PDA

View Full Version : Choki Motobu

Kail
22nd May 2003, 02:04
THis is my first post on my own, so be gentle please.

I've put on order Choki Motobu's "Okinawan Kempo", due to hopefully arive soon. Anyone care to tell me if I'm in for a disappointment or a good book to add to my library? As a Matsubayashi Ryu stylist, I'm interested in the roots of the system and the thoughts of the men that influenced Sensei Nagamine during his early training. Does anyone out have any recommendations for sources on Motobu and his contemporaries? And before it is suggested, "The Essence of Okinawan Karate-Do" already holds a dear place on my shelf, depsite the ware and tare on the book.

book worm
22nd May 2003, 02:34
I havn't read this book yet myself but I hope to. I do recomend the video "The karate of choki motobu" from Tsunami productions.Your local borders store can order it for you, or the web site is www.dragon-tsunami.org.

There is also some info on Motobu on the Hawaii Karate Seinenkai web site.

shisochin#1
27th May 2003, 22:37
I have read this book . It is very good it gives you a different look at some things like blocking with the rear hand and attacking with the lead. It will open your mind of to the stratagy and thinking of Motobu Choki .

You will enjoy it .

Gene Williams
27th May 2003, 22:40
Nagamine's book, "Tales of the Okinawan Masters", has a lot about Motobu as well as everyone else and Motobu's realtionships with them. Gene

CEB
27th May 2003, 22:45
Legend of Choki Motobu (http://uk.geocities.com/sanzinsoo/choki.html)

nytoothfairy
31st May 2003, 15:42
I think you'll be quite satisfied with Pat McCarthy's English translation of Motobu's book, as well as Nagamine's publication, too. In fact, he's very well known for his insightful Japanese to English translations of several original works of the early pioneers including Miyagi Chojun.

Originally posted by Kail
THis is my first post on my own, so be gentle please.

I've put on order Choki Motobu's "Okinawan Kempo", due to hopefully arive soon. Anyone care to tell me if I'm in for a disappointment or a good book to add to my library?