PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Japanese reporter kills Jordanian with war souvenir.

John Lindsey
8th May 2003, 04:50
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/030507/kyodo/d7qsnn2g0.html

The Jordanian public prosecutors office is set to indict Hiroki Gomi, a photographer with Japan's Mainichi Shimbun newspaper who has been arrested in connection with the May 1 explosion at Queen Alia International Airport....

Gomi, who had been covering the war in Iraq, was about to fly from Amman airport when a cluster bomblet he brought back from Iraq as "souvenir" exploded during a security check at the airport.

CMM
8th May 2003, 21:22
Geez. I think the bigger crime is that the poor guy's last name is 'gomi.'

don
9th May 2003, 00:55
Originally posted by CMM
Geez. I think the bigger crime is that the poor guy's last name is 'gomi.'

Ha! I had a poor friend when over there who's name was Gary!

Steve Delaney
4th June 2003, 01:24
And here's the latest news on that silly sod.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2953904.stm

A Jordanian military court has sentenced a Japanese photographer to 18 months in jail for an unintentional explosion which killed an airport guard.
Hiroki Gomi, 36, had pleaded not guilty to charges related to the explosion of a cluster bomb - a battlefield souvenir from Iraq - which blew up as it was being examined.

Gomi, a photographer for leading Japanese newspaper Mainichi Shimbun, told the court he was unaware that the device was live.

The presiding judge said he found no evidence that Gomi had criminal intentions when he carried the cluster bomb.

The verdict can be subject to appeal.

The court acquitted Gomi's translator, Jordanian Abdel Salam Helwa, to whom the photographer had given a similar explosive device.

Apology

Gomi was at Jordan's international airport on 1 May, on his way back to Japan, when an X-ray machine detected a metal object in his luggage.

I am not interested if Gomi is jailed or not... I hold no rancour towards him

Abdullah al-Sarhan
victim's brother

As security guard Ali al-Sarhan did a manual search of the photographer's luggage, the cluster bomb exploded.

Sarhan died and three others were wounded.

During the trial, Gomi said he had taken the devices as souvenirs and apologised for the accident.

"I am sorry for the victim and his family, I am sorry for the wounded and I apologise to the Jordanian people," he said.

Mainichi Shimbun also apologised for the incident, and the president of the daily visited Jordan last month to present condolences to the victim's family and King Abdullah.

Gomi's sentence is reported to have been reduced after the security guard's family said they would not pursue the murder charges against him.

"I am not interested if Gomi is jailed or not... I hold no rancour towards him," said the guard's brother, Abdullah.

Gomi had spent two years in Jordan and covered the war in Iraq.

junjo
6th June 2003, 04:51
Fantastic security system they must have at the Jordanian airport. :rolleyes:

renfield_kuroda
9th June 2003, 00:57
Well, the security system did find the bomb!

What I don't get is how you can be a war reporter for two years and not understand that unexploded cluster bombs are dangerous.

Regards,
r e n

Steve Delaney
9th June 2003, 02:12
Simple; Lack of common sense and the fact that he wanted to take something home that was kakoii. Looking at the reporter's picture on BBC news, he doesn't appear to be the brightest lightbulb in the chandelier.

Ron Tisdale
11th June 2003, 19:41
?? you can tell how intelligent someone is by LOOKING at them?

If you say so...

RT

Samurai am I
22nd June 2003, 08:19
If a guy tries to take a cluster bomblet home with him, live or not, through the airlines he's not to bright. That's kinda asking for trouble. Some things are just best left untouched, like explosives.

Mekugi
22nd June 2003, 17:00
"No Reason" Japan.

Freaking stupid, no common sense idiot that should have been killed in the blast instead of that poor security guard. Social Darwanism is being held back.

HOW many times have we gone over this subject in private Steve!! Here it is on the front page....will they never take a hint from us Gaikokujin.

Originally posted by Saitama Steve
Simple; Lack of common sense and the fact that he wanted to take something home that was kakoii. Looking at the reporter's picture on BBC news, he doesn't appear to be the brightest lightbulb in the chandelier.

Mekugi
22nd June 2003, 17:07
Originally posted by Ron Tisdale
?? you can tell how intelligent someone is by LOOKING at them?

If you say so...

RT http://www.the-irregulars.4t.com/images/beetle1.gif

"A picture can say a thousand words"
Can you tell me who the dumbest one in this picture is?