PDA

View Full Version : Truly a beginner

Brett Liddle
27th May 2003, 16:50
All,

Your pardons in asking, but I AM terribly new to the study of Japanese sword arts....Where does one begin? In a back-woods dojo in Tennessee, I first put on "bogu"(sp?) and was thrust out in a ring with a shinai (and was subsequently "trained on the job", as it were). Military duty took me away from there without really achieving ANY proper training. I know no terms (cannot even tell you the difference between Kendo and Kenjutsu). All I can say is that the few formal things that I did learn hit me like a form of "magic". I've desperately looked to find a bona-fide instructor for years but am completely directionless (due to lack of knowledge). I humbly ask anyone who has the time (and pity) to help me get my feet going in the right direction. I would appreciate any and all assistance.

Brett
SSG, USA

Shorite
27th May 2003, 16:52
The Lord said, "My people perish for a lack of knowledge."

Charles Mahan
27th May 2003, 16:55
It helps to know where you are.

Kennesten
27th May 2003, 17:06
Hello, Brett. One of our forumites has created a very nice introductory FAQ for the Japanese sword arts -- you can search for it on the internet, or perhaps he will post a link.

Nicholas Lauridsen

Brett Liddle
27th May 2003, 17:43
Pardons again....

I am currently stationed near Detroit, Michigan, but will ETS in April 2004 (enroute to Greenville, SC).....Thanks for the help - I am truly interested in finding a direction. Perhaps, someone could also explain the relevance of Shorite's reply as I am new to the board and coming from a position of ignorance. My thanks.

Brett

gendzwil
27th May 2003, 19:36
Japanese Sword Arts FAQ: www.kendo-sask.com/swordfaq.htm
US Kendo Dojo by state: http://www.kendo-usa.org/statedojolist.htm

Soulend
27th May 2003, 20:09
Originally posted by Brett Liddle
Perhaps, someone could also explain the relevance of Shorite's reply as I am new to the board and coming from a position of ignorance.

Beats me, although he seems to enjoy quoting a version of Hosea 4:6 and repeatedly fails to comply with rule #1 by signing his full name at the end of his posts.

Wish I could help Mr. Liddle. I lived in Greenville for about 9 years but I don't know of any kendo dojo there.

gendzwil
27th May 2003, 21:01
Well there's kendo in Detroit for sure. If he likes it and wants to continue while in Greenville, probably the Charlotte club is closest (1 hr 40 min according to mapquest).

KendoShiai
27th May 2003, 21:29
Well I happen to know there is Kendo in Raleigh and I know that Dr. Parker Sensei is up that away some where. Durham sound right? I can put you in touch with both if you like. Just send me an e-mail at KendoShiai@aol.com and I will forward your mail to both.

gendzwil
27th May 2003, 23:09
Raleigh's over 4 hours away. There's kendo in SC in Charleston but that's over 3 hours away. Charlotte's probably his best bet.

Brett Liddle
28th May 2003, 14:43
All,

Thanks for your helpful replies....especially for the "swordsfaqs" link (it's great!). I think that Charlotte will be just fine for me (guess I'll start reading a little before I move). Thanks again!

Brett Liddle

allan
4th June 2003, 17:24
A few more suggestions if I may...

As far as information is concerned here are a few places to look:

www.koryu.com

www.furyu.com

Any of the three books edited by Diane Skoss (find these and other books at koryu.com).

Either of the two books written by Ellis Amdur, but especially OLD SCHOOL (look on www.ellisamdur.com).

Any book by Dave Lowry (look on koryu.com).

Best of luck,

Charlie Kondek
4th June 2003, 17:55
Brett,

Hi, pal! I'm in Michigan, too, and would be eager to help while we still have you here in the Great Lakes state. I can get you directions to the Detroit dojo or any other dojo in the state (I think you're probably closest to Detroit but cannot say with more info). That way, you can see and/or participate in kendo and/or iaido practice. Your reading will help you learn more about kenjutsu and other sword styles.

My e-mail:

charliekondek@yahoo.com