PDA

View Full Version : And a sad moment is shared by all..... (another Scotch thread)

Steve Williams
12th May 2003, 22:55
Just finished off a bottle of Laguvalin 16year old......
(it was a duty free bottle, 1 litre and 57%vol :D )

The pleasure of the drink is now marred by the sadness at the bottles passing :(

Gene Williams
12th May 2003, 23:18
I just shed a tear into my glass of cask strength Macallan:cry:

Neil Yamamoto
12th May 2003, 23:24
I propose we all have a wake for the recently departed. Everyone hoist a wee dram and wish the recently departed spirit a safe and uneventful journey through Steve's internal organs and a safe splash down in the big porcelain temple of rest.

Ach, we hardly knew ye! Gone at only 16 years of age.

Joseph Svinth
13th May 2003, 02:59
And in just two nights, too.

Steve Williams
19th May 2003, 00:21
And the "interim bottle" of the moment is Glenfiddich Solera reserve 15yo......

Not too bad :) , but not a patch on the Lagavulin :( ;)

Gene Williams
19th May 2003, 02:17
Lagavulin is still my choice, but I had a Macallan 18 last month that was truly outstanding. I tried a bottle of the cask strength...wild and woolly but not smooth. Is there anything else out there that is close to Lagavulin? Gene

Steve Williams
19th May 2003, 18:42
Personally Laphroag runs a close second (or is that first ;) ) to Laguvalin........

Wait until Neil starts posting, he is the "resident scotch expert" ;) :)

Neil Yamamoto
19th May 2003, 20:50
Laphroig is far more biting than Lagavulin. Lagavulin is less intense and smoother by far, at least for anyone who drinks Islay Scotch.

Most of this comparison has been covered in the past. Do a search in the food and drink forum for scotch or my name and there it be!

But for a quick rundown on readily available Islay malts. Note: I say readily available based on what I can get here in Washington state, which has state run stores. (one of the worst run ill advised bunch of losers in government!) If WA. state has it, it's should be available to you much more easily.

Ardbeg - Beautiful. All the Islay flavor and aroma you would expect, some nice sherry nose and flavor to balance the scotch, but still powerful impact on nose and tastebuds. Bites a bit in the finish, but a powerful smoky, peat aftertaste, hints of iodine. 10 is good with some noticable bite, 17 is fantastic with no bite.

Bowmore - Go with the 17 or the 21 if you want the best they have to offer. The 12 is darn good too. Milder more balanced aroma and nose than the Laphroig or Lagavulin. Nice hints of fruit sweetness in there too. The newer finishes including port and dusk - madeira cask -are interesting, but not to everyone's taste.

Bunnahabhain - Mild but still unmistakable Islay. I really like this one. Less bite but not as much flavor and aroma as other Islay. Easy sipping whisky.

Bruichladdich
The lightest most easily drinkable of Islay scotches. Nice background of honey and grassy notes to go with the Islay iodine and peat. Light smoke in background.

There are others, but these are readily available since they have ties to the major distributors.

If a whisky is too strong in taste or alcohol content, add a splash of hot water. About 1/4 water to scotch. Brings out more aroma and flavor.

PS - If you like McCallan 18, try Abelour, Glenfarclas, Glen Rothes.

Steve Williams
6th July 2003, 17:02
Originally posted by Steve Williams
And the "interim bottle" of the moment is Glenfiddich Solera reserve 15yo......

And I am just emptying the last of that bottle :(

It was not too bad..... a little light on the "peat and smoke" that I like, but it "did the job" very admirably.... :D

Steve Williams
6th July 2003, 17:03
ONce again I am sad at the passing of another bottle...... :(

Just looking forward to the next one :)

adroitjimon
16th July 2003, 06:05
how does Sinatra tie into your single malt experience?
All or nothing at all...