PDA

View Full Version : Shobudo ryu bujitsukai/ Robert Morton & Randy Hutchins

tanaka
13th September 2000, 20:47
I have been studying Aikibujitsu for some now five and a half years. I have been studying Martial Arts for some 28 years, and I have a love for Daito-Ryu Aikibujitsu, the question I have is a system I have been studying for the last few years. It is called Sho Budo Ryu Bujitsu Jujitsu, under a Shihan Randy Hutchins. His teacher was a Kaichio Morton who was taught by Master Shoshu Nakasato.
I would like to know more about the history of this Art and our Founder, Nakasato Sensei is very elusive and tight lipped about his past. Yet, I see many similarities between our Art and Daito-Ryu. Even our crest has it's origins from the Daito-Ryu Crest. The question is simple, is there a link between our art and Daito-Ryu. I have also enjoyed training with a student of Professor Flores from New York. I can say that Daito-Ryu is a painful Art to learn and yet Spiritually I have grown from this Art. The Founder of our Art here in Phila. has taught me to see that Jujitsu is just that, Jujitsu. This Art has grace and beauty and should not be taken likely.
Our system is caled Sho Bushido Ryu
Our School The Sho Bushido Ryu Bujitsu Kai.
If anyone can link Sho Budo to Daito Ryu, contact me me with the proof.
Yours Humbly in the Arts
Sensei Eric G. Alleyne

Nathan Scott
13th September 2000, 22:20
Hello Mr. Alleyne,

Sho Budo Ryu Bujitsu Jujitsu under a Shihan Randy Hutchins. His teacher was a Kaichio Morton who was taught by Master Shoshu Nakasato

Wow, that's a mouth full. When you say "Bujitsu Jujitsu", is this to mean the "truely martial truley flexible", or are the jitsu's the older spelling of jutsu, meaning "martial art of flexible techniques"?

I've never seen this combination of terms before. Is this a Korean style?

Kaichio sounds like perhaps an attempt at "Kaicho", which is the head of a "-kai". If that is the intended meaning, then Mr. Morton would be the headmaster of Sho Budo ryu, having been taught something by Mr. Nakasato. The use of "ryu" after "Budo" doesn't really match in a traditional Japanese sense either, being two different types of things (style vs. tradition).

The crest (mon) used by Daito ryu is that of the Takeda family (ala Takeda Shingen). There are several others that look very similar to this one, but are different.

To be honest, the use of terminology alone in the style you mention has me completely stumped.

Maybe someone else has knowledge of this style. Anything is possible these days as far as attachments to other styles, etc.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Regards,

PS. I stopped by your geocities web page listed in your signature. Just thought I'd let you know that the URL is misspelled, and it took a little hacking to get in. I'd comment on the contents of the page, but my computer kept locking up from the animated .gif's.

Steven Malanosk
8th October 2001, 01:32
My father learned ShobuDo Ryu JuJitsu in Hokkaido Japan. His teacher was N. Tenamura. His training was done during his time in the orient during the Korean War. He returned after active duty, to the orient, as a USO entertainer with my Mother, so as to have more oportunity, to continue training in ShobuDo Ryu.

I myself have been doing the style since 1965.

Morton Kaicho, is a dear friend of mine.

first met him in Okinawa, where he lived on and off for a long time.
We where both in the Marine Corps.
He was there training with Nakasato and McGale Senseis.

I got to know him for real only recently now that we are both out of the Corps, and am in touch with him often.

Our styles, ShobuDo Ryu Jujitsu , "mine", and Sho Budo BuJitsu, "his," are not the same, but I beleive, share some roots. They use different Kanji for different meaning.

I will inform him of this discussion, so as for him to join in if he chooses.

Robert Morton
8th October 2001, 23:27
In reference to the query of Eric Alleyne sensei, I Robert Morton (Kaicho) of Shobudo BuJitsu Kai furnish the following information for clarification.

As a direct student and teacher of Soke Nakasato and Vincent McGale since January 1961, I have tried to find out the history of our Soke and his art. It's true for whatever reasons, Mr. Nakasato is and has been secretive and protective in sharing his past. For the past six years I have been deligent in writing, researching, documenting and organizing what has never been written down concerning this art. Contacting several organizations and in particular, that of the Hombu of Daito-Ryu Aiki Jujutsu, Tokyo and Motobu-Ryu Bujutsu of Okinawa. In all queries, no positive information was provided!

The best source was in March 2000 while visiting my wife's family on Okinawa. During our two week stay, my wife and I handed Soke Nakasato a personal (translated in Japanese) letter asking specific questions of what he learned, by whom and when. As usual he was disturbed by our query and remained defiant to answer! we did however, obtain valuable information caught on mini tape concerning his families past unknown until now. We also took pictures, worked out on video and I was promoted to Shichidan.

As for Randy Hutchins sensei, he was a student of mine from 1982 until he broke away in August 1998. Due to a breakdown in communication and a mistake on my part, he was offered bigger and better opportunities by others. I promoted him to Yondan in August of 1997, he was promoted to Rokudan by a (10th dan) Soke Baronowski in some style of Aiki Jutsu in September 1998.
He then teamed up with a Prof John Fetzer of Goshin Ryu JuJutsu Yudanshakai. Hutchins sensei is recognized only as a Yondan in Shobudo Bujitsu Kai under myself and Master Nakasato!

There is another 7th dan in Michigan taught under Soke Nakasato, McGale and myself of which I broke ties with in 1995 due to differences in our teachings of Shobudo. In order to keep the traditions of Shobudo BuJitsu JuJitsu pure as taught to me, I changed the name of Shobudo to Bushido BuJitsu JuJitsu in order to avoid a long and drawn out dispute or conflict. Upon my return from Okinawa of March 2000, I returned back to my roots of Shobudo as given by it's founder, Shoshu Naskasto. Hutchins sensei has named his art from that of both Shobudo and Bushido BuJitsu JuJitsu.

At present I'm working on a web site to be operational the early part of 2002. On it will be the history (as best we know of it) concerning Nakasato and his art, it's make up and the use of the 16" Tanbo ... unique only to Shobudo as founded by Master Nakasato! This is a strong, down to earth, practical and hard, but yet gentle form of Jutsu. As Soke Nakasato will never open up and McGale sensei is in-active, it's up to me to improve, document and promote this art ... otherwise it will be lost and unforgotten!

The best sourse of information on this subject, art and it's founder is my wife and I for we have exhausted our efforts in both writings and personal conversations. In order not to have distorted, mis-interpreted or re-arranged prior to our web site going on line ... the history, facts and figures will not be discussed or disclosed prior to being operational. I hope this has been beneficial to those wanting to know more about Shobudo and Nakasato and has cleared up some points of concern. The web site for those interested, will disclosed many facts in detail unknown until now.

Respectfully
In Budo,

Robert Morton (Kaicho)
DIRECTOR
SHOBUDO BUJITSU KAI

Brently Keen
9th October 2001, 21:28
Unless further evidence or proof can be shown, I would say that these groups have no legitimate connection with authentic Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu at all. The fact that Nakasato-san is not forthcoming about his background or history is in itself a red flag.

If anyone would like to provide video of instructors of either of these styles, I'm sure that Nathan, myself and the others on this board familiar with authentic aikijujutsu would be glad to examine them and comment about any technical similarities to Daito-ryu or any other Japanese systems with which we might be familiar.

Finally, there aren't any Westerners who are legitimate 6th-10th dans in any authentic Japanese Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu organizations. The Japanese don't even have anyone over 7-8th dan! Any mention of American soke's and/or upper level dan ranks are generally indicators of the dubious self-promoted World Sokeship/Headmasters Council or similar groups. I'm only aware of one legitimate American soke of an authentic classical Japanese martial tradition, who is recognized by any reputable Japanese masters and researchers. Beware folks!

Brently Keen

Arman
9th October 2001, 21:43
I wholeheartedly agree with Brentley. Kondo Sensei, although Menkyo Kaiden in Daito-ryu, is only a 7th dan! From his position as head of the main-line Daito-ryu lineage, and having the entire art transmitted to him by Tokimune Sensei, one would expect that he should be 9th dan! Not so. There is no way anyone associated with the mainline of Daito-ryu has anything above 7th dan.

Beware of self-appointed shihans! :nin:

Sincerely,

Arman Partamian
Daito-ryu Study Group
Baltimore, MD

Steven Malanosk
9th October 2001, 22:26
Gentlemen,

As to my relationship to AiKi,Daito Ryu, or anny other, other than some common technique and principal, ShobuDo Ryu JuJitsu, is not AiKi, and I don’t recall claiming to be.

I saw the name ShobuDo while searching through e-budo, and replied, then passed on the message. I found it strange, to see ShobuDo on the AiKi section anyway.

So fear not, we are NOT ANOTHER group, trying to weasel in on AiKi credits.

I assure you, that we have no ned for this. :)

Thank You,