PDA

View Full Version : Aikido in/near Walla Walla?

BC
13th September 2000, 20:01
I have a friend moving to Walla Walla, Washington soon, and he is trying to find an aikido dojo (any style/affiliation) in or near the area. Nothing has shown up on any internet searches. Anyone have any info?

Regards,

George Ledyard
16th September 2000, 18:16
Originally posted by BC
I have a friend moving to Walla Walla, Washington soon, and he is trying to find an aikido dojo (any style/affiliation) in or near the area. Nothing has shown up on any internet searches. Anyone have any info?

Regards,
To my knowledge there isn't any Aikido in Walla Walla. Robert Ferguson Sensei is in Pullman, WA; Larry Bowman Sensei is in Spokane; and Raso Hultgren is over in Missoula, MT. There could be others on that side of the mountains that I am forgetting but I have not met anyone from the Walla Walla.

The only martial arts I am aware of in Walla Walla is James Keating who is a really excellent teacher of knive fighting and has a background in Karate, Kali, and Red Boat Wing Chun. But his work is totally combat oriented and might not appeal to someone looking for Aikido.

BC
22nd September 2000, 15:48
Thank you George. :smilejapa I passed the info on to my friend, and after a fairly exhuastive search and contemplation, I think he's going to try to start an aikido dojo there. He was appreciative of your information, though. He was only aware of Bowman Sensei's dojo.

yamamatsuryu
30th October 2001, 23:37
The Tri-Cities Judo club has just opened up an Aikido section. I confess that I know little about it (It just opened and I haven't the time to research it further), but if your friend is willing to take the time.......

Jared Albrecht
Yamamatsu Ryu

INFINOO
31st October 2001, 02:05
I will second the recommendation for Keating's teaching, video's and Seminar the Riddle of Steel.For Aiki type principles check out his video called "Unarmed and Dangerous". There is a two volume set on for guns and knives, and one for long weapons. Some good Aiki information explained in western terms in those two tapes. Of course his best tapes are the ABC American Blade Craft. These tapes focus on use of the Bowie knife . These particualar set of tapes five in the set IMO is five star material. The best of the best. A must have for anyone interested in blade arts. James Keating also has a e-zine called www.modernknives.com Tell him we sent you his way.
Regards
Gregory Rogalsky
Director of Rogalsky Combatives International
P.S Im a Aikido type and Keatings material appeals to me just fine.:smokin:

the Khazar Kid
3rd November 2001, 18:39
Greg, I couldn't get to "Modern Knives" through the link you posted? I usually get to it through http://www.combattech.com/ , which also has his videos. James Keating also co-moderates the Cane/Stick/Knife forum at www.knifeforums.com/ with Jerry Van Cook. Here's a report on one of Keating's seminars: www.alliancemartialarts.com/comtech.html

Jesse Peters

INFINOO
4th November 2001, 23:37
Jesse Peters: Sorry about the dead link, thanks for the right address. A couple years ago I went to the southern Riddle in New Orleans. It was a three day seminar on the usage of the western Bowie knife and toothpick. Budo western stlye. Are you a fellow Riddler?

Gregory Rogalsky
Director of Rogalsky Combatives International