PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Commands

Prince Loeffler
6th May 2003, 04:21
Hello All,

I am looking for japanese command on the following.

1) Move !

2) Kneeling position !

3) Team one take your place !

Any help is highly appreciated ! Thanks in advance !

renfield_kuroda
6th May 2003, 04:44
What's the context? A martial arts tournament? What art? There are defined phrases for most of the known arts that hold tournaments (kendo, judo, etc.)
Who's saying this, and to whom? Coach to students? Judge to participants? Drill Sergeant to recruits?

Without some more context it's tough, and you may end saying entirely the wrong thing.

Regards,
renfield kuroda

Prince Loeffler
6th May 2003, 05:11
Thanks in Advance Renfield,

Basicaly, this would be for a Karate demo team. The person giving the command is the demo team leader who will be in front.

As there 20 members on the team, I found it necessary for the team captain to give commands in japanese.

Chuck.Gordon
6th May 2003, 06:52
Originally posted by Prince Loeffler
Hello All,
I am looking for japanese command on the following.

1) Move !

Hmm. 'Hajime!' is 'begin' or 'commence' ...

2) Kneeling position !

Seiza.

3) Team one take your place !

No clue.

However, unless you have a decent Japanese speaker to provide pronunciation guidance, I'd recommend you simply use English. Otherwise, you could come off looking more like posers than players.

Chuck

hyaku
6th May 2003, 06:59
Team take your place is a bit difficult.

If you want to say line up you can say "Seiritsu"

Do they have to kneel or sit? Seiza is a formal sitting position.

Hyakutake Colin

Prince Loeffler
6th May 2003, 07:44
Thanks for the reponse guys, I think I made up my mind. I am gonna have to take Chuck's advice on this one. Althought we have some of the basics japanese commands, I'll just have to improvise the team's synchronize movement without the difficult commands.

Well, the team captain on the last demo was well versed in japanese, unfotunately, he will be out of town. This leaves us scrambling to put the next one up front who's not versed in japanese at all on the next demo.

Thanks a billion.