PDA

View Full Version : translation please

greenghost
1st June 2003, 14:46
SUEKOTO HONDACHI could some one please help with the translation of this title for a katana.
thank you,bruce beckwith

Ford Hallam
2nd June 2003, 01:38
Hi Bruce,

Here`s my interpretation of "Suekoto hondachi". Suekoto refers to the period, the koto period being 987-1596 ( exact dates sometimes vary, but that`s academics for you ) the prefix "sue" generally denotes the latter part of the Muromachi period ( Muromachi lasted from 1392 until 1573 ). So Suekoto would appear to refer to a sword dating from sometime before 1573, perhaps as early as 1500.
You wrote "hondachi",
could you perhaps mean handachi? if so this is a type of mounting rather than a blade type. The style is actually a mixture of tachi and uchigatana mounts. Typically, a plate tsuba is used rather than the shitogi tsuba usually found on tachi and the hangers (or ashi-kanamono ) found on tachi are replaced by the kurikata and sageo of the uchikatana ( or katana )mounting.
On the other hand "hon" could mean genuine or original (depending on the kanji used)and "dachi" ( or tachi ) can be read as a generic term for sword ( as opposed to the style of mounting refered to earlier ).
Hope this sheds some light on your query.
Regards,
Ford Hallam

greenghost
2nd June 2003, 04:18
ford,thank you for your reply.the site i found this at is, http://www.thaitsukinihonto.com/ ,in the sword section ktn4 i am thinking of purchasing one and want to know as much as i can.once again thank you for your reply
bruce beckwith

Ford Hallam
2nd June 2003, 10:30
Hi again, Bruce

Just had a peek at the sword you`re thinking about buying.
Clearly this is not an old blade, the use of the term "suekoto" is obviously a marketing ploy to imply some degree of authenticity.
Incidentally, the prefix "sue" is usually seen as a qualifier when talking about particular schools of the gokaden ( the 5 main, original traditions of sword making ) ie. suebizen or suesoshu, etc.
As to the quality, well you get what you pay for, I guess.
Don`t be under any misapprehension though, this does not constitute a genuine Japanese sword. Despite the claims of the vendors. A more accurate description would be that it is a training tool which approximates the actual shape of the real thing. The tsuba are definately not made by the traditional method and neither are the braids used to wrap the hilt handwoven. If they were they would possibly cost as much as the sword in question.

This all said I can certainly understand your desire to obtain a sword and the real thing is very expensive. I think it might be an idea to ask for some advice from other members of this forum with regard to the various training swords available. Be aware though that what you are looking at are at best well made copies. Albeit with varying degrees of skill and the use of some traditionally derived processes. I hope this does`nt ruffle too many feathers but I think it`s important not to lose sight of the sublime achievements of traditional Japanese artists in this field, both in the past and present day.

Japanese Swords are quite rightly revered as important cultural artifacts, a serious( and by definition lengthy) study of the subject will reveal the remarkable complexity and profound subtleties of these iconic weapons.

Regards, and good luck
Ford