PDA

View Full Version : Dojo Kun for kids !

Prince Loeffler
11th May 2003, 18:41
Hi All,

Does anyone have dojo kun for kids ages 3-10 ? Something short as I don't want them try to remember big flowery words.

Thanks in advance !

Mitch Saret
12th May 2003, 20:06
In our kid's classes we have two different "oaths", the basic for every class and the Black Belt Club Creed. Each is 4 lines that can be animated physically if you wish. When a new student joins, they must make an effort to learn the pledge for their white belt.

Student Pledge
I am a martial artist. I train with spirit, honor, integrity,and courage. I train to master myself, not others. I will do my best to honor myself, my family, my instructors, and my dojo, by usung the skills I learn for defensive purposes only.

We also teach the meanings of the words as they learn the pledge.

Black Belt Club Creed
I will develop myself in a positve manner and avoid anything that could reduce my mental growth or physical health.
I will develop my self-discipline in order to bring out the best in myself and others.
I will use common sense before self-defense and never be abusive or offensive.
This is a black belt school. We are dedicated, we are motivated, we are on a quest to be our best.

ends with a kiai.

hope you can use one of them.

Prince Loeffler
13th May 2003, 04:40
This is quite good. In fact I'll model it from yours. Do they recite this after or befoer class ?

I really appreciate this a lot, thank you !

Mitch Saret
26th May 2003, 23:50
I haven't been able to get on for awhile so I apologize for the long time in getting back to you.

We usually recite the pledge before the class. However, if we get a good group in prior to class, we start a "sizzle" time. This is just organized fun drills taking the time up before class formally starts. Sometimes, if it is going well and breaking up the momentum of the drills would be bed...we just go right on through and merge the class and the sizzle time. Then we would do the oath after.

Prince Loeffler
27th May 2003, 04:47
I really appreciate this Mitch. It does help a lot. I trying to design the Dojo Kun in a matter where the youngest member can easy remember and pronounce the pledge.

Some of my three year olds can't barely speak at all or still on the baby talk phase,....But are able to keep up with the class physical activities.

Mitch Saret
31st May 2003, 19:48
If you start with an introductory procedure, highly recommended, You go over it with them as part of the class. I have it printed out and separated by lines. Have them mmorize one line a week. During the intro class you should have the parents on hand so they can see what you are doing...and get them involved.

Prince Loeffler
6th June 2003, 04:59
Originally posted by Kenzo
FOR little guys:

I am happy I am healthy I am wealthy and wise
I feel good about myself
I'm super charged and energized.

Hi Ken,

This is pretty good, Did you create this yourself ? The other post, It sounds familiar..was that a Kenpo pledge ? I remember Bill Ryusaki's team (Hawaian Kenpo Karate) recited this during a demo several years back.