PDA

View Full Version : apology

jezah81
24th May 2003, 02:01
I just want to apologise for any insult caused. I hope that people can just see my intentions of the question i asked. I have no racist views at all about Japanese people, otherwise i wouldnt be in this forum or practise the Japanese martial arts.
I hope people in this forum can understand that i used aussie jargon, and just as i dont fully comprehend the japanese way of thinking, maybe you guys dont understand the "aussie" way so to speak.

Regards,
Jeremy Hagop

MarieB
25th May 2003, 07:48
Jeremy,

there's a thread in the member's lounge in your honor. take a look here :)

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19296

Joel Simmons
27th May 2003, 12:17
Aloha Jeremy,

I understand what you are trying to say. My own grandparents try to explain the same thing to me when speaking about Asians in general. They are from the "Greatest Generation" as describe in America, and refer to all Asians as: "Japs."

However, like you said in your previous post, you would not be here if you did not have some inkling of appreciation for Japanese arts and culture. So, to refrain from trying to give you a lesson like so many other people have on the various other threads spawned from your original slip-up, my only advice to you is to learn to think from the perspective of the culture from which your chosen art originates. Yes, Aussies have their own way of thinking and efficiently spelling, however...you know...;)

I apologize if this post is rubbing salt in an open wound, yet, I felt a bit compelled to post as I live in Hawaii, which has a larger-than-most Japanese-American population. I have heard the word "Jap" intentionally and inadvertantly spoken several times down here and have seen the reactions of Japanese-Americans in the vicinity. It wasn't friendly.

BTW - Same thing goes for the generalization "Oriental." Oriental can be a carpet or piece of furniture, but not a person (not that you are guilty of using this word, but just FYI for the future).