PDA

View Full Version : Fun Training Drills

Prince Loeffler
4th June 2003, 06:52
I'd Like to see if anyone here if could share some of their favorite fun & exciting training drills. I'll start with mine:

This one I called: Seek & Destroy

This drill is for all level. First have the defender hold a shield in front of his/her body. Depending on the kick of the day, (I prefer Front Kicks for starter), the attacker's mission is to hit the shield.

Now the fun part. The defender's job is to shuffle back, side step..etc to evade the attackers line of attack.

NOTE: The defender must never twist the shield around, Defender must keep shield in front of his / her body at all times, Otherwise defender risk of getting hit by the attacker.

The attacker must chase after the defender, focusing on the shield.

Do this for 3 minutes or for all blackbelts 5 minutes.

Benefits:

The defender can learn evasive footworks, The attacker can learn distance control and timing. Overall its a great cardio drill !

Gene Williams
4th June 2003, 10:39
We do that, but without the shield:D Gene

Budoka 34
4th June 2003, 11:20
We do a three step sparring drill where one partner attacks thru three steps(i.e. 3punch, 3kick, or combos). Then the other partner counters three steps(i.e. block, strike, kick, or combo). Start slow and build speed until you are flowing. Attack and counter becomes one fluid motion. Once it becomes fluid we add takedowns, chokes, joint locks, etc.

I have alot of fun with this one.

:smilejapa

Gene Williams
4th June 2003, 13:38
Here is one I like for seniors: Two lines facing each other on either side of the dojo. Start with line A walking toward line B, which remains stationary in a natural stance, heiko dachi, whatever...no fighting stances. Line A walks at a normal pace. At some point, each person in line A launches an all out attack on the person facing them in Line B. They do this when they feel they are at their best striking distance, so this will vary with each person. The guy in line B has to defend in any way he likes. Initially, line B just waits for the attack. Later, you can allow line b to attack first if he feels the guy in line a is within his striking range first. Later, let both lines walk toward each other and whoever feels they are in their strikimng range first attacks. Now, these have to be all out attacks, no bouncy sparring. Tackles and takeddowns are allowed, too.
For juniors or a slower pace, designate what attack line A can use. This has really generated some explosive, good stuff in our dojo. You have to remind people that they need to be sure they are within their comfortable attack zone so they don't do a weak technique trying to get there first. Gene

Prince Loeffler
5th June 2003, 16:30
Gene,

This sounds like a new drill, I can assume that line A will launch a "surprise attack". I'll try this this weekend.

As for my drill, the shield is there so that the attacker can do full power kicks on a moving and evasive target non-stop for five minutes.

I had several 8th and 9th kyus who boasted they would like to do the full 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes runs to the bathroom to worship the porcelain god after several round :D :D

Wow, 8000 plus members and only 3 have shared their ideas so far :p

Gene Williams
5th June 2003, 17:07
Yes, Line A attacks at random and with any attack he chooses. I have even had them run at line B. Gene

Sochin
5th June 2003, 19:55
Ok, we call this a dragon circle and it seems that they have fun:

Everyone is quite close together in a circle, doesn't really matter how big.

Assume a fighting stance facing the center, then the leader kicks the peron to his side with a side snap or thrust kick. The receiver gets to call for more or less contact but he must take it and not twist away or block, (especialy, no elbows!).

As soon as he receives the kick, he sends it on by kicking the next person in line. As soon as the leader sees he has sent it on, he kicks #2 again, who repeats the kick. So in a matter of minutes, everyone is either kicking or getting kicked. The timing and changing concentration make this seem to go faster that it is, you can kick for a long time and they are still into it.

A good leader doesn't let any holes develope in the flow and he ends a round by stopping his kicks.

This seems to work best for side kicks and the roundhouse.

7999 to go!