PDA

View Full Version : Dojo Kun in Okinawa

woolston
22nd May 2003, 08:18
Dear all,

Just a thought - do traditional dojo in Okinawa have such a thing as a 'Dojo Kun' or is this a more Japanese invention?

I have just read a very good article on '24 Fighting Chickens' (http://www.24fightingchickens.com/shotokan/mu/dojokun.html) and was wondering if it had a place across other styles.

Respectfully,

Steve Woolston
ENGLAND

TimJurgens
27th May 2003, 15:38
In the most general of statements the era in which Japan incorporated Karate from Okinawa was given to organizing along structure similar to what you find in any military. As such I think it influenced the way that the tradition grew in mainland. I type this with the recent children's day festival that took place in the elementary school across the street in mind. It had all the pomp and ceremony of battalion performing pass in review, replete with marching music and guideons. In mainland the Sensei are more authoratarian than they are in Okinawa, generally speaking. That is true also in businesses where the bucho and sacho are serious authority figures. In Okinawa you get more of a family feeling. As such the lessons in morality are more often taught in soft words and examples than by lining everyone up and shouting out the Dojo Kun in rank and file. I base this experience on direct contact with 5 Okinawan Karate schools and one Aikido School, in comparison with three Aikido Schools in Mainland and one Karate School. It is interesting to note that the differences in attitude go horizontally across organizations. The Aikido system I have trained in and one of the katate schools I was a member of have shcools in both mainland and Okinawa. The attitude was definately more militant in mainland in each case. It is also interesting to note that the Hombu of the Aikido System was in mainland and conversly the Hombu for the Karate System was in Okinawa. On that observation the degree of strictness was not related to the fact that a Hombu or a Shibu were involved but rather the perception of need for all of those straight lines and shouting. Let me close by once again stating that this is just a general observation and hundreds if not thousands of counter points can illuminate the exceptions.

My take on it all, a dojo kun is probably a good thing but if you have to put it in 3 foot letters and get everyone to shout it to get the point across you are probably not living it loud enough for it to be heard in soft voices. Then again some of the students out there are somewhat deaf but that is another long post.

Regards,

Tim Jurgens

TimJurgens
27th May 2003, 16:00
OOPS looks like somehow my browser double posted.

sepai 85
27th May 2003, 19:02
Of course they have the dojo kun in Okinawa. Take the Jundokan for example which is located in Naha it has a dojo kun.

hobbitbob
27th May 2003, 23:45
In the Seibukan dojo where I train, we do the "Funakoshi Five."

TimJurgens
28th May 2003, 17:39
Originally posted by sepai 85
Of course they have the dojo kun in Okinawa. Take the Jundokan for example which is located in Naha it has a dojo kun.

Ben,

I think most have one and it is usually near the front of the Dojo. Have you seen people line up and shout it? In my experience it is usually discussed quietly at some opportune moment. Is that your experience as well?

Regards,

Tim

sepai 85
28th May 2003, 23:53
No
as a matter of fact I have just been told about the dojo kun in Okinawa by my sensei's. But we do have the dojo kun of the jundokan in our dojo we ussually take a few classes a month to talk about it but we do not line up and say it out loud no thank you for your time

yours in shugyo

Prince Loeffler
13th June 2003, 18:48
According to Robin L. Rielly (Author of the book: The Complete Shotokan Karate). The Doju Kun is said to have originated in Okinawa around 1750-1815 from an Okinawan Karate Master, Karate Sukagawa.

Supposively a rules that all karate-ka must live or abide. The JKA (Japan Karate Association) has shotened it to Character, Sincerity, Effort, Etiquette and Self-Control as a guiding maxims.

kenshorin
9th July 2003, 22:36
I know that the Precepts which Shoshin Nagamine has in his book "Essence of Okinawan Karate-do" are also hanging in his dojo. So I guess that is kind of like a dojo kun.