PDA

View Full Version : Japanese words for body parts

Ric Flinn
10th May 2003, 23:10
Could somebody post a list of translations for common parts of the body? I know several, and sure I could look the rest up, but figured maybe somebody else might benefit from a list online. Plus I'm lazy.

Moriki
11th May 2003, 08:48
Hi Ric,
Here`s a list that I have.

EYE= ME
HEAD= ATAMA
EAR= MIMI
NOSE= HANA
TEETH= HA
TONGUE= SHITA
NECK= KUBI
THROAT= NODO
SHOULDER= KATA
CHEST= MUNE / MUNA`ITA
BREAST= MUNE / CHIBUSA
BACK= SENSAKA
LOWER BACK= KOSHI
ARM= UDE
ELBOW= HIJI
WRIST= TEKUBI
HAND= TE
FINGER= YUBI
RIB= ABARA
STOMACH= ONAKA
BUTTOCKS= OSHIRI
ANUS= KOOMON
THIGH= FUTO-MOMO
KNEE= HIZA
SHIN= SUNE
LEG= ASHI
CALF= FUKURAHAGI
ANKLE= ASHIKUBI
FOOT= ASHI
TOE= TSUMASAKI
GENITALS= SEKI
VAGINA= JOSEKI
PENIS= DANSEKI

Hope this helps.
yours
Brian Carpenter
Dojo Cho
GWNBF/KJJR UK KOMORI DOJO
WORLD MATE SHINTO MEMBER

Moriki
11th May 2003, 22:58
Yobina,
Thanks for the corrections. Sorry for the spelling error I had my Chinko in hand thinking of Manko:D

yours
Brian Carpenter
Dojo Cho
WORLD MATE SHINTO MEMBER

renfield_kuroda
12th May 2003, 00:56
Please note that there is one word that you absolutely cannot say on television and/or print in the newspapers, and it is yobina's colloquial word for female anatomy.
Don't underestimate this word; you really can say anything on tv but this one word will at best get you looked at VERY strangely, at worst get your ass beat down.
Remember: the key to Japanese is context and pronunciation, which is why you can say 'kuso' on tv and get away with it, but this one word is a definite NG!

Regards,
renfield kuroda

Daniel Lee
12th May 2003, 01:44
That's for sure. Andrew, you might better delineate those lexical items as being 'vulgar' (read that extremely vulgar) rather than 'colloquial'. As Renfield suggested, they are best left out of your linguistic currency.

hyaku
12th May 2003, 03:54
I would like to add a few yens worth by saying that bad language in Japanese has a different context. To me it has been a little frustrating. Especialy when someone rams your car and all you seem to have in your vocabulary is to call him/her a fool.

A lot of our very imaginative English expressions just do not translate.

If you wanted to tell someone to go ???k themselves you would more likely get a look of puzzlement rather than it have its desired effect as its something one woild have difficulty in doing. You can say it in English too but people think its funny. The general translation in the Japanese text at the bottom of movies for any really bad stuff is just "Kuso".

There are alternative phrases I use but I am not going to let anyone in on those!

I think my most used word is "Segarashika"
(No it does not mean someone likely to play a Sega game)

I get rather ?issed off with unwanted comments sometimes.

The guy next to me keeps complaining that I am "too big". Sometimes you really need to tell people to shut the hell up!

Hyakutake Colin

Moriki
12th May 2003, 07:54
If the words are that vulgur I`m sorry for using them in my post, and hope that they don`t offend to many people. I apologize in advance.

yours
Brian Carpenter
Dojo Cho
WORLD MATE SHINTO MEMBER

Ric Flinn
13th May 2003, 02:45
This reminds me of a funny story. After a seminar a while back, a friend of mine went to dinner/drinks with a group of all-Western students and the Japanese sensei. The sensei has a good but rather unusual sense of humor; when drinks were served he was asked to give a toast, and, being with all Westerners, he raised his glass and said "Chinchin!" and everybody followed. The sensei was embarassed when he remembered my friend could speak Japanese.

Striking Hand
13th May 2003, 02:54
I saw this in todays Japan times:
Link to the full article is below.

"Rising Sun," Michael Crichton's bestselling novel, was one such book.

For those of you who missed this gem, it portrayed Japanese business investment in the U.S. as an insidious and sometimes murderous conspiracy. Crichton angrily rebuffed accusations of racism, but I felt his book was inflammatory and one sided.

The 1993 film starring Sean Connery, Wesley Snipes and Harvey Keitel didn't exactly win rave reviews. Rottentomatoes.com, a film review site, accords this work a remarkably low 0 percent recommendation.

I happened to attend the first preview screening here. Sitting in a theater full of Japanese who were about to watch Japan get bashed in an American film, I felt more than a little uncomfortable.

About 20 minutes or so into the film, Sean Connery visits the research facility of a major Japanese electronics firm based in southern California.

As he walks past an immaculately sculpted garden, a sign bearing the company's name, "Hamaguri Corporation," comes into view.

At this point, giggles began to emerge from the audience, which soon grew into chortles, guffaws, and finally uproarious laughter.

Hamaguri, which is a type of shellfish, is an unlikely name for a corporation: it does happen to be a familiar euphemism for the female reproductive organ.

[URL=http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fl20030513zg.htm[/URL]