask again as your posts thus far have been normally less than polite. Now that is going to happen from time to time...but the rest of us put our full real names out there to sink or swim by and I expect those that want to play to do the same.

Any further posts by you in this forum without a full signature will be deleted.

Synik
8th May 2003, 12:58
[i]
Any further posts by you in this forum without a full signature will be deleted. [/B]

Now you're just being caddy. At least 30% of the posts to these forums have members' last names as "Chan", "San", or none at all. 3 posts up from mine from "Brak" - yup, no last name, and look, a new member as well. Perhaps a private message would have been a better route to reinforce this rule.

Tony Stevens

Oni
8th May 2003, 13:13
Tony,

This posting is a result of your first post here in which I also made a comment about your lack of using a full real name. If you are going to start off here in an insulting, attacking manner expect a bit of return attitude if you do not at least follow the other rules ;)

It seems that you have an issue with Ralph Severe from each of your posts thus far...your business really, but if you are going to make it public on this forum you need to at the very least stand behind your name as you do so.

Have to forgive me...more and more I get a bit grumpy when folks come here for what seems to be anonymous trolling.

Synik
8th May 2003, 13:43
Originally posted by Oni
Tony,

This posting is a result of your first post here in which I also made a comment about your lack of using a full real name. If you are going to start off here in an insulting, attacking manner expect a bit of return attitude if you do not at least follow the other rules ;)

It seems that you have an issue with Ralph Severe from each of your posts thus far...your business really, but if you are going to make it public on this forum you need to at the very least stand behind your name as you do so.

Have to forgive me...more and more I get a bit grumpy when folks come here for what seems to be anonymous trolling.

I certainly respect that, it's your rules after all. Moshiwake arimasen deshita.

And in regards to my insults on Ralph - I'm only as caustic as he is. I think it's important for people to come under the realization that when they point the finger at others, there are three more pointing right back at them. I find Ralph to be like an alien, with 1,037 fingers on each hand. So there's alot pointing back at him. If people only knew of the things he has said and done in the past (in regards to his infamous handwritten letters and commentaries at his seminars), they would certainly not be so accepting of him in the Bujinkan. So it's kind of fun poking back, after seeing his posts that are so negative towards others.

Anthony Stevens

PS If anyone has any video footage of Ralph Severe riding a moped, I'll pay top dollar!

Kamiyama
8th May 2003, 21:52
Mike Kelley

I don't know anyone by that name.
If I have met them then please excuse my statement of not knowing you, whom ever you are.

Oni, It seems that you have an issue with Ralph Severe from each of your posts thus far...your business really.

kamiyama, I don't believe this person has ever met me in person or trained with me. And I don't recall his name. And for that matter I don't see him on any list that has been sent any of my tapes. Mainly tapes are made and only go out to my Dojo members. They are copy writed of course.
It is not a big deal for him to say what we wishes because he will not back it up in person or with burben of proof. We ALL have seen these types of immature post before. I don't mind at all.

And for that matter I have seen in hand a few of the tapes of JP. But only watched one for a few seconds as I stated. To really know anything about what I did and didn't watch you would have to be a wizard like me. LOL..riding a moped,

And for the deal with riding a moped.. sure I will send you one ASAP if you send top dollar..of course you are not telling the truth now are you?

kamiyama, ralph severe

Swinger
8th May 2003, 22:11
Originally posted by Kamiyama
It is not a big deal for him to say what we wishes because he will not back it up in person or with burben of proof.

http://194.162.232.87/GB_EN/120/food_and_beverages/drinks/jack_daniels_no_7.jpg

Kamiyama
8th May 2003, 22:53
Now that's funny.. Burden of proof.. LOL.. ooooppppppssssss

kamiyama, ralph severe

Swinger
8th May 2003, 23:10
laugh laugh laugh

pete lohstroh
8th May 2003, 23:14
Once again, a rare opportunity to answer a person's sincere request for useful information is crapped on long distance from Texas.

Oni
9th May 2003, 00:11
I think the answer is pretty clear. Mr. Prather is a legitimate Bujinkan instructor. Whether he is the instructor for you can only be decided by you. Closing this thread before it gets any sillier.