PDA

View Full Version : Looking for gift ideas

TimoS
12th May 2003, 21:31
Hi folks,

hope you can help me out. Our karate sensei will turn 50 next month and we've been trying to think of a nice gift to give to him. Some background info about him: he's a japanese man and has been living here in Finland, teaching karate (and a couple of other arts also) for the last 25 or so years. Since he's been here for such a long time, we've been thinking of buying him a handmade knife. All kinds ideas are more than welcome.

Sochin
12th May 2003, 22:11
Sounds like an excellent idea - I wish my students would buy me a handmade knife from Finland!

gmanry
12th May 2003, 22:33
Could be way off base here, but perhaps giving of weapons to one's senior may not be the best idea. Perhaps he might really like getting something meaningful and non-budo related from his students.

Unless he has a collection or something, then I suppose that would be right up his alley. Maybe he whittles, I certainly don't know.

I know that Hatsumi Sensei (Bujinkan) gets a lot of weapons and budo related things from his students (particularly non-Japanese students), but it has been said he enjoys personal artwork and other things more. Items of warfare may not be the most endearing of gifts, think about it. However, I could be way off base here concerning your instructor. I just thought I would give an alternate perspective.

Prince Loeffler
13th May 2003, 06:29
Why don't you gather some of his favorite or any students and celebrate by taking him to his favorite restaurant in a rented limosine if your budget permits. Present him a plaque of appreciation with from your group. This is one gesture that is sure he will remember for a very long time.

I get presents from my little dragons. But its the personaly written cards that comes along with these present I find the most endearing and priceless.

Hope this helps !:)

RobertW
15th May 2003, 07:03
I agree with the comment on the senior thing. I have had this conundrum with my teacher as well (he is japanese also and 49 to boot). I think taking him out might be the best and safest idea. Somewhere nice with high quality sake.
Although if he has been there 25 years. Can you give us some more background? As in, has he talked about Finnish blades? Does he teach knife fighting?

TimoS
15th May 2003, 07:54
Originally posted by RobertW
Although if he has been there 25 years. Can you give us some more background? As in, has he talked about Finnish blades? Does he teach knife fighting?

Well, let's see now. He teaches karate, iaido and jojutsu/jujutsu. As I understand it, he also used to teach Escrima but not anymore. Don't know why, since I'm fairly new student. He's told us a few times that once when he was visiting Japan, he gave Ikubo sensei, his own teacher, a Finnish knife (which was then used against him in his 5. dan test). I don't think he teaches knife fighting per se (like I said, I'm a relatively new student at his own dojo), other than defending against a knife, but he does require from us that from 2. kyu onwards all knife defences must be tested against a sharp knife. Hmm, other background... Othen than that he seems to be quite interested in old Finnish mythologies, I really don't know much about him personally.

As for taking him out for a good dinner, on other occasions I think that might be an excellent idea, but I don't think it'll work this time. His birthday happens to be during our annual summer camp and I think he'll be too busy then, especially since his own teacher will be the "guest star". It might be possible after that, but then we're already talking about July, which is a traditional Finnish summer holiday month, during which it might be hard for some of our club members (even us who are making the decisions) to come together and celebrate him. Hmm... some more background might be in order: the members of our club are all working for the same company, and I'm one of the board members of that "hobby club". In addition to teaching us and at his own dojo (to which I also belong to), he's teaching regularly at a couple of other dojos around Helsinki area and also occasionally around Europe.

To be quite honest, I don't know if this helps at all :)

Prince Loeffler
15th May 2003, 16:37
Hi Timo,

How about taking him out to dinner before the training camp. Just make it a celebration and restaurants does not have to be the only choice.

or here is another idea....Surprise him by having a group of students cleaning up the dojo inside and outside to the max...i.e add plants, clean mirrors, windows and wax floor . This will surely make him happy.

RobertW
15th May 2003, 21:27
On what you have said what with his interest in Finnish mythology, and his use of your traditional blade I would say it definately is a solid choice!

Osu!

TimoS
16th May 2003, 07:29
Originally posted by Prince Loeffler
or here is another idea....Surprise him by having a group of students cleaning up the dojo inside and outside to the max...i.e add plants, clean mirrors, windows and wax floor . This will surely make him happy.

We already clean it once or twice a day :) The beginning of first sessio and after the end of last session we wipe the floors, take out the trash and occasionally clean the mirrors and at least once a year on last day of the year I understand that there is a really thorough cleaning :)

But I think we'll go with the knife

Markaso
19th May 2003, 16:23
I would do a bit of research. Someone must know his extra intrests. I would buy him something in that field or get him something that would mean a lot to him such as ....... hmmmmm somethin from all his students past and present saying thank you for your teaching. Might take a bit of work but I think that would really make him happy!