PDA

View Full Version : Sore ribs...

Howard2k
13th May 2003, 18:48
I guess this is the right forum to post this. I'm a bit of a newbie to MA but twice now when I've been punched (bare knuckles) in the chest I've developed a pain that seems to last for a week or so..

I'm not clear how to describe it properly. It wasn't a hard punch but it had some bite in it. It hurt at the time but nothing to cry about.

Anyway, now I'm aware of the pain which feels like it's on top of the ribs. It might must be bruising but they don't look bruised at all.

Can anyone shed any light? Might it be some sort of internal bruising? Or bruising that is just not showing?

Thanks

Joseph Svinth
14th May 2003, 06:03
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the Internet. However, my guess is that the fancy name for what you're describing is STRAIN RIBS INTERCOSTAL CHONDROCOSTAL(JOINT) COSTAL CARTILAGE (NO INJURY TO STERNUM), ICD-9 843.8. In other words, as you suspected, you simply strained the muscle or cartilege of the ribs.

Another possibility is costochondritis, aka Tietze's syndrome. For some descriptions, see

* http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section5/chapter59/59g.htm
* http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/costochondritis.htm

Tietze's syndrome is not much more serious than the intercostal strain, and is treated the same way, namely with avoidance of pain-causing activities (tried blocking?), ice, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, and reassurance.

However, if the condition persists, you should see your family practitioner, as persistence implies something more serious.

joe yang
14th May 2003, 16:18
I dropped my guard once, sparring GM's kid. He hit me in the ribs so hard, I swear the pain got worse as the days passed. A week later,when I couldn't stand it any more, I finally broke down and went for a chest x-ray. I could barely move. I never showed a bruise. I didn't have any broken ribs and man do I have a good guard today. :D

Howard2k
19th May 2003, 01:42
Thanks to both of you. Much better now and I think that diagnosis sounds pretty good.

I'll try harder to block ;)

Shadowronin
19th May 2003, 13:36
I've always found that after a hard session, having a couple of pints of water and hot bath with sea salts really helps pre-empt and soreness/stiffness the next day.

sepai 85
20th May 2003, 01:56
Oh man I have some pretty memorable rib shots myself. Here is one story about my brown belt grading. For this paticuler grading we had to spar against two attackers and I must have gotten hit in the ribs by everything from side kicks to elbows to roundhouse kicks to punches and many more things. The point of the story is I can feel sorry for anyone who takes a good rib/solar plexus shot.

yours in shugyo