PDA

View Full Version : Could it be we're all gendai?

Gil Gillespie
18th June 2000, 03:39
At this point in time there is one topic in Gendai Budo with 13 replies. Simultaneously there are 16 topics in general Koryu with 322 posts. Yet when last I looked we were 6 months into the year 2000, conversing with each other across the planet on the miracle of the internet, and dealing with decidedly un-koryu realities like cell phones, high performance automobiles and jet travel to Japan.

I train in Aikido, definitely gendai, and MJER Iaijutsu, most avowedly koryu. I find them not at all exclusive, but mutually reinforcing. I marvel at the living breathing evolving entity of Aikido as expressed and disseminated by Mitsugi Saotome Shihan. I also cherish the traditional introspective atmosphere of Iai katas as preserved and passed on by Miura Takeyuki Hanshi in Osaka.

Ueshiba Morihei, reverred as O-Sensei, propelled his art into modern times by design. He intended Aikido to be gendai. A budo mystic by nature, his art baffled even his inner circle. It seems he never taught specific technique. He demonstrated his art accompanied by abstruse religio-poetic ramblings and his disciples brought their varied interpretations into the budo arena defined by when they branched off from the Aikido tree.

As O-Sensei's inner circle dwindles to a precious handful, his gendai art becomes increasingly steeped in tradition. At the same time, the koryu arts are evolving in the hands of one grandmaster to another, sometimes from one seminar to another! I questioned this, and was reassured that this refinement in no way diminishes the traditional value of koryu.

An art that no longer evolves and refines is not koryu; it is a fossil---it is dead. Koryu implies a veneration and preservation of the traditional arts and their philosophies (oooo dangerous gendai term), a seemingly inconsistent infusion of the value of feudal techniques into modern life. For a resolution of this inconsistency far beyond my meager resources read Shimabukuro Sensei's MJERI manual: "Flashing Steel." (Among other fine koryu volumes,of course.)

As an illustration of a koryu art's modern refinement, MJER Iaijutsu has recently dropped the Kendo Federation Katas from its curriculum and reintroduced an emphasis on tameshigiri cutting for its shodan requirements.

As a student of MJER Iaijutsu and Muso Shinden Ryu Jyodo, I have found a rewarding koryu infusion into my 21st century life. This training, as with all budo training, is ultimately about the moment, the NOW of it. It's not about future rewards or ranks; it's about the uplifting of the human spirit one gains from the study of an art that by definition can never have a modern combat application.

So stretching things as such, could it be we're all gendai? I place my head on the block. Choose your weapon(s) and have a go.

Just attack joyfully!

MarkF
18th June 2000, 07:55
Hey, Gil,
Take your head of the block because you won't get an argument from me. Because you pose questions and a position, is how these forums grow, and I am sure the judo thread will, as well, if the same people who participated before join the fray. It was mcu like this when I first signed on to Ebudo last August or September, and I can remember the one active thread. It was concerning ukemi and a manner of teaching judo which doesn't include ukemi as it is understood that after being instructe in it, it should not be necessary to practice. It didn't make sense to me then.

Judo is one of those things which people in MA do not like to discuss, being afraid to insult by calling it a sport (I have no problem with that. I like the term used by the current CEO of the USJI, the umbrella organization for the USJF and the USJA, "Combative Sport"), or being involved in something which is out of the realm of budo all together, yet even those I know personally who were comtestants still use the word budo to describe it as being the most fair. If pushed into a corner, they will say it is a martial art, especially today, because it carries a lot of tradition with it, and most of judo has taken some technique and modernized it so to save jujutsu from itself. If not for judo, then jujutsu in all its forms would have to evolve into soemthing more modern if it doesn't want to die a miserable death. It is full of politics, almost since inception, but many ryu practitioners came to the Kodokan to continue what they used to do before the meiji restoration. In other words, judo was full of all kinds of jujutsu. Kano did not want to keep anyone all to himself so off went many to Ueshiba's aikibudo, including Tomiki Kenji. Kano was friends with Takeda Sokaku so it isn't at all surprising that Takeda also taught many judoka of the time. His son, Tokumine, tells nicely crafted stories of all the judoka his father had beaten, as if they walked up, tried to apply a choke, and of course, Sokaku was victorious. Judo indeed has a lot of tradition as does aikijujutsu, and I don't really think one would get an argument that ajj is really a gendai art as well, uless you believe that the Takeda (Aizu warrior) clan can be traced back a millenia as some (one really) websites would have us believe. While I believe a long history of something can make it traditional, it doesn't necessarily mean that one is, or is not, koryu or gendai. Most koryu practitioners argue that it must be experienced in Japan, but with that reasoning, one must be fully aware that what they do will die a miserable death if nothing is done to bring it forward in time, and no matter what it is, it is always modern to some degree, as you have eloquently described it. Many koryu teachers require one to have a background in judo, or something else modern, to be able to understand the koryu, no matter which it is. Aikido balances a vicarious position in that it be considered not even a martial art, or budo, and that is just not true.

BTW: Didn't you know that Ueshiba was the original hippy? His thoughts on peace, harmony, and love come straight from the texts "How to be a hippy and be one for life?" http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif

As to why there are few topics in the judo forum, well, it needs some kind of controversy to help it out of the doldrums, and this could be a catalyst as I believe this to be your hope. Unfortunatly, not that many come here to start a discussion, although Jody Holeton began a fine discussion on a judo waza called yama arashi. Although many have pointed out what that throw could be, I don't think we will ever really know, but that is just me. I would prefer it remain a question, one to be discussed through out the next century. It has been that since the time that throw was first discussed. Personnally, I would love to moderate this forum, but I am sure John Lindsey wants to keep this one as his baby as I don't have near the resources as he does, but one never knows.

I also agree with you on the refinemnt and/or evolvement of koryu, that it is dead, as long as those who "tinker" with these arts realize this is going to happen, no matter if they try and try and try to keep koryu as it was originally meant. It just does not have this kind of manner of use it used to have. The argument that one must study it in Japan is the same argument Kano made, although he was not nearly so particular where, as long as it was done according to the Kodokan, and that there be many more qualified instructors. I really don't see any difference here. If one wants to study the culture, language, and the MA of Japan, it would simply be to one's advantage to learn as much of the culture, mainly through learning its language, and understand as much a possible of its people before undertaking such a daunting task. If someone is willing to go through this first, he would be at much greater advantage than simply going and finding the teacher of your koryu, whether you know who to look up or not. Nakamura sensei made a beautiful ananogy about "the dirt under one's feet" not being of much importance. But, I will say this: If one is truly interested in the culture, the language, the people, and not just those involved in MA (Only one-percent of the popualtion of Japan does any form of MA), then by all means go, if you can. But I do not believe it necessary to go to any country to learn just one thing. It must all be of value for it to mean something. There are an awful ot of Japanese who come here or other Western populations, than Westerners who go there. Is there something they know which we don't?

Playing nice is known all over the world. It doesn't need to be done anywhere in particular to do it. Combining koryu and gendai is just great. I couldn't think of a better way of understanding the spirit of koryu and the knowledge of modern budo. Main rule here: Play hard, but play fair http://216.10.1.92/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum