PDA

View Full Version : Hitori-geiko (solo training)

Pete Knox
1st June 2003, 15:03
Hello All:

I have an opportunity to study Daito-Ryu with a gentleman here in NJ. Having studied some Karate-Do before, I understand the importance of frequent training - both in and out of the dojo. As I will only be able to attend classes twice, or at most, thrice, a week. I'll have to do some training at home. My understanding is that Daito-Ryu is comprised mainly of joint locks, throws, and immobilizations. All of these would be easy to practice with a partner in the dojo, but what about by yourself, and without mats? In what manner do AJJ practitioners conduct solo home practice? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Pete Knox

rickfine
1st June 2003, 18:02
Pete,

One possibility is to perform the Daito-ryu techniques as individual kata, just like in karate. You can also practice falling from a seated or kneeling position, for instance, without a mat.

Having said all that, ultimately the best person to ask is your prospective instructor in New Jersey. He can provide specific instructions for training at home in a way that comports with his teaching method at the dojo.

sepai 85
21st July 2003, 13:52
nage waza-you can do in the air
konsetsu waza-you can do it the air
ukemi waza-you should be training on diffrent surfaces anyways
shime waza- practice on a pillow or something

yours in budo

John Connolly
21st July 2003, 16:15
Hullo Pete,

I am also in a similar situation, but I get to train (with partners) even less in Aikijujutsu (once per week), although I get to try out Aiki methods informally with a Systema group from time to time as well. Coming from a background in Hapkido, I already have a pretty in-depth understanding of joint lock, immobilization, and throwing techniques, but I have, of course, had to radically alter my methods to adapt to learning the Aikijujutsu versions and their applications. I have found that one can "shadowbox" joint locks. Focus on exact motions in class, and repeat them on your "imaginary friend" after class. Understanding the motion, and repetition, are the keys to retention w/ joint locks/immobilizations. Throws can be shadowboxed to some extent as well.

Ukemi, if you haven't practiced to a substantial ability in your Karate-Do Ryu, is easily practiced on a lawn, like in the park. That should be enough spring to practice breakfalls and rolls. Just don't wear a white gi!

What I have found to be the most important solo practice is stepping, focusing on proper weight distribution, and maintaining proper structure. This requires TONS of repetition, but it is vital to developing good technique. If stepping, weight distribution, and structure aren't correct, it will be really difficult to pull off joint locks, mobilizations, and throws. Without proper structure and motion/power development, the 'techniques' will be much more Jujutsu and a lot less Aiki.

Hope that is helpful...

INFINOO
21st July 2003, 19:39
Several years ago I had a student weld up a "Steel fighter"tm. Basicaly its a eight inch diameter 1/4 inch thick by six foot metal tube welded to large spring and that to a metal base. There is a coller that slips over the top that supports the arms. The arms have springs at the elbow. And since the arm coller can slide around the metal tube base it makes it so that your steel fighter can be twisted pushed and pulled. With some imagination and some hands on training a fair bit of realism in joint lock destuction/lock can be trained. Not to mention the steel fighter is an excellent platform for knife/stick work. The whole unit is covered in foam and gaffer tape. Its not perfect and I have plans to construct the third generation in the near futer. But as it stands its pretty darn good.

Another excellent training tool for aiki and many other combative art for that matter is the steel cross. Again, start find a welder:D . Start with 1/4 inch tubes about 12 inches long. Weld them so that they form a + sign. Drill a hole in one end (the top) and make a metal ring so you can hang it from a beam or tree with a rope or belt. I like the center of the cross about eye level with my knees slightly bent. Again, cover with foam and gaffer(duct) tape. I like to really padd up the ends to that they look like stumps. With this device many empty handed skills can be trained from joint destruction/lock to striking and grappling as well as weapons.
The feed back from my students is that have made/bought these training tools has been very good. Much better than swinging your arms in the air. And the steel fighter and the steel cross never complain and are always there(in my back yard) to train day or night.

Regards

A. M. Jauregui
22nd July 2003, 05:00
There always seems to be someone around when I want to train but at times when alone I do the following:

* Mentally replay previous training (what went right and what went wrong).
* Sketching techniques or sequences (little more then stick figures but helpful nonetheless).
* Going through the motions of techniques (in a shadow boxing like manner as mentioned above)
* Suburi (quite a few cuts are directly beneficial to techniques...)
* Shikko (abstruse [and blah] but it is good for development of various things...)

MarkF
23rd July 2003, 11:30
Most who practice Kodokan Judo are pretty good at solo practice. If you go through a book on the basics, you will find some throws on which solo practice is recommended. A type of uchi komi, practicing to off-balance, improve foot-work, IE, tsukuri and tai sabaki is even recommended. Ukemi has all ready been mentioned, but there is much you can do on your own, as most basics of any sort of grappling (even when limited to tachi-waza and falling) should give you plenty to do outside the dojo.

Of course, if you have a little brother or sister...

Mark

szczepan
17th May 2004, 00:44
I have some historical question about solo kata.
Does it existe and if yes, which branch use it? Was S.Takeda using this method of teaching?
As example od solo kata I'd give Yoshinkan aikido, they largely use solo kata.

THanX !!! :D

Nathan Scott
17th May 2004, 05:23
[Post deleted by user]

Nathan Scott
17th May 2004, 07:42
[Post deleted by user]

szczepan
17th May 2004, 22:34
Yes, I am interested about solo person movement drills. Kata - very confusing term! :o
thank you!

Richard Elias
17th May 2004, 23:13
We're not Daito ryu, but I'll mention this since we are related, and an Aikijujutsu system.

We have in our system two very long solo kata that involve both striking and throwing techniques. The bunkei of the kata corrolate to the basic techniques of the system. We also have long solo kata for sword, naginata, and jo.

chrismoses
18th May 2004, 00:13
Originally posted by Richard Elias
We have in our system two very long solo kata that involve both striking and throwing techniques. The bunkei of the kata corrolate to the basic techniques of the system. We also have long solo kata for sword, naginata, and jo.

A little shakuhachi and you have the makings for some killer kenbu...

:cool:

Shison
18th May 2004, 03:05
That sounds interesting... :D

don
18th May 2004, 19:18
Originally posted by chrismoses

:cool:

SHAKUHACHI...

"solo" kata?!

Man, you'd have to be some kind of contortionist!

;p

Shison
19th May 2004, 05:15
Well, I suppose...

You could tie your obi super-duper tight, and use your right hand exclulsively for drawing/cutting/resheathing; then use your left had exclusively for playing the shakuhachi, if you rest the end on your shoulder and twist your arm in a uncomfortable position to reach the holes...

Better than I can do :D

<--Wishes he knew how to play the shakuhachi :)

<--Wishes he knew Kenbu :)

<--Will be content making beer :beer: