PDA

View Full Version : protein diets / protein rich diets

Rogier
2nd May 2003, 10:43
Does anyone have experience with diets involving lots of protein. My girlfriend is trying to lose weight and working out extra doesn't seem to do a lot...

Rogier
2nd May 2003, 11:20
just to be clear I'm not a diet fan myself.

I still believe in balancing out your food and working out. However she's looking for the quicky solution.

Ermac6
4th May 2003, 05:47
I tried the protein diet the first time I tried to loose weight. I lost about 20 lbs and when I stopped the diet for a month I gained it all back. Its an ok diet, but I wouldn't suggest it. I also heard that if you are on it for more than a few months your kidneys start to fail.

If she wants to do a good diet do the slim fast one. I actually lost 60 lbs in a few months. I havent been on the diet since I went off to boot camp and since I came back and I have maintained my weight.

Brent Bradley Leach

MarieB
4th May 2003, 06:40
when did you go to boot camp? maybe youve maintained the weight b/c of increased physical activity :p

i was just reading in an article that men tend to lose more weight on diets than women, due to less overall body fat. therefore, what works for one person may not work for another.

i lost a significant amount of weight last year when i stopped watching tv, started using the computer, and ate less. what amazes a lot of people is that none of it happened consciously :D

Rogier
4th May 2003, 16:26
slim fast? Is that where u drink the shakes and eat those cereal bars thingies?

MarieB
5th May 2003, 01:13
as for irritability, i will remind you that you were the one with high blood pressure, not me...

as for your friends, some of them have a lot of extra weight on them. beer drinking makes one fat, not thin. my method of weight loss is much more effective than your recommendation of beer drinking.

the second statement was discussed in a previous deleted thread which has nothing to do with the subject...so drop it already...

Ermac6
5th May 2003, 02:25
Rogier,

Yes it is that. 2 shakes a day, one meal a day. The best time to do the meal is at lunch( I lost a TON of my weight in a month when eating at lunch time). The first month she needs to be kind of picky of what she eats with that meal. After that first month of her body getting use to the diet she can start eating more junk food etc on that one meal (actually more food period). I use to pig out that one meal. By the way, she is going to hate the taste of the shake, tell her it is worth it in the end :) .

Brent Bradley Leach

Rogier
6th May 2003, 17:02
thanks for the tips... I'll send her to the supermarket and let her buy the slimfast thing... (maybe I'd better go along and buy myself some chips and chocolate :D )

bobsk
14th May 2003, 08:38
I would have to agree with what everyone else has said. But I'd like to add a bit more. Most of my knowledge is about gaining weight and maintaining muscle mass, but diet I know a bit about. My advice is to break up the meals into 5-6 times per day. Small meals, with a clean source of protein as the focus of the meal. I go through alot of tuna and chicken breasts. Another good idea is to switch such things as mayo and butter/marg and other oils for spices and herbs. Mrs.Dash and jalapeno pepper flakes are great, and spicy food increases your metabolism a bit and makes you feel less hungry sooner. Another thing is to gradually make your meals smaller throughout the day. Breakfast being the most important meal, really really important actually. Your final 2-3 meals should contain mostly green vegetables, such as spinich and especially broccoli, and some small protein, maybe even no protein for your last 1-2 meals, just green veggies. Basically, things like lettuce you can eat untill you are stuffed, they have very little calories and fill you up with no fat,and watermelon too.
30% fat is probably too high. Aim for around 15-25%. 25% being the max you would want. Fats from such foods as flax seed and salmon are good, from hamburgers and chips, not good. Oh, and drink lots of water, constantly.
A super high protein diet with very little carbs is silly. Carbs are the souces of most of our energy needs. Maybe a high protein, low carb diet will work for a few months, but you have to stop and think, how long has it taken you to gain the weight you have. So if you have been gaining weight for a year or so, then why would a person expect to lose it in one month? It doesn't make sense. A reasonable goal is 1-2 pounds a week, and that is if you are exercising and eating right. A very good internet resource is www.bodybuilding.com
Don't let the name scare you, they have info for every kind of athlete as well as lots of info about diet and nutrition. Good luck with your fitness goals, and hopefully your girlfriend accomplishes hers too.

Bob Kipp

yamatodamashii
14th May 2003, 12:35
Most modern diets (at least in America) consist of about 60% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 10% fat. The rationale behind this is psuedoscientific brainwashing sold by people (*cough* *SlimFast* *cough*) who want to sell cheap, high-sugar diet shakes. It goes like this:

"Obviously, eating fat makes you fat. Also, eating fat gives you high cholesterol. Meat has fat; therefore protein is also bad and only carbohydrates are good."
-----
Problem 1: Eating fat does not, in and of itself, make you fat. What makes you fat is a chronic over-production of insulin. This chronic over-production of insulin is caused by a high-carbohydrate (see the first sentence of my post) diet.

Problem 2: Not all cholesterol is bad. In fact, even LDL--the so-called "bad cholesterol"--is vital to life: it's what your cell walls are made of.

Problem 3: Not all fats cause you to increase LDL production. Only saturated fats do.

Problem 4: Not all protein contains fat, let alone saturated fat. From skim milk to tofu to modern protein supplements, one can now have as much protein as one desires without any fat whatsoever.

Problem 5: It is dietary fat that causes your brain to signal your body that you are full and should stop eating.
-----
The original reaction to these problems was the Atkins diet, in which the majority of daily calories are derived from protein, and carbohydrates are reduced to something like 10% of one's daily food. The problem with this is that it causes the body to go into ketosis (not good).

The best solution I have seen is a 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein, 30% fat (preferably all non-saturated) diet. This ration should be maintained meal-per-meal, as opposed to over the course of the day.

Further, don't worry about what the scale says. Use a mirror. Actual body*weight* is basically irrelevant when compared to body composition (percentage of lean bodyweight).