PDA

View Full Version : supplementary training

wendy ongaro
24th May 2003, 05:30
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources for sports training that they felt was effective and improved their martial arts training. (I am reviewing the Strongfortism).

I've been doing a lit review of what is available. I've just ordered a book by Dr. Maffetone, who is a triathlete and helps train other triathletes. I am awaiting impatiently to review it and see what he recommends for his methods. Otherwise, the only information that I have found that has been useful to my training is the stuff from Stadion publishing- namely Thomas Kurz and his work. His books are somewhat torturous to read- I feel like I'm back in graduate school when I read them- but its the only stuff that has made any sense to my training. Now that I am out of school and established in a REAL JOB, I have been devoting my time to training seriously using his methods, and although I am only 10 weeks into it, I am satisfied with my increase in strength, agility, and endurance on the mat. However, I would still like to learn more.

I find in American literature about training methods (after scanning Amazon, etc.) an overemphasis on BODY BUILDING and POWER LIFTING. Or too much faddish crap i.e. carbo loading, etc. Reading the previous thread about Strongfortism, I am reminded of this challenge as I look for more information. Just as Tyrone discovered, weightlifting for the sole purpose of muscle hypertrophy is counterproductive when we need agility, coordination, speed, and flexibility as well as strength.

Maybe there are some exercise kinesiology texts not regularly available on amazon and medscape that the trainers and physical therapists in our martial arts community know about? Any information would we welcome. thanks.

yamatodamashii
24th May 2003, 09:27
On the internet, go to www.fitnesseducation.com.

For good books, try (in descending order):

1. Hardcore Bodybuilding by Dr. Fred C. Hatfield. This is not about bodybuilding for aesthetic competitions. It is a guide to developing a well-rounded program of weight training and plyometrics as an adjuct to athletic activities. Dr. Hatfield is one of the most respected exercise physiologists in the world, as well as a world-class athlete and co-founder of the ISSA (the above link).

2. Bigger, Faster, Stronger by Greg Sheppard. This book and the next I do not recommend as highly as Dr. Hatfield's book because they are "canned programs"; i.e., they give specific routines that everyone follows. They are both, however, well-rounded for general athletic development.

3. Explosive Power and Strength By Dr. Donald Chu.

I do not recommend aerobic endurance training like triathlons as an adjuct for martial artists--but as always, making exercise part of your lifestyle is more important than what exercise you choose (i.e., do something you enjoy and will stick with).

wendy ongaro
24th May 2003, 13:02
actually, that's funny. I already have Hatfield. I just haven't read it in a long time- I think its in the storage unit. But I agree, it is a good manual. I will check the others out.

The main reason why I selected Maffetone is he is quoted extensively in Kurz's work. I will see if it is useful or not.

Hey, thanks for the leads. wendy

yamatodamashii
24th May 2003, 13:20
Anytime.

Hatfield's Power: A Scientific Approach is also very good, although a bit more specialized. He has quite a few books out, but most of them deal specifically with bodybuilding and powerlifting.