PDA

View Full Version : swordwork and jodo

ulvulv
2nd May 2003, 22:49
It can be a good sign with little activity in the jo-forum. It shows that everyone has excellent teachers and get all their answers in the dojo :D

In jodo, iaido and kendokata there are lots of different swordwork. Do you see huge differences in the basic is handling of the sword in the different arts? Like hasso no kamae. I have been taught one time that the sword has a different angel in the three arts, that kendo is most upright, iaido slightly more back and jodo at 45 degrees. true or false?

SEAN CHEN
3rd May 2003, 02:24
You are quite correct Ulv

SMR Jodo's Hasso no kame is held in such a way (the way I was taught)where the Tsuba is between the right ear and mouth. There are some sword systems I have seen where tsuba is held at the temple or even lower at the jaw level.

The most interesting discussion in SMR one could have in discussing the differences in executing a similar move of a sword technique is via the deliverences of a sword cut from hasso.

Lots of people often take for granted that a cut from hasso involves moving the sword from hasso to above head level at men and then delivering a cut as the norm. This is correct.

Others however have also pointed out that the half second move from hasso to men in delivering a cut could take up too much time..considering all moves should be executed with the most direct manner. This is also correct.

So whats the diff?????

Apparently, in the earlier mention means of execution, uchidachi's action in moving the sword to men signals to shidachi that an in coming cut is coming and he should be prepared to move. Sounds flawed? But its a training method that is safe, especially for beginners to practice their basics. My sensei used to tell me, why train jodo when you dont live to enjoy it if you get hurt or killed in training.

However the latter means of delivering a cut direct from hasso, quite similar to the way say katori Shinto Ryu executes its cut is also correct. It provided the practioner with an insight of a traditional handed down technique reflecting how combat was influenced in the past with the samurai's helmet being worn. Today, less helment and armour, the techniques are shockingly fast..very dangerous even for intermediate practioners to cope with. However, its is prudent to say that one should train both variations to gain an overall grounding in coping with different situations.

Andy Watson
9th May 2003, 14:12
In ZNKR jodo, hasso is the same as ZNKR iaido. I have also seen Fukuoka-style jo(jutsu) with a different hasso to that which we train in in ZNKR jodo.

It should be pointed out that "jodo" is the MA which Shimizu sensei designated FOR the ZNKR. Anything else (including Fukuoka-style jo)really should be called jojutsu.

Or am I wrong?

Mr/Ms Skoss?

Meik Skoss
9th May 2003, 16:45
What you said, Mr. Watson. By the way, would you contact me by primate message, please? Errr... that MUST be a typo. I meant priVate message. (Boo-boos like that drive me ape.) Thanks!

Walker
10th May 2003, 07:26
Originally posted by Meik Skoss
Errr... that MUST be a typo. Freudian Underwear :D

Nashie
10th May 2003, 14:33
quote.
The most interesting discussion in SMR one could have in discussing the differences in executing a similar move of a sword technique is via the deliverences of a sword cut from hasso.

:D
I was taught that depending on what way the sword cuts ie. from hasso direct or through Jodan, dictates what my response is, a jodan cut alows me to block by coming in underneath the sword (kuritskue), while a cut from Hasso being more direct and smaller could rule that response out, but allows such attacks as in monomi from SMR directly to the the top of the wrist.

Meik Skoss
10th May 2003, 15:23
Nashie, you should sign your posts with your full name, per the rules of e-Budo. We like to know who we're talking to.

Your comment is interesting, but not altogether accurate. It does not really matter whether uchidachi cuts from jodan or hasso: it's still possible to apply kuritsuke, kurihanashi, or taiatari. There are a couple of variations for each of these that are taught as people are ready for them. The most basic levels, though, are relatively innocuous techniques; the more "realistic" variants are not good for people (broken bones, etc.), and must be performed with a lot of care.

Dunno if you're training with Lee Ah Loi, or somebody else, but if you talk to Chris Mansfield when he's returned from Japan, he can show you more of what I'm talking about

Nashie
10th May 2003, 16:04
Sorry Meik, forgot to sign my name on all my posts today.

Your comment is interesting, but not altogether accurate. It does not really matter whether uchidachi cuts from jodan or hasso: it's still possible to apply kuritsuke

Sorry again should have written "My first understanding" rather "than I was first taught that depending on how swordsman cuts, dictates my reaction."
And yes I agree it is still possible to apply Kuritsuke Taiatari etc.
just a lot more difficult and more frightening.
I do train with Ah Loi Lee occasionally, and the thing I am going to get in trouble for, is that Chris Mansfield is my Sensei, I am running his dojo while he is in Japan, so I am sure he will be showing me more when he is home in August.
from Alan Nash:rolleyes: