PDA

View Full Version : Kinteki.com

Steve Williams
5th June 2003, 23:46
Just to say that I have now ordered from www.kinteki.com on two seperate occasions, and have nothing but good things to say about the product and the service.
The goods arrived promptly, and I was informed of progress by e-mail, better than a lot of online companies I have dealt with.

They do a lot of different martial arts equipment, not just Shorinji Kempo 'stuff'.

If you haven't tried them out, and you need a new do-gi then go there now..... www.kinteki.com

And no, I do not have a link to the company, apart from Knowing Jason and Angela who run the company...... they are/were kenshi from Brixton branch UK.

Steve Williams
5th June 2003, 23:48
They also offer an "adjustment" service (they can shorten the sleeves/leg length of do-gi).

I had this done, and it was a very "proffessional" job they did too :D

Steve Williams
5th June 2003, 23:50
Actually I have heard one "bad" thing about them......

One of my Japanese friends said "this is one of the best places for Shorinji Kempo do-gi online, but how can I tell my friends to go to a place called groin" ;) :) :D

OK, its not really a bad thing, just a comical annecdote.

Robert Liljeblad
6th June 2003, 09:10
Hi Steve,

Kinteki - ‹à“I (as in kinteki geri)
The first kanji means gold and the second kanji means bull's eye, mark or target. Sounds like a good name to me. But if Japanese people are thinking of groin then there could be a marketing problem :)

Regards,

Steve Williams
6th June 2003, 10:07
Hi Robert

I know that the translation is "gold target" or something similar.

But this was a japanese kenshi who said it, so I guess he was using the "kempo translation" rather than the direct one ;)

David Dunn
6th June 2003, 10:30
My Japanese office colleague understands 'kinteki geri' perfectly well, and he's no martial artist. Must be quite a common name.

He told me to check out 'tamakeri' on Google. Some people do this for fun, apparently.

Steve Williams
6th June 2003, 11:10
So he understood it as "golden target kick" or "groin kick"??
Makes a lot of difference :eek:

Ah the "ball kicking" phenomenon...... we talked about it on baffling budo a few months (years?) ago :nono: :eek: :D

David Dunn
6th June 2003, 11:17
I have just asked him if it is a common word. He said "newscasters don't use it, and it's best not to say it to the boss." But essentially it's known as an anatomical region. He is presently laughing his head off at the very mention of the word :D

Gary Dolce
6th June 2003, 15:12
I have heard some Kenshi here in the US mispronounce it as Kentucky, as in "....and then you kick him in Kentucky".

On the other hand, years ago I knew a Kenshi originally from Japan, who as you might expect, had a hard time pronouncing groin. It ended up sounding something like "...and then you kick him in the groaning area". I always thought that was a particularly apt mispronunciation.

Finally, my own "kinteki" related mispronunciation - a few years ago I was teaching hiza uke kinteki geri nami gaeshi, but was consistently mispronouncing "nami" as "name". Finally a native speaker pointed out that one translation of "name" is "lick" and that I might not want to use "kinteki" and "lick" in the same sentence.:)

John McCollum
6th June 2003, 18:57
It's a real shame you don't live a few hundred miles to the south: You'd be Kentucky Gary!

Gary Dolce
6th June 2003, 19:56
I love it! This one made me laugh out loud. Of course, now I have to move .....

One more mispronunciation story, not directly about kinteki, but in the same general vicinity:

About a year ago, I was giving the "meaning of hokei" howa and as I continued I noticed that a Japanese white belt, who also happens to be a doctor, had a very puzzled and concerned look on his face. I finally stopped and asked him if he had a question. He turned to one of the other Japanese speakers in the club and said, "Hokei?". The other person responded, "Hokei". You could see the light bulb go off as the doctor said, "Oh, hokei!". The non-Japanese speakers all laughed because most of us couldn't hear any obvious difference in the two words. Meanwhile the Japanese speakers were laughing at something else. The doctor then proceeded to tell all of us that he was confused because it sounded like I was using the Japanese medical term for an operation akin to circumcision.

So now I know the true meaning of hokei (but I still don't know how you would romanize the medical term).

Steve Williams
6th June 2003, 21:10
Ummm Ok guys, as comical as this is lets get it back on topic shall we.....

I know it was my fault that it drifted :eek: but can we keep it to discussing the merits of the kinteki.com website, not the name ;)

Oh feel free to keep the discussion of the kinteki name in the other thread I started...... :)