PDA

View Full Version : Competitiveness

CKohalyk
28th May 2003, 14:07
Got this from a friend who works at an economic firm in London and was an expat with me here in Kyoto for a couple of years:

Ok
dunno if you guys got this in Japan you prob already heard it but the World Competitiveness Yearbook 2003 has just been published. This basically ranks countries on their.... yes, you guessed it competitiveness.

Based on 321 criteria which are then grouped into four categories; economic performance, government efficiency, business efficiency and infrastructure the International Institute for Management Development (an EU business skool) formulates the global league table. check out the site at www01.imd.ch/wcy/

So where does our favourite country come. Out of the G7 Japan weighs in at no 6, better luck next year Italy! On the global rankings it is no 11; pipped to the number 10 post (admittedly very narrowly) by..... Thailand but definitely trounced by Malaysia.

OK this is where i started laughing. Criteria breakdown.
Economic performance 14th, understandable seeing as most of developed world had a very shite year last year.

Infrastructure Japan is no 5 (Canada beat Japan here by the way), not bad considering all the usual suspects are up there Germany etc but when you think about the ridiculous level of government spending, the fact that you pretty much fall over some white elephant project on your way out to grab a can of refreshing Qoo then its a bit lame.

Not quite as lame as the other 2 categories though....
Government efficiency..... 17th. This means that Japanese government is an even lamer f*** around than the governments of Colombia, Mexico and the municipal government of Sao Paolo!!!

But even lamer is Japanese business at number 21, making them even more clueless than those capitalist giants in India, Turkey, Brazil and Colombia. Anyway, sure you didn't need an EU business skool to tell you this but perhaps forward this link on to all Japanese CEO, politicians and bureaucrats.... in triplicate with a special hanko seal.

gmellis
28th May 2003, 15:07
That's why I plan to get out of business translation and retrain myself back in the States or Canada in a few years. It will take a decade or two for Japan to get its head out of its ass, and by that time, other countries will be even further ahead of it. Too much retardation and too little time. Wish I'd studied Chinese in college.
;)

Troll Basher
2nd June 2003, 00:15
Originally posted by gmellis
Wish I'd studied Chinese in college.
;)

I studied Chinese in College and look at me..........sad isn't it.;)

gmellis
2nd June 2003, 01:24
Rober <spoken in snooty French>! Where ya been?!:wave: What a minute, how was it you studied Chinese and went to China and ended up in Japan again? Yuo may have told me at one of the now defunct Tokyo Chubbliners drinkups:toast: , but I must have forgotten, or never logged to begin with. Go figure.

Troll Basher
2nd June 2003, 07:00
Originally posted by gmellis
Rober <spoken in snooty French>! Where ya been?!:wave: What a minute, how was it you studied Chinese and went to China and ended up in Japan again? Yuo may have told me at one of the now defunct Tokyo Chubbliners drinkups:toast: , but I must have forgotten, or never logged to begin with. Go figure.

Glegu, <strong salaryman accent>

It's a long and twisted story.......I will tell you some other time. You going to the "Chub" this coming weekend?
Some folks have been talkin' about a wee ge together......