PDA

View Full Version : DEFTONES Singer Slams SUMMER SANITARIUM Tourmates

John Lindsey
30th May 2003, 04:53
DEFTONES Singer Slams SUMMER SANITARIUM Tourmates, KORN Frontman - May 29, 2003

DEFTONES frontman Chino Moreno spoke to Revolver magazine about the group's stint on the upcoming Summer Sanitarium trek. "A big problem for me was opening for LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK, two bands that wouldn't exist if it weren't for me, straight up!" the singer is quoted as saying in the magazine's August 2003 issue. "But in the end I'm seriously energized and I'm not going out there to make friends and kick it."

Regarding the tour's headliners, Moreno said, "METALLICA have a vast catalog. But live? Motherfarkers just stand there and play. We're gonna rock out their shoot. We're gonna blow that motherfarker up."

In the same interview, Chino talked about DEFTONES' lyrical approach and took an opportunity to slam KORN frontman Jonathan Davis, saying that "As [KORN] go on, it's the same things — bad childhoods and mean moms. It gets old after awhile. How old is Jonathan? Thirty years old? How long has it been since he lived with his parents? Try to go somewhere else. If you're genuine and write about whatever is drawing the emotion now, you can't be fudgeed with."

-------------

Ok, I got tickets to the Houston show. I am not sure if I have heard much Deftones, so can someone tell me what their best known songs are? Is their new CD any good?

About the new Metallica, I have heard a few songs on the radio this week, and they did not exactly knock my socks off. Maybe I just have to get used to them...

monkeyboy_ssj
30th May 2003, 10:50
Back To School (Mini Maggot) is probably one of my favorite songs of theres but to be honest they are nothing special, good but the same as Korn and the other metal bands.

If you feel like getting and album i would get White Horse, it's alright. It sounds to me that he is just trying to stir ;)

I'm going to see the chili pepers, the foo fighters and loads of others at the V festival later this year ^_^.

Cheers

Heli
30th May 2003, 11:21
As a whole, I would say White Pony was - and is - full of songs that should be listened to many times. Deftones usually has gotten better and better after every album, and I really like White Pony. The new CD is a good one, too.

Chino Moreno's voice is pretty interesting to listen to. His lyrics, too, are interesting most of the time. Try listening to "Digital Bath", "Passenger" and "Change (In The House Of Flies)". From the new CD, well, listen it straight through. It's awesome.

As for what he said... Nobody's ever told anyone to like their tour mates.

And for the record, John, I'm jealous. You get to see the show and I'm stuck here in Finland with a bunch of polar bears :cry:

monkeyboy_ssj
30th May 2003, 11:22
White Pony! that's it! not White Horse, thats the pub next door to my work...

sorry!

Mike Williams
30th May 2003, 12:00
Priorities - eh, mate?

:beer:

Cheers,

Mike

monkeyboy_ssj
30th May 2003, 12:12
Always the first thing on my mind :D

Cheers!

Aozora
30th May 2003, 15:57
Has Moreno ever been to a Metallica concert? Did he at all hear about Hetfield being injured by pyros several years ago?

Please. I mean, I like the Deftones and frankly I agree with his assessment about Korn and couldn't give a rat's ass about Limp Bizkit, but c'mon!

Then again, if they didn't have king-sized egos, they wouldn't be rock stars, I guess.

sean_stonehart
30th May 2003, 16:26
But that's the kicker... Moreno isn't a rock star... Hetfield is.

RDeppe
30th May 2003, 18:19
Deftones rock, but this new single 'Minerva' I'm not to sure about (it takes the awesome sound they put together on White Pony a little too mainstream, give me 'My Own Summer' or '7 Words').

Korn's first album is killer-- but they've been cashing in ever since (Peachy is a little different, but...)

Nothing about Mudvayne?

anyway, back to work.

A. M. Jauregui
10th August 2003, 09:01
Just came back from the August 9, 2003 Sanitarium concert in Los Angeles. I have to say that the Deftones were vastly more enjoyable then Metallica. Vastly better even though the people in the next "box" were providing me and everyone within 10 feet marijuana smoke.

Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were the best of the bunch however.

ScottUK
10th August 2003, 20:27
Chino Moreno's voice is pretty interesting to listen to. His lyrics, too, are interesting most of the time. Try listening to "Digital Bath", "Passenger" and "Change (In The House Of Flies)".[/B]Digital Bath - excellent, but slightly disturbing lyrics.

Change - watch the sex scene in 'Queen of the Damned' to appreciate this song. :D

Knife Party - reminiscent of Pink Floyd's 'Great Gig in the Sky' in parts.

Passenger? I thought Maynard from Tool guest sang this one?

Best song? Definitely 'Passenger'. Wow...

TenguAteMyPuppy
10th August 2003, 21:21
Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park should not, and never should have, existed. So, I don't have a clue in hell where the Deftones want to take responsibility for their creation, much less open for them, or even play the same concert as them, but whatever.

Metallica should just be quietly euthanized, and their last 2 or 3 albums destroyed, along with any work that may currently be in production. It's for their own good. Honestly. We can even say they all died of cancer, or AIDS, or cancerous AIDS, or something (except Lars. We'll add genital herpes to his list, because the SOB has it coming). This way, everyone will feel sorry for them, and we can attribute those earlier mentioned last few albums to a horrible disease. Pretty clever, eh?

larsen_huw
11th August 2003, 09:43
Another vote for Back to School and the White Pony album here.

Personally i'd much rather see a proper rock band live ... Aerosmith or (shame they're not still together) Guns'n'Roses.

TenguAteMyPuppy
11th August 2003, 10:24
Perhaps. I think the age of good music is over, until someone can come up with some new genre. We could be waiting a while.

In other news, Audioslave was a terrible, terrible idea.

Take note, the following logic is proven flawed:

"Well Soundgarden is great, and Rage Against the Machine is great. Why... if we put them together... they'll be amazing!"

I just wanted to share that because my initial disappointment with said band almost had me in tears. When I first heard the leaked demos, I punched a (fine looking, might I add) hole in my wall.

ScottUK
11th August 2003, 10:46
God, I hated Cornell's voice until I heard 'Hunger Strike' by 'Temple of the Dog'. Soundgarden - amazing (all albums 'cept the last one) and Rage? Started good but...

TenguAteMyPuppy
11th August 2003, 11:28
Rage was great... until they did the cover album known as "Renegades" which, in one very strong aspect, sucked immensely. I patiently await Mr. De La Rocha's independent work. I hear he's working with some good names. DJ Shadow and such. I heard one new song already, from him. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was a HELL of a lot better than what Audioslave is excreting onto the musical carpet lately.